We had muggy hot weather most of the week, but everything started changing Friday. Winds were blowing in, and cooling it down. Humidity levels dropped away! I got to turn off the air all day yesterday and it's still off. I love airing out the house. Goodness knows the AC unit needed a break - it will be needed a lot in a few days again.
We have been enjoying having an abundance of blue jays around lately. I have seen at least 4 at a time all week! Usually we see one or two - they sure are majestic looking. They are really enjoying peanuts! They are taking lots of baths like the robins and red-wing black birds. They are so entertaining to watch.
The garden is doing great. I have been picking a lot of things and we are sure enjoying them. I got out my zucchini cookbook last night. It's getting to that time - trying to come up with fun uses!
My frugal week:
- Line dried laundry
- Got to utilize the cooler days to do a huge cleanup of the yard. Pulled weeds, mowed, trimmed, picked. It looks so pretty!
- I ran to Meijer, as they had dry cat food on sale. I got 3 - 16 lb. bags. Will be good for a long while on that - also added 48 cans to stock.
- I also found ground beef on sale for 1.79/lb. and got 10 more pounds for the freezer (take advantage when I can). 6 ears of fresh corn $1.
- Then I impulse bought and splurged!!!! YIKES!! I saw a Bissell vacuum on sale - and decided to buy it. I HATE the Hoover I got last year!!!!!!!! It is so stinking heavy and it over heats a lot (never get everything done in one sweep). The Bissell is probably a quarter the weight and works beautifully. Then I really splurged and bought a second small one for basement and doing the steps and it separates into a hand held. I spent less on both than the one last year. Now, I am happy - I have tools that I like to work with.
- A friend brought 2 pieces of red, white, and blue pie to us on the 4th. Boy that was yummy
- Brought up coffee and oil from basement storage for the pantry
- Have 2 FREE movie channels this weekend - so recording movies for later
- Made fruit salad
- Also ran to Kroger for fruit. I got bananas for .39/lb. again. Apples in .99 bag. Strawberries $1/lb. (got 2 lbs.) and 3 peaches. Also managed to luck into finding 12 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breast on markdown for .99/lb. My freezer is happy!
- Picked a total of 7 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, a few okra, and 6 cukes this week
My Independence Day harvest - picking lots of stuff this week.
- Eating lots of goodies from the garden
- Been using rain water on the garden
- I cooked baby back ribs for the 4th. I cooked them in the crockpot for many hours before using the oven. It kept the house much cooler. (NOTE: they were wonderful!)
Meals this past week:
Mexican beef over rice
Leftover Mex. beef & rice cooked with added zucchini and peppers (like goulash)
Steak burgers, corn and salad
BBQ ribs and macaroni salad
Jalapeno & cheese stuffed zucchini boats and salad
Skillet meatloaves and butter/parmesan sautéed zucchini/onion
Swiss cheese/mushroom chicken, fried potatoes and fried okra (from garden)
Eating fruit salad for evening snacks
All leftovers eaten for other meals or frozen for later
There you have it. Nothing real exciting. Just plugging along and enjoying all the fresh garden goodies. Enjoying cooler weather, and happily watching all of our nature. The outdoor kitties have sure been enjoying the cooler weather! I see them a lot more - they aren't hanging out under the deck in the shade! Bless their hearts.
How was your week? Did you get any good deals? How are the gardens coming along?
Stop by and say hello. I love hearing from everyone!
God bless and keep you all in safety and health in this coming week.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.