Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Thanks & Giving - The World

I know that the Thanksgiving holiday celebration is an American tradition.  It represents the  celebration of the Pilgrims and their Indian friends in the fall of 1621 - giving thanks for their first harvest in the new land.

We now get together each November with family for Thanksgiving.  It is supposed to be a day of giving thanks for all we have.
In that 'definition' - it can be celebrated whenever you want and should be celebrated all over the world.  Having a day of giving thanks should just be a regular event for everyone.
As a child, basically every Sunday was a day of thanks.  Lots of family appeared at and around the table and we had wonderful large meals - no one was ever turned away, and there always seemed to be enough!  Granted, it wasn't on the grand scale of Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter - but it was always a celebration of thanks and family.

It seems that now the day has become a day of over indulging and football and parades.  It is considered the day the holiday season really begins in America.  It is the day for giving thanks for what we have - so the next day/days can be spent spending money we don't necessarily have  on things no one really needs and fighting with strangers over that stuff - just a time gluttony (on many levels).
If you live somewhere other than the U.S. - you just can't comprehend the total and absolute madness of 'Black Friday' (the day after Thanksgiving).  It truly is shameful!

 
I challenge EACH OF YOU no matter what country you live in - to spend the day or a day that you pick, truly giving thanks for all your blessings.  Make it a true celebration.
I  give thanks each and every day on some level.
Days that we get to spend with family are joyous and special.


In the U.S. we are now heading into the coldest part of the year.  There are so many folks that have no homes, no proper clothing, no nutritious food, and they live on the streets.  I just can not fathom this!  Many are families.  I know for a fact it happens - it just is so hard for my brain to understand and comprehend.  How can we allow this to happen?
The nights that get so cold, my mind wonders to these folks and how they are trying to survive and stay warm.  (I realize for some it is a choice - but not all).

If you have a family (could just be you and your other), a roof over your head, warmth, food to nourish you body (no matter how simple) and a reasonable amount of health - you are INDEED BLESSED!!!!!!!
Not everyone is so fortunate.


So please, IF you find yourself out shopping this weekend or anytime - thinks of others,  Maybe buy a few inexpensive fleece throws, cheap gloves or stocking caps, thrift store blankets, non-used (from your home) winter coats, etc. and give to the local shelter or food kitchen to help others.  Getting super deals at the grocery?   Donate some to food pantries for those in need.
Think of others less fortunate - that is what the entire holiday season is about.
THAT IS WHAT LIFE IS ABOUT!

We have always donated to the shelters and food pantries.  ALSO, think about getting some small toys for the kids that are part of homeless families in shelters - they don't understand why they have nothing.

I believe as citizens of Earth, we have an obligation to help others.  If each and every person did SOMETHING, no matter how small, for another person - this would be one totally blessed and wonderful world.

BE KIND, BE GIVING, LOVE those LESS fortunate.
Be the help that you want to see.  The next time you think, "something should be done" - be one that DOES SOMETHING!!!

THANKS AND GIVING BLESSINGS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AROUND THE WORLD!

20 comments:

  1. I know my brother is on the streets and it makes me sad. Yet there is nothing I can do for him. Bless those who can and will. I give hoping others will give to him. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we can't help those we want to help - but by helping someone else - it's a wonderful gift.
      Hoping he finds shelter, community and good food.
      Thank you. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
    2. I completely understand. My brother called me 6 months ago to ask for help that I'm not capable of giving. I haven't heard from him since. My mom spent 45 years giving her life to try and save his. All her money. She ended up losing her home and into a voucher motel before she finally gave up and had me go get her in California. She died a year later, certainly from a broken heart. I'm smart enough to know that I can't do what she couldn't. I told my brother that and that he needed to start by getting on his knees. It doesn't mean I don't worry and don't care.

      Delete
    3. Oh Debby that is so sad. I think many, many parents will give their all to TRY to save a child - who simply doesn't want to be saved.
      Of course you care and love him - but be proud that you know you can not save him - only he can. Your little family unit comes first.
      I am sorry you gals have to experience this. I will pray for both of your families as well.
      Blessings

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving Ellen. I hope you get to enjoy time with family.
      Blessings

      Delete
  3. Great post! Blessings to you and your household this Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      Blessings to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  4. We don't do Thanksgiving dinner. But I do give thanks in prayer every day. :) We're painting our master bedroom and bathroom. Next week I'll ache!!! I hope everyone enjoys their holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you will have an eventful day! Hope you don't hurt to bad.
      I do find it refreshing that there are folks that do not get caught up in festivities and just quietly give thanks.
      Have a nice day!

      Delete
  5. his is a topic very near and dear to my heart. It breaks my heart to know that people are hungry, homeless, living in their cars. Both of the Walmarts in the town we shop in have homeless communities in the woods behind them.

    There is a man here who has a Facebook group called Bill's Backpacks. He lets people donate items to him and he makes up backpacks to leave in the homeless communities. He even gives them to people he sees out and about who he knows are homeless. And sometimes they have tears in their eyes when he gives them one of the backpacks filled with useful items. It's so great to give back and help people and try to lift them up. Great blog post, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to do. It is heart breaking to know people are out in the cold and all the weather.
      We all need to do a little something ALL THE TIME, not just at the holidays. It could truly change the world.
      Thanks
      Have a great one.

      Delete
  6. I love your post Cheryl. Thank you for the kind words on my last comment.

    I wish people were more kind to strangers during the holidays. I was a street kid (teenager years) & what I remember the most was the cruelty and gluttony of others during the holidays. I would go to a store just to get something to survive and I would be crushed, treated rudely, etc.... I remember how horrible that felt. I felt so unloved. This was the X-mas present strangers gave me a young innocent girl who was alone in the world. That still resonance with me to this day and it's been over thirty years. People need to be kind and not so self-centered. It could be the rudeness of a stranger that is buying a gift for a relative they hate that could send another stranger to suicide. Holidays are hard and terribly lonely for so many.

    DH & I were talking about the holidays tonight. We were both in tears. We work hard to make Holidays beautiful for others. We don't have beautiful memories of our own. We have our sweet memories we have made together. My DH & I went to a store one time. The tired temp worker said a tired hello to us. We said hello to her and started our shopping. We overheard the manager tell this girl "Those two always make you feel loved." DH & I were so shocked and we were brought to tears. We were both struggling that day with holiday blues. I am telling you kind words, kind heart are the only present anyone needs.

    Happy Thanksgiving sweet lady. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you went through that and sooooo sorry that you were treated so badly. People can be so cruel. I have always figured that a kind word, or a kind deed could actually change a day, a week, a month, or maybe a life.
      This is a very hard time of the year for many. It can be quite depressing and overwhelming for sure.
      It seems each year people get more self absorbed - and that is such a shame. It is so refreshing to come here, and realize that there are so many kind souls left. You ladies all inspire me!!!!

      Please know you and your husband are living RIGHT and blessing others. Thank you and love from me.

      Delete
  7. Good morning Cheryl. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your husband. Your words ring true. I make sure to get out and work at my local church food pantry when I can, crochet hats and blankets that are lovingly put together for those who are cold, and will make a thousand calls to try to get someone into a shelter or get them even overnight shelter if that is what they need. A phone call, a couple of dollars, a warm smile and sometimes just a bottle of water, can make someone's day. Again, Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN Norma. Thank you for all you do. You have a kind heart.
      Agree, a simple gesture can change every thing. I think we have all felt that at some point. I know I have been having bad days, and get that little gesture or word that changes my mood that day.

      Have a wonderful day with family. Thank you

      Delete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Thoughtful post.
    Many people struggle everyday and the holidays seem to make it worse when commercials constantly are telling you, you should be feeling different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie. Yes, many people do struggle. We are constantly fed info that life is happy, sunny, and beautiful all over. That is not the case for a lot of people.
      Depression is a serious issue. No one should be made to feel even worse because of exaggerated ideals.

      Happy Thanksgiving my friend - to you and yours.

      Delete