Hope everyone is well.
This week I started out with decent cooler temperatures. We had rain on Monday and Tuesday - which was needed. Got to have the windows open and the AC off for a good bit. That was nice. It is now heating back up and the humidity is coming back for a while. I am not going to complain - as fall/winter will be here soon. I am not a 'cold' person!
I got the opportunity to see a bit of nature this week that I had never seen before. I was standing outside just looking at flowers and noticed what I thought was a tiny hummingbird at the phlox. I was hoping Fluffy wouldn't see it and go after it - it looked so small.
I walked over, figuring it would fly off and it didn't. It wasn't a hummingbird! I watched it for a long while and came in a researched. It was Common Clear Winged Hummingbird Moth! I never saw such a thing - it was so totally cool.
- I pulled out all the onions planted early in spring. They had gotten nice size and then I planted more onion sets
- Working on more yard clean-up. Dead headed a ton of Coreopsis flowers and cut back a lot of stuff in the perennial bed. So much to do whenever it is cool outside!
- Picking lots of tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes have gone wild!!!!
This is a serving dish and I picked these on Monday. I did this amount or more 2 more times this week!!
- Cleaned out the refrigerator and the frig freezer. I found a very small head of cabbage at the back of frig I had forgot about and a single hotdog size smoked sausage in freezer. Got both out and used them up.
- Finished up gallon of milk this week that was dated best 7/30 - still tasted fresh!
- Both rain barrels are full
- Mowed and trimmed the yard
- Not necessarily a frugal thing - but a calming thing I 'UNFOLLOWED' a couple of people this week on FB (not unfriended). They post dozens of political things everyday - NOT seeing those posts has calmed my world so much!!!! Decluttering my mind! Feel happier for sure!
- Did a HUGE stock-up this week. I added 5 more cases of canned cat food, got 6 pairs of new socks and 6 of undies, a carbonator for Soda Stream, some extra foody gifts for holiday baskets, cheese (always get), bologna, Stevia, bought 3 pork loins (on sale .99/lb.) and I found canning lids!!!! I got 6 packs of lids. Meijer had all kinds of canning supplies - jars and lids and even canners. I think I am DONE with the big stock-ups - for a while!
- I tore apart the living room! Deep cleaned like crazy. I took everything off the wall of shelves and cleaned and dusted. I have boxed up 2 banana boxes of knick-knacks that I will be donating. They just collect dust and they no longer bring me joy! Nothing sentimental - just things I have gotten at sales/thrift over the years. I moved furniture, cleaned register vents, moved the TV armoire and cleaned under (I think I found fur for a doz. cats!), redid all the shelves and then vacuumed all the floors on main level. More to do - but boy did I wear myself out!
- Just doing all the regular stuff - laundry in cold, line drying, eating from home, using what I have, etc.
Meals this week:
Egg rolls - from freezer
Cabbage, sausage, zucchini stir fry
Mexican chili mac
Leftover chili mac and salad
Cowboy skillet* and a cuke/onion/tomato side salad
Cowboy skillet leftover and grilled cheese
Bologna/tomato/lettuce sandwich - I was tired!
*Cowboy skillet - my invention! Ground beef, onion, back eyed peas, jalapeno zucc., salsa and a bit of rice, taco seasoning = YUMMY!
Just an UPDATE - remember a while back I chopped zucchini and added to my big jar of jalapenos? Well it worked. Dang they got hot. I can use the zucchini bits in anything I want a bit of spice added to.
I managed to keep busy this week and I really feel refreshed. Hiding some of FB and accomplishing a good deep clean - really worked wonders for me. Working outside in the mornings as weather allows is also invigorating. My home is well stocked and I should be good to go for a long, long while.
I will be concentrating on more yard work, cleaning and canning this week! I suddenly feel like I have a huge burst energy and I am taking advantage of it!
How was your week? Did you add to stockpile? How are the gardens doing? Any canning/freezing/dehydrating? Let us know what is going on your world.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Let us all work on being a better human being, a better friend, a better citizen and a better family member. The world needs to see our best NOW and always. Every little positive we put into the world is pure energy and a blessing.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.