What a strange week it has been. I stood for 2 days cooking, but it was worth it. I sent food home for 2 other families, and we will be eating on the meat for many more meals in the future. Lots and lots of food.
We had our 12 year old 'baby' kitty pass over the rainbow bridge. That has been so very sad for us and for the other kitties. THANK YOU all for your kind words this week.
I didn't do ANY Black Friday shopping this year. I generally go to Menards only on Black Friday - but was pre-occupied this year and had no interest at all.
We have had cold and cloudy days. We also had about 3-4 days of actual sun! How wonderful. Today is foggy yet partly sunny - the calm before the storm. Tonight a front moves in and it supposed to get quite windy and rainy (here) and temps dropped. Tuesday is supposed to have a high in the 20's!! YUK!
My frugal week:
- Finished deep cleaning (I thought) before Thanksgiving. This weekend I have thrown myself back into it trying to keep busy. I have de-cluttered more, trashed more and cleaned even more!
- I do believe I have laundered everything that wasn't nailed down! Gotta keep my mind busy.
- All laundry in cold and many items line drying in the basement (free humidity!)
- Our friend/neighbor brought me some goodies he got a food pantry and doesn't eat. We got 2 bottles of mint choc. syrup for ice cream, flavored oats and a chicken salad/cracker snack
- He also mowed our front & side yard while mowing his for the last time. It mulched up leaves and looks nice.
- Eating lots and lots of leftovers this week!
- I made 8 bags (2 C each) of ham broth for the freezer
- Turkey carcass is in the freezer to be made into stock at another time
- I did run to Kroger for weekend specials. I got limit 5 - 1 lb. butter for 1.99 ea. Also got 5 boxes (various flavors) of Triscut crackers for .99 ea. And I purchased a 6 quart - really nice - crockpot for a gift for 19.99.
- I did a quick color job on my hair (FINALLY). I mixed and used 1/3 a box of dye.
- Bagged and froze lots of ham and turkey for future meals. Slices and many bags of pieces for soups and beans. We had a lot left after eating on it for 3 days and gifting a bunch. Considering turkey cost .37/lb. and my ham was a clearance ham that cost .89/lb. - not too snaggy! Lots of cheap meals.
- Got all the extra holiday cooking pans put back up in the closet in basement. Some pans I only use a couple times a year
- Totally cleaned and straightened the laundry room area
Meals this past week:
Shepherd pie and salad (I had made 2 pies last week)
Fried chicken and salad
Chicken/bean/rice burritos (beans/rice from freezer - chicken leftover)
Turkey Manhattan's (hot turkey sandwich - split, mashed pots and everything smothered in gravy)
Ham, turkey - dressing and green bean casserole
Snacks - holiday sweets! Cherry cheesecake, fruity Jello salad, and brownies
Exactly one month from today is Christmas Day - oh my. It will be here before we know it. Are you ready? I am getting there, but more to do. Oh, and there is all the baking and goodies! We will definitely be watching our diets after the new year!!!!!!!
How was your week? Any great deals to be had? Tell us how you have been frugal.
I pray you are all safe and healthy, as well as your families. Remember to take a moment each and every day to be thankful for the people, pets and things you have in your lives - it's what makes life special.
Blessings this week from our humble home to yours.