Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Rule of Half

Have you ever heard of this?  
It is basically the story of my life, and has been for ages.  Now there are stories about this idea on the news!  They are saying it's the new way of thinking!  LOL- it's been the frugal way forever!!

The idea is to use half or less of just about everything.
Manufacturers recommend serving sizes, measures and uses for items.  Their purpose?  To get you to use up the product and buy more - thus making more money.
Frugal folks have been using LESS for ages and SAVING money.  This principle can be utilized for just about anything.

If you go out to eat - try buying one meal and splitting it.  Buy just appetizers and split.  Order water.  Buy one dessert (or better yet - eat dessert at home).

I like to buy concentrated fruit juice - I always add at least one extra can of water than that it states to use.  If making kids drinks like Kool-aid - use less sugar than called for.
Try using a little less coffee in a pot each day.  Use a tea bag more than once.



Soaps of all kinds can be watered down.  I have a bottle that I fill 1/3 with shampoo  - then add water.  Let it 'melt' for a day then shake.  It makes more suds than full strength.
Make you own foaming soap - 1/3 bottle (soft soap bottle) of body wash or liquid soap and fill with water.  Works perfectly.
Liquid laundry soap - I always use a lot less than recommended.  Soap doesn't easily wash out of clothes and can actually damage them.  Most people don't actually get their clothes that dirty - so less soap works fine.  Now if you have mud or grease on clothes you will need to experiment.

                       Dish soap watered down and a splash of vinegar added to help cut grease.

Along the lines of laundry soap - cut fabric softener sheets into 1/3 or 1/2 size pieces - works just as well.  Better yet, just use vinegar in your rinse - or throw in a drier ball or ball of foil into the drier.

All cleaning products can be diluted down.  Simple remedy - use vinegar and baking soda to clean.  Works for most things.
I also like peroxide instead of bleach - keeps whites white and colors brighter.
Toothpaste - use a pea size drop on brush and it works great.
Lotion - a little goes a long way.  Think about using a natural ingredient like coconut oil - a big jar can be purchased cheaply and will last for ages!

Food - if we eat less it is healthier.  There are many of us that could stand to lose a few pounds.  Meat should be consider a side, not a main course.  Use a palm size piece per person.  (I know this may take some getting used to - but try).
If using meat in soups, stews or casseroles - use half of what is called for and load up with veggies.
About the only place I don't recommend using half - is in baking.  Baking is more scientific than everyday cooking.
Meals for CHILDREN - place half of what you think they should have on the plate.  Odds are that will be enough - if not then give them more.  No more waste!!!!  Same idea with milk or juice - start with a half glass - then add more is needed.

Think along these lines with things like cable as well.  I can bet money that you only watch a portion of the channels you receive.  Cut back your package to basic!  Think Netflix or other service.  Cheaper and you still get variety.
Go back one level on Internet speed if possible.  Odds are you will not notice the change at all and it is cheaper. 
Do you really need that fancy phone?  Seriously - who  needs internet connections while shopping or in the car???  Use a simple phone and keep it for emergencies only.  Saves money on phone and plan!
I wish we could eliminate 'smart' phones - as they have truly DUMBED UP the world.  No one interacts much any more - they are spending all their time looking at the phone.
(OK - sorry that is a whole other rant!!)

Utilities - can be halved as well.  keep of lights when not truly needed.  I very seldom turn on a light during spring and summer months - as well have daylight early and late.  I use more in the fall/winter.  Turn them off when leaving a room.  Turn the heat down or the cool temp up.  Dress accordingly.
Don't just run water all willy-nilly!!!  Be mindful of what you use.  Do full loads of laundry.  Don't leave running when doing dishes, brushing teeth, etc.


The RULE OF HALF works for about everything.  It is the frugal way!  Use less - save money.
Consciously think about everything you use and at least TRY to half it.  You may be quite amazed!
You surely will save dollars and foil the plan of the manufacturers!!!!!  WIN - WIN!




22 comments:

  1. so many good ideas. We have been trying to cut our lights out more but it is very dark. Since it has snowed it has become brighter. Around 430 we start to turn them on again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one thing I hate about winter. I use lights a lot more. candles are nice - but when you need light.....
      have a good one.

      Delete
  2. We use the rule of half around here too. And we turn bottles upside down to use up the last of an item and wash the containers out with water to make sure we use up everything. Another great blog post, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda. I figured many of us would be that way. Frugal minds think alike!
      Use it up, wear it out............
      Have a good day

      Delete
  3. For many years I've used white vinegar instead of the product recommended in my dishwasher to prevent spots on glasses. Works beautifully and is LOTS cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip. I have heard to use it in the Swifter dust mops as well. I use it for everything!
      Thanks

      Delete
  4. Years ago, I read in a Mennonite cookbook that you can cut whatever sugar you use in a recipe in half with no difference in taste or outcome, and I've found that to be true in everything I've tried it in! It's saved a lot of money and sugar consumption here over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will definitely be trying that. Sounds like a deal, plus it has to be better for you.
      Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. Great post as usual! I started cutting sugar by 1/2 in my baking quite some time ago. No problems and I like it better. Shirley

      Delete
    3. Thanks for a second opinion on that. I am sure going to try that!

      Delete
  5. I have used this rule for years. My mother always put an extra can of water in the juice.I thought everyone did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY!!!!! Me too! It is amazing how many people have done this for years - BUT it now the new HIP thing!! LOL
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. I didnt know that this was the name of what I do. We have a three light rule in this house. There should be no more than three lights on in the house at anytime. When the TV is on at night the house lights are off. I have a standard lamp that goes on behind my chair if I want to crochet or read. This works for us. It's nice to know that what we do actually has a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good rule. I do keep a nightlight on during the over night - which aids if I need to get up. It is a tiny bulb and uses hardy any electricity. Otherwise, lights are hardly on. TV gives off plenty of light for most things with the exception of reading or close work.

      I love that you are so conscious of the lighting.
      Some of the "new age' things have names for things we have done for ages!
      Cheers

      Delete
  7. I am a half girl all the way and have been since a child. If I used full strength of everything I would be in the hospital with burns, stomach issues, etc....

    I don't have cable. It would be a waste of money in our home. My DH & I get so much grief about this. Do you know most people think that cable is a regular bill like utilities? I am serious. Do a poll with your loved ones. I bet you would be flabbergasted that they don't realize cable is an option. Of course I know some HOA's you are required to have cable, especially condo's.

    I can go one step further on Netflix and those subscriptions. Sign up for them only when you want to watch something. Queue up your shows so you can get the most of that money for the month. That's what DH & I do. We spend under $30 a year for Netflix. That thirty is on the high side. Netflix cheap for a year is around $100. I also wait for the DVD's to come out of Netflix shows and put them on hold at the library. Some shows only stream now with no DVD option.

    I have a $3 plan from T-mobile for my phone. It is only talk and text, thirty minutes a month. It is for hearing impaired but anyone can have it. I am hearing impaired.

    I hope it's OK to say that smart phone can be very smart. My DH is a professional driver. He uses his phone to plan his routes, road safety and etc... Smart phones are great tools if you used wisely. We also save a lot of money with our smart phone. I use it in stores to price compare before I buy. I use it at WalMart to price match items at WalMart online. I saved over $500 at WalMart alone this year price matching. I am hearing impaired smart phones help me "hear" in situations I had trouble before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending $30 a year for TV and movies is great. You truly couldn't do a movie night out for that price. I wouldn't have cable if it wasn't for hubs. It is kind of his life being stuck at home so much.

      Now you are a good example of the positive uses of Smart phones. My biggest complaint is young people - who seem to not be able to breath without that attached to their hands. People who ignore others because of phone. Those are the ones that irritate me to no end.

      Good going on being a halfer!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. Cheryl, another 1/2 woman here. I also, have done for so long that it is a habit, and would not know how to act using the full recommended amount. I also am a big lover of pump bottles and counting the number of "pumps" that I use for different purposes. About the only thing I can't put into a pump is bleach, it rusts the spring. So I have a measuring spoon on a string around the neck. We all have our own way to figure out these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY - so many of us!! I like pump bottles as well. My lotion is just a partial pump for my hands and face. We all know how many we need.
      Great idea on the bleach.

      Delete
  9. Great rant. Next lets talk about turning up our heater without electronics doing it for us, and not having your house hooked up to electronics that can lead to a security breach. Heard today that a burglar stood at a window and yelled for the system to unlock the door. The box was located close enough to the window that the system unlocked the door and the house was robbed. I really wondered if things are thought completely out before being implemented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. I don't want any of those electronic things in my house. We had a programmable thermostat for a short while (notice I said a short while). I hated it. If I came home early from work - I couldn't get the heat turned up without going through hell and back!
      I don't want one of those talking things in my house either - what is it called - Alexa or something.

      Just too creepy for me. I prefer things the older way.
      Thanks for the reminder on those things as well.

      Delete
  10. HI Cheryl, I just read from Blue Zones about the rule of 80%...only eat until you are 80% full. Blue Zones says it is one of the secrets to a long life! : - ))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a thought on electronics in the home. We buildt a new house nine years ago. It has such a fancy heating/cooling system. Fine when all runs smoothly, but repairs are astronomic, services aswell, and it is virtually impossible to save electricity. This is because the blasted system uses accordibg to outside temperature, regardless. Oh how I long for a simple house without it!! Wish you a lovely week, blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete