Thursday, May 30, 2019

Simple Words - So Important

There are so many philosophies on how to live our lives.  I like to  think the simplest ideas are probably the best.  They are for me.
They are not always easy - even though simple - but we all need to strive.  I try to be the best I can be, but I am not perfect by any means.  No one is.  Often we need to just go back to basics.

I think I accomplish most of these.  I definitely have a couple of these that need work!!!!  I just love this list.  It is very basic - very true - and can be life altering.  It is good living.

Following are just a few bits if wisdom from the Amish.   Old Amish Proverbs.
  • Pray for a good harvest, yet continue to hoe.  God gives us miracles for sure, but we need to contribute to our future as well - don't you agree?
  • A memory is a treasure that survives.   Amen to this.  I am so very thankful for memories.
  • If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!   Yep, sometimes it happens!
  • You can tell when you're on the right track.  It is usually uphill.  I so agree.  Doing right and success is moving upward and onward - baby steps.
  • A word to the wise is unnecessary.    Truth!
  • The right to do something, doesn't always make it the right thing to do.   Oh how I wish people knew this.  I know people who think they can say anything (it is their right), no matter how it will make another feel.  Sometimes less is more!
  • You can be a good person with a kind heart and still say no.   Most of us need to remember this.  Sometimes our sanity and well being depend on saying NO to people who tend to rob us of happiness and joy.  I am learning this lesson.
  • We pass on our convictions to our children, by the things we tolerate.  So true.  Whether it be morals, politics, religion, values, etc. IF you allow it and do not register your feelings - your children will think it is ok.  They see everything you do and learn from it.
  • He is the happiest, be he peasant or King, who feels peace at home.  We see this everyday in the news.  Look at the worlds richest and most famous - I guarantee you we have more peace and happiness in our homes - BECAUSE of the lack of fame and wealth.

Lately, simple words have meant the most to me.  Life really is simple if we allow it to be.  We don't need fancy, we don't need wealth, we don't need excess.  We NEED health, happiness, family & friends and we need just ENOUGH.

LIVE BY SIMPLE WAYS AND BE HAPPY


17 comments:

  1. I love the you can be a ind person and still say no, something I am still working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am learning. I just can't let others deplete what joy I do have in life. No - not I can't - I WON'T!

      I have several that need work

      Delete
  2. Got a chuckle out of some of these. A good creed to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of wise words. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff! I didn't really read/absorb/get the Proverbs until I was older. Sheesh! There's some serious wisdom in them. My first thought was that parents should be reading them to children at a young age! I read a chapter every day. I got the idea from Dave Ramsey. There are 31 chapters...and that's about one per day! I'm one that needs the daily dose lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I didn't either. I like that - a chapter a day. I do believe that will be a June goal. Thank you.
      I think we all need daily doses or reminders on being better people. It sure can't hurt!

      Delete
  5. Cheryl both the beautiful quote picture and the Amish proverbs are so perfect. Thank you for sharing. I do a lot of these things. My DH said I really need the "You can be a good person with a kind heart and still say no." Like you I struggle with that too.

    A dear friend just said to me this week- Forgive a person for your sanity. Don't let them treat you like that again. That's my top adage for the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I think they are lovely as well.
      Saying no and not feeling guilty and forgiveness are both work in progresses for me. Forgiving is essential for us to let go and be calm and happy. It is also very hard to do. I know that is a huge struggle for me.

      May we all work on ourselves together!

      Delete
  6. Such good advice there, Cheryl. I'm a work in progress. Seems like I learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I think that is part of life's journey - learn something new each day. It is a good way to live.

      Delete
  7. What great lists! I printed them out and hung them up on the fridge to be reminded of the things that I need to work on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for letting me know they meant that much. We are all works in progress! I know I am.

      Delete
  8. Very good words to remember.
    Hope you are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. Yes, doing OK. Thank you so much for thinking of me.

      Delete