I do believe we all have several pantries in our homes. Many may not think of some things as pantries - but it helps when you do.
Yes we have food, but what about gifts, health, crafts, freezers? I think we all have separate areas for these things - so if you look at them as different pantries - it will help when stocking.
FOOD pantries -
Try to keep them organized - it aids you in saving money and knowing what you need. If you have things that have gotten stuck in the back - it may end up going to waste, and also you may go out and spend money on something you already have.
* Always put oldest items to the front - use them first
* Organize by category - keep soups together, fruit together, spices, baking items, dressings and condiments, pasta, etc. You see where I am going with that? It makes it so much easier finding things.
* Don't buy things you won't use!!!!!!
* Get creative - use up things that are getting older to make something new or different. Don't waste.
* If you have a secondary or over flow pantry area - keep like items together and know what you have. 'Shop' from it before going to the store.
* If you have little ones around - maybe keep a snack basket for them at their level
* Check your pantry before you go shopping - know what you are low on, what you have plenty of, and what you might get if the price is right. Don't run out of things - it costs you extra money!!!! If you are anything like me - it is almost impossible to walk in a store and buy ONE THING!
It is harder (for me) to use older items first. I have a tendency to get new items and stick them in the front. I am usually in a hurry - and that is where they go. NOT GOOD! We need to be as efficient with our freezers as our dry pantries.
It is VERY wise to do a sorting, organizing, clean out, inventory, what ever you want to call it at least 2X a year.
I noticed reader LaurieS said on FB that she did hers this week. It is amazing what we can find in there. Her mission is to use up the older stuff. I did this a while back as well.
Good job Laurie!!!!
If you all think about it, write down what you have and stick that on the freezer - it sure does help to use it up!
Keep those frozen goods organized as well.
Debby in KS mentioned in the comments on the last post - to get that cold/flu pantry stocked now. VERY WISE! It is that time of the year - that folks will be getting sick. You sure don't want to run out or have someone else come in while your sick - no need making others sick. Have tissues, cold meds, antihistamines, Pepto, Vitamin C and Zink, clear liquids, soothing soups, etc. Stock up on all those items that will help you feel better.
Keep it where you can get to it and have it sorted by product. You sure don't ant to go searching for stuff when you feel bad.
I just recently went through my gift basket to see what I have on hand. I have a huge tote that holds items I purchased on sales/clearance all year long. It sure does help with Christmas baskets I make up. It is also nice to have items on hand for special gifts - birthday, cheering up someone, maybe even helping a random stranger.
It aids in not spending as much money at the holidays. This can be an expensive time of the year for a lot of people. Some people go into debt for gift giving - DON'T do that!!!!!! Buy along the way and you will be ready!
Keep an area JUST FOR gift items. Keep it straightened so nothing gets lost in the shuffle.
Many of you craft items for gifts. Keep those items together and keep you supplies organized and together. Shop at sales and use coupons. Keeping your crafting and sewing area organized saves money and time.
Norma does a lot of crafting for Vets and those in need. She is always on the lookout for yarn in different places. If she weren't organized with her supplies, she would spend a lot more money.
I know my crafting/sewing area is always in need of organization. I see some gals post pictures of their areas and I am envious!
Organization saves so much money. If you keep the many pantries of your home organized you will easily find what you need when you need it, you won't have items go to waste, and you will MOST DEFINATELY save money.
Each one of you has a special talent and can be so creative. It is heartwarming to read all the comments you all leave, and know that there are so many special gals gathered together here willing to help one another.
It is nice that we each add ideas and tips to make life a little easier for all.
Now go and get organized!!!!! LOL