Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Jazz It Up - Have Fun

Today is more of using what you have, saving money and just jazzing things up or changing them up and still enjoying your food.
We all like to save a buck.  We don't want to be out shopping a lot right now.  We all love to eat.  So let's have fun and use what we have.  GET CREATIVE - there are no rules.

Nuts can be expensive.  I love pecans and walnuts in baking - but we all know they get real pricey real fast.  Sooooo why not use something a little cheaper?  Peanuts.  I realize that peanuts are not for everyone and that they are not a tree nut - they are really a legume.  But if you can eat them without any problems - substitute them in your recipes!
Anything chocolate would be fantastic with peanuts added.  Peanuts ae great in homemade granola.  They are good on top of oats or cereal.  What a taste sensation on ice cream (especially with chocolate drizzle).
I like to use sunflower seeds as well in some recipes.  Just open your mind and give some other items a try.  Both of these items will save money.

Who doesn't love banana pudding?  Ever wonder it has to be banana?  It doesn't.  Use whatever pudding you have on hand.  Play with it  and experiment.
Why even vanilla wafers?  They can be a little pricey around here - especially if you look to buy a brand name.  I found some 'bite size' ones at Dollar Tree - a $1 a box.  OK, that's fun.

No vanilla wafers?  No problem - use graham crackers, any type of cookie, chunky granola.  You can use any fruit as well - different pie fillings would be wonderful.
My head goes to cheesecake flavored pudding, with graham crackers and cherry pie filling!  EEK - that sounds heavenly.  You see where I am going.  Just use what you have and you can come up with a masterpiece!  It may be the best thing you have ever made and it will save $$ as well.

I love lasagna and pizza both.  I also like to play with both.  You can make your lasagna a Mexican lasagna or a pizza lasagna for a change up.
Mexican lasagna - flavor your meat with taco seasoning, add refried beans or black beans or chili beans - maybe corn (drained).  Salsa instead of marinara sauce - still use your noodles as usual, but try some different ingredients.  Use cheddar or Colby cheese instead of parmesan.
Noodles - can be any pasta.  No lasagna noodles - add macaroni or spaghetti to your layers (cooked) - seriously pasta is pasta.
Pizza lasagna - use pizza sauce (marinara is fine), maybe sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives..... whatever you put on pizza.  Use whatever cheese you put on pizza.
Mix it up a bit.

Pizza - well, what can I say?  You can use whatever you have on top of a pizza.  It can be anything from plain old cheese to super duper fancy.  Leftovers are always great to add to the toppings.  Heck, I have even added leftover mac and cheese and let me tell you it was wonderful.
I make Mexican pizza often when I have leftover taco meat - I may add jalapenos too. I have even added refried beans to pizza.
I mean - come on - there is no such think as bad lasagna or pizza!!!!!!

Cornbread is another fun item to experiment with.  I sometimes add a small amount of finely chopped jalapenos to my mix and/or shredded cheese.  It makes for some very yummy cornbread.

Just throwing ideas out there, so no one ever thinks that they can't eat yummy - even if the pantry is getting low.  THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX  and don't be afraid to experiment.

We all take things way to serious any more - life is supposed to be fun and full of surprises.  Enjoy it.  Experiment, play, smile, eat, love, share and pray - it will surely make life better!

For those having trouble finding the video I mentioned yesterday, I am sorry.  I  have copied a picture of the video promo - maybe it will help you find it.
I tried to link the video and couldn't seem to get the hang of it.
Darn it - I hope you can find it.

Have a wonderful day all. 
Be patient and kind to all you meet - the world needs it.


22 comments:

  1. There are three things I always say almost anything goes with - pizza like you mentioned and also soups and quiches. They are all fantastic to get creative with and a great way to use up small amounts of leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Those are the 3 things that you can use any and every leftover with and in/on. There are no rules and I love that.
      Great reminder!

      Delete
  2. Oh that cheesecake pudding with Graham crackers and cherry filling sounds so good. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? That entered my head yesterday and it just sounds decadent. Cheap and easy cheesecake taste anytime!!!

      Delete
  3. Great tips! So many frugal recipes can be made by experimenting and using what you have on hand. The video may be harder to find for some because "The Bealles" recently had a name change. Their channel was previously called "The Fundamental Home". Here is the link to the video you were trying to post, just copy and paste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9nWE_2noK0

    Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Thank you so much Cheryl for all that you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I didn't realize that their name had changed recently. Appreciate the help.
      Thank you so much - my pleasure.

      Delete
  4. Good ideas, I am going to look up that site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does have some good videos on saving money. Enjoy
      Thank you.

      Delete
  5. A favorite use of leftover chicken -- BBQ Chicken pizza with your favorite BBQ sauce as the base, topped with chopped or shredded leftover chicken, some sliced red onion, and cheddar or cheddar-jack. Also Hawaiian pizza -- spread a drizzle of olive oil on the base in lieu of sauce, add some parm and a very light sprinkle of garlic powder, top with ham and pineapple bits, add some onion if you like, and top with a mild white cheese (I usually end up using a blend of mozzarella, parm, and white cheddar). Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken pizza sounds wonderful. I have added leftover chicken before.
      I am good on Hawaiian except pineapple - Yep, I am one of those! LOL
      I just love pizza.

      Delete
  6. I never make tuna salad the same way twice. This week, due to an abundance of grape tomatoes (that are actually more the size of large cherry tomatoes), I used chopped up tomatoes and scallions with the tuna and ranch dressing as a binder. Yummy!
    Scrambled eggs are another "anything goes" food. I've used various cheeses, sausage, salsa, leftover ham, torn up lunch meat, bologna, peppers, chopped tomatoes and leftover fried potatoes. When the kids were little and we went camping, on the last morning we would clean out the cooler and throw everything in with the eggs. Even the kids liked it!
    Vanilla wafers bring back memories. I had terrible morning sickness with my first pregnancy, and they were all I could keep down some days. Second pregnancy, it was nacho chips and salsa - and the boy turned out to be a redhead!
    I must be the only person who can't stand banana pudding, or banana anything except banana bread. Can't even tolerate the smell. And husband eats one every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add frozen peas to my tuna salad - cause Momma always did! Tomatoes would be good too.
      Yes, eggs take everything as well. Love omelettes with everything. Great way to use leftovers.
      I love bananas - I could eat them everyday too. I guess we all have our likes and dislikes. You could use my other ideas and use another type pudding or fruit.

      Delete
  7. To me pizzas can have a variety of bases, Naan bread, pita bread or even a small wrap or tortilla and it's a great way to use up bits & pieces of leftovers.
    My soups are never the same twice - my sister once asked me for my recipe and I couldn't do it as it really is whatever I have at that particular time.
    My sisters both tend to stick to recipes religiously and just aren't comfortable at substituting things - I quite like "winging it" now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am the 'wing it' girl for sure. My dear Glen used to love something I made and would say - you need to make that again - well crud, I will if I remember what I did!
      Soups are a throw together thing for me. I may post recipes - but odds are, I just throw things together.

      Delete
  8. I had some left over roast pork and wanted to make two dinners with it but not quite enough so I added a tin of borlotti beans from my cupboard, different veg from freezer and fridge plus flavourings. Served with rice and it made 3 dinners so one went in the freezer. Not bad for one portion of meat. I like your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds so good. I love mixtures like that to go over rice. I think you did fantastic.
      Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. Food should be fun as well as nutritious! I still say you should give classes on being frugal and creative with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess you could say I kind of do - here! It would be fun to have face to face classes.

      Delete
  10. I could not add video links either. Have not tried, with "new" blogger. Maybe I will understood, finally! ~chuckle~

    Wonderful advice and ideas. Don't think every recipe is "cut in stone"! Experiment! ~smile~

    'Miss BB'🐝🐝
    "Beside a babbling brook" blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had everything switch to new and couldn't do anything - so I switched it back. Never tried a video before.
      Exactly - nothing etched in stone. Have a little fun.

      Delete
  11. I much prefer banana pudding to have graham crackers over vanilla wafers...but I do bet chocolate chip cookies would be wonderful, too.

    I cannot keep in mind what I want to say...had to go back and read to remind myself. Mom used to add whole kernels of corn to cornbread...and that was good. And with our cornbread, the kind without sugar, we would add real cracklins...that was filling by itself. Probably would not be that healthy...but still good every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think choc. chip cookies would be great too,

      I have heard of adding corn and cracklins to corn bread and both sound good. I have made corn pudding - but that is different. Sometimes we have to throw caution to the wind and just go for unhealthy!!!!

      Delete