It has been cold this week - oh, so cold. Some days it didn't get out of the single digits and nights were well below zero. Brrrrr. We are having a heat wave coming through starting today! LOL. We MAY hit 32* today, but we have snow, ice and rain coming through as well. The weather man says we may get to the upper 40's by the end of the week. People will be out in shorts (seriously). People around here are crazy!
We reached a couple record lows this week that broke weather records that stood for over 100 years.
I feel sorry for those in the southern hemisphere as well. Our friends in Australia are having some terribly hot temps that I don't think most of us would want to endure.
Hope everyone stays safe - whether hot or cold!
I can't get our garage door open. It doesn't appear to be frozen, but perhaps the locking release is broken. I guess we will call the door repair guys this week, although I hate to. I do need in there, as bird seed and squirrel feed is in there, as well as freezer number 2. I guess we will bite the bullet.
My frugal week:
- I made pudding with chilled shelf stable milk that was needing to be used
- Saved boxes, bags, tissue paper, and card fronts for next years Christmas
- Changed out the furnace filter on Jan. 1 with one on hand
- I know it sounds crazy - but I made ice cream. I use a big spoonful daily in my homemade mocha frappe - I ran out and wasn't leaving home.
- I want to show you my home crafted gifts I received for Christmas - meant to show them before now
- I did some re-arranging on the basement pantry - still more work to do
- I have worked some on the craft area - it makes my head spin!!
- Got the upstairs pantry all cleaned out and organized. YAY one thing DONE!
- Stayed home until yesterday. Hadn't left the property since the Thursday before new years. I was getting cabin fever big time.
- I did a cat food run - mainly dry food
- While buying cat food at WM (cheapest) I walked the perimeter of the store and I found a 14.8 lb. Cumberland Gap (so yum) whole semi boneless ham on clearance. This will provide so many meals in the future. I love Cumberland Gap products, but generally will not pay the price they cost! This was a deal.
- While out, I also ran up the road to Kroger (yeah I know). I got milk (1.39/gal.), a bag of 5 yellow tomatoes (.99/bag) and a bag of 3 huge orange bell peppers (.99/bag).
- We have really been using the heck out of the bagged veggies I got for 1.99/bag before new years - sure has come in handy
- I soaked a 3/4 lb. of black eyed peas last weekend. Used part for NY dinner and the others went in freezer for quick cooking at a later date.
- Using the Soda stream a lot this week
Meals this past week:
Seafood assortment for NY Eve - our yearly feast!
Corned beef, cabbage, and blacked eyed peas (NY day tradition)
Reuban sandwiches, chips, and dill pickles (kraut and pickles home canned - chips from get together)
Steak burgers, dirty rice, and fresh veggies as a side
Strip steaks, roasted veggies with mushroom gravy
Beef and bean burritos
Cheeseburgers, baked beans, and fresh veggies as side (in Italian dressing)
I had decided to strive for a no spend pantry challenge for the month of January, except for essentials. I told G the other day, we have been eating basically from the pantry for weeks and it hasn't even made a dent. I did get the ham and fresh items, so that isn't too bad. I really don't need anything else for quite a while.
I do believe we could eat from our pantries/freezers for months and months (except maybe milk, eggs, & fresh). I even have frozen eggs, powdered eggs, shelf stable milk and lots of veggies and fruit canned - so we are in good shape.
I plan to work on my project list more this week. Looking forward to a few days of warmer temperatures!
How was your first week of the year? What are you working on? Any deals?
Who else wants to join in the no spend pantry challenge his month?
Prayers that you all stay safe and healthy in the coming week. I pray those feeling frigid temps get a reprieve as well as those suffering the extreme heat. God bless you all my friends!