It sure is hot! The weather wasn't bad at all through Wednesday - then the heat wave hit.
We had rain a couple times and lots and lots of heat.
According to the weather man the temps will be in the 90's at least for the next week if not longer. We are getting close to setting records on the number of 90* days already.
Working at keeping fresh hummingbird nectar out, and keeping lots of fresh water out for kitties, squirrels and birdies. They sure are loving the birdbath!
It is working out nicely having our friend live next door. He hasn't been in a home for many years (always apartments), so there are many items he needs for working on things. We are right next door and he can borrow what he needs - in turn he has done a few projects for us to help us out. Love barter!
My frugal week:
- Got lots of yard work done while cooler at the beginning of week
- Line dried laundry
- Spilled a big glass of sweet sticky drink first thing Monday morning in the living room. OH MY! Needless to say - Monday became the day to clean. Started cleaning the mess - which led into an unintended deep clean!
- Picked our first crops other than lettuce and rhubarb. First pick was zucchini, peppers and okra. I picked several more zucchini during the week!!!!
- Saw a big groundhog 2 days earlier in week. Set live trap and he hasn't been seen since. I think that critter has had a education on the finer points of being captured!!!!!!! My thoughts are he has been caught before.
- Gutters got a good cleaning during a bad storm this week! They are all cleared out.
- Cleaned all the woods floors.
- Rehydrated mushrooms and onions for recipes this week
- Refilled all the spice jars and glass storage jars with inventory from downstairs
- Fixed the toilet. It kept running a lot. we had a new inner flapper, which I put in - but it still ran. It just didn't fit like the old one. I looked at the old one and it had a lot of buil up hardened water calcification on it. I cleaned well and put it back in - FIXED!
- Did all running on one day. Local hardware for G, library to donate some books, gas station, Dollar Tree to replenish snacks, and ran by Kroger and Aldi.
- Gas received .30/gal. discount with May points that needed used. Most of the points came from weekend doubling and free points with surveys. Only needed a half tank.
- Bought ice cream at Aldi - had big tubs (1 gal +1 qt.) for 3.99
- Bought more .39/lb.. bananas at Kroger and a head of cabbage. There were NO sales worth stocking up on in my opinion. Figured with the holiday coming up - there would be.
- Made banana pudding
- Used rain water on plants when needed
- Broke my frame on glasses. Found an old pair so as to see - fixing them. I can see better at a distance with the old one!!!! CRAZY. I glued up the broke ones - so I am good for a while.
Meals this past week:
Leftover salad and fried shrimp
Baked pizza casserole with a rice crust
Fried zucchini, green tomatoes (canned) and onions - YUM! - My summer bliss!
Fried chicken and slaw
Smoked cheesy sausages on buns with chips
Mini burgers and zucchini salad
All leftovers were used for lunches. Had banana pudding and ice cream for snacks.
I plan on staying in as much as possible this week, as it will be a scorcher. We are supposed to get rain maybe tonight, so hopefully I won't have to water for a day or so after that.
I guess I will get more de-cluttering done and more cleaning. There is always a need for both!
How was your week? Any good deals? How are the gardens growing?
Take care my friends. Stay cool, safe, and healthy. May the Lord bless you and keep you in His loving arms.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.