This is Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S.. Please try to remember that it is not a holiday for celebrating a long weekend, cookouts and parties, or the race. It is a day to observe and remember all the hero's that have paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep us free. We can not offer enough thanks to them or their families. This old country may have some problems - but we have had so many men and women who have fought to keep us free. To them I say THANK YOU!
It got hot as well. We got close to 90 on Friday and yesterday. Muggy and humid. I did turn the AC on for about 2 hours each day, just to remove the humidity from the air. The house stays very comfortable. I keep the blinds shut on the appropriate sides of the house as the sun moves.
I have been seeing a cottontail in my neighbors yard several evenings! Oh, how cute.
I do believe that 2 of my climbing rose bushes have gone wild. That may be why there were hardly any flowers last year. There are literally hundreds of buds on them this year - so wild or not - I will enjoy as will the bees.
It has been quiet this week.
- I did a lot of weeding (easy to pull)
- I trimmed the forsythia bushes out back. 4 big ones trimmed up nicely and one cut back to ground (it's in a bad spot). What a hot job that was.
- Got everything mowed in between rains
- Picked many bouquets of peonies and a few roses. I can't say how many peonies I cut. I just love them and their smell. They are about done. I have had them in every room this week.
- I cooked up a pound of sausage into patties for freezer and quick fixes
- I made a nice bowl of bean/corn/veggie salad for many days
- I keep making nectar and refilling hummy feeders. I want it fresh and not nasty. I still haven't seen many at feeders - but have seen a couple flitting around the garden flowers. One was on begonia a couple feet from me, and flew past me and almost hit me! That was exciting!!!
- I went to see my brother/sister in-law this week. Had a nice visit and my gr.gr nephew was there as well. Such a sweet boy! (This is the only time I left the house this week)
- I did a little cleaning and organizing in the garage
This is how Coogy and Lilly spent much of the week. Sitting in front of the door watching the birds eat from the new feeder on the front porch. It was like their own private TV!!!!! The get so excited seeing the birdies.
Easy meals this week:
Cheeseburger and salad
Leftover pizza I pulled from freezer
Hot dogs and chips/salsa
Rueben sandwich (less rye - had none, wasn't buying any - didn't miss it)
Tuna salad with crackers
Sausage/egg sandwich and corn/bean salad
So as you can see, just not real exciting. Life is different and no need to shop much. I have plenty of food here, and I need to use what I have. No need to go out and spend money on things I don't really need. This week I just felt like 'nesting' and staying close to home.
Did you get any deals? How was your frugal week? How are the gardens doing - if planted already?
I pray this finds you all healthy and safe. May the Lord help us have open eyes to all the miracles that surround us and grateful hearts for all the love we receive.
Be safe and healthy in the coming week.
Blessings from my little home to yours.