This week we had some more very hot days, then a slight cooling! Actually I have had a few days that AC got turned off most of the day and windows opened. Humidity left for a couple days. Rain came back in the state and humidity has risen since then. We finally got a couple short downpours on Friday, then rain a big part of yesterday. We still have rain in the forecast for all of today and some tomorrow. It is much needed and appreciated.
I think they are predicting only one day this coming week of 90* temps, then 80's the rest of the time. That is just fine with me.
The hummingbirds have started making a lot more appearances at the feeders and at our flowers. I love hearing that little chirp of theirs. You can always tell they are in the area when you hear their little song.
It has really been a quiet week around here - just the way I like it!
My frugal week:
- Organized and inventoried the upright freezer and the kitchen freezer. I found things I had forgotten about. I did make a list - here's hoping I keep it up! I still have the chest freezer to do - but cooler temps are needed for that, as it is in the garage.
- Watered with rain water as needed.
- Both rain barrels are now FULL again - as I had virtually emptied both.
- Line dried laundry
- Tried a couple new recipes in the past week or so, and was happy with both
- No grocery shopping this week.
- Didn't leave - stayed home all week.
- Our neighbor (friend) went to Gleaner's (food pantry) this week and received a bunch of food. He had no choice in what he received - so he got some things he doesn't eat or couldn't use. He gave us 12 ears of corn (he got 2 doz.), 3 bags of baby kale salad mix, and 12 bags of Soy/Rice casserole mix (I had never heard of it).
I decided to store in a gallon glass jar with instructions attached. 5 bags filled the gallon jar!!! Guess we are set for a while.
- I froze 8 ears of corn, chopped okra from garden and froze, and froze ripe bananas as well.
- Picked rhubarb again this week and it is in the freezer as well.
- Picked 15 pounds of produce this week from garden.
- Made an Amish banana pudding (new recipe) - that was like a combo banana pudding & cheese cake. Oh my - rich and yummy! Lasted many days.
- Got to do lots of yard work (in/around flower beds) this week while it was cooler. Didn't need to mow.
- I separated out the baby kale from the salad fixings we were given and I cooked the kale in ham broth yesterday. That will be added to todays dinner! YUM
- Our neighbor/friend's girlfriend gave him a 'surprise' 65th birthday dinner/party yesterday. Dinner was provided by her. Good time and free dinner by walking next door.
By the way that first one from last week was fantastic!!!!
Meals this past week:
Leftover antipasto melt sandwiches and broccoli salad
Burgers with sautéed onion/peppers, mac and cheese and sliced tomato
Breaded chicken fillets, mashed/cheesy squash, and salad
Creamy squash soup - 2X
Chicken flavored rice mix, steamed broccoli, corn and tomatoes
Dinner at our neighbor/friends house
So as you can see it was very quiet here. I did manage to add quit a few items to the winter pantry - between the garden and the free items we received.
I just feel that we were so blessed this week. What a windfall.
I imagine this coming week will be almost as quiet. I do need to make a run to the feed store this week for bird/squirrel goodies. Hopefully that will be it.
How was your week? Did you get any garden goodies? Frugal deals this week?
Wishing you all a blessed week of health and happiness. Stay safe and continue to keep your heart with God. Always remember - all things are possible with Him.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.