Happy OCTOBER! My goodness, time flies. It sure feels like October here this week. Breezy, cool, cloudy - refreshing!!!
Today I am just going to throw out an idea or two or three that I use. Maybe they might help someone else out - some may be old ideas - some may be new.
- If you have a rain barrel - of course it needs to be emptied before freezing weather - but don't just dump it. Fill some old jugs or bottles with it. It is great for your houseplants, it can be useful reserve water for flushing, etc. that is free. My favorite hint - is I keep several gallons to use during the winter months on my hair. I rinse my hair with it and it makes my hair so soft. Make sure you keep your rain water!
- Conditioner that you don't like or don't use - use it for shaving your legs and under arms. It helps the razor glide easily and it also softens the skin. Don't waste it! SOAP can also be used for shaving - cheap and easy. Foam it up and shave! For MEN - Glen had a beard and once a month or so he would put conditioner in and leave it for an hour or two and then rinse out. It made his skin under the beard soft and not flakey.
- I use my ice cream scoop when measuring out batter for muffin tins. Perfect amount. It also works when making BIG drop cookies. I use it a lot it for super big sugar cookies at the holidays. I also use the ice cream scoop when scooping watermelon. Makes a bigger ball than a little melon baller.
- Now that it is pumpkin and winter squash season - don't forget to save the seeds! Wash well, salt and roast for a free and yummy snack. IF you don't like them for a treat - clean and put them out for the birds and squirrels. NOTE: Check your ads - Our Kroger has pie pumpkins on sale this week 10/$10. My goodness you can't buy canned pumpkin that cheap - and this is pure and healthy pumpkin. Look for deals and make your own puree.
- It is baking season again. If you need to measure honey or molasses or anything very sticky - first measure oil in your cup. It prevents the sticking - honey rolls right out. If you don't need to measure oil - spray cup with Pam to prevent sticking
- Leaves will be falling upon us very soon. Rake those babies and place them on the garden. You can till this fall or leave till spring. Snow will help break down leaves. Great mulch and additive to garden for free (don't use walnut leaves where you might plant tomatoes)
- If you get bananas and they get too brown for your eating pleasure - make sure you freeze them. I just keep a bag going with bananas in peels. I pull out what I need for bread or muffins and they thaw in no time. Cut off the tip and squeeze out banana goo! Super easy and no mess
- Apple season is here. That means homemade applesauce and apple butter - pies and cobblers - caramel apples, baked apples, fried apples - YUM. I have always kept peels to make apple peel jelly - no waste. I have been reading a lot lately about people dehydrating the peels till crisp - then they grind up into a powder and use it as a natural sweetener on oatmeal, cereal and on /in all kinds of things. What a great idea!!!
- ALWAYS keep some bar soap in your house. I like Ivory or any other sort of plain soap. You can not only use it to bathe - but also in a pinch use to wash your hair, your dishes, and your clothes. Many uses and it sure may come in handy some day. A cheap and easy alternative.
Just a few tips. Hope you find something you can use. Do you have a great fall tip that can help us out? Let us all know.
Have a great day!!