Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Gifts From the Home and Heart - Part 1

 Promised I would do a post or two about homemade and loved gifts.  You can be as complicated and spendy as you want OR you can do easy and simple.

It seems that the gifts I give that are the most loved (with my family) contains food!!!!!!  I know not all people are so accepting of food gifts.  I am thrilled that my family enjoys these things.  Now, not all of the food is homemade.
I listen to what people say all year.  What are some of their favorite things, what are things they won't buy themselves, what are their favorite treats.

We have a couple types of cookies that Mom used to make.  Spritz and Springerle.  I have taken over on the task of making them for those that love them.  It only happens at Christmas, which makes them extra special.  Fudge - not everyone enjoys making it - I find it kind of fun.
                                                                         Springerle
                                          Fudge, banana bread and Mom's recipe - pecan pie
There is also homemade salsa, homemade grape jelly, and just about anything I can.  It is always a hit.

I have done things differently in different years.  I have made up themed foodie baskets.  Homemade pizza sauce, canister of Parmesan cheese, dough mix, pepperoni, etc.  A basket or strainer with pasta, homemade pasta sauce, cheese, and a spaghetti 'spoon'.  Salsa, chips and cheese dip.
I listen.  Sis and brother get a bag of all kinds of goodies.  They love easy soup mixes, sis loves canned asparagus (seldom buys), she loves jarred chipped beef (won't spend the money), they both love Spam (flavored) - yep, all those things get added to the salsa, jelly, cookies, etc.

I also buy gift cards for groceries for some of the younger ones having a hard time.  Grocery or gas cards can be quite helpful in these days of higher prices.  You can get Target, WM, Meijer, even Kroger (they have super stores) - that sell everything from soup to clothes.  They can get what they need.
Rural King, Menards, etc. are also fun - they sell all kinds of things.  Clothes, food, pet products, critter feed, home maintenance, you name it.
It is all about knowing your person and what they may need.

Teens can be tough.  Most of mine LOVE money and gift cards.  They like gift cards for fast food places - they can use these when out having fun with friends.  A quick bite after getting off work or out of school.  I also do gas cards.
Now I have teens that still like 'presents' too.  Again, I listen and get what they like.  It is quite a hodge podge of things.  One LOVES dill pickles of all sorts - always gets a couple jars in their bag.  One loves Cheese-Its - there are always a couple boxes included.  They like Slim Jims, sour candies and jerky.  Fuzzy socks makes one squeal every year, and fleece jammy pants.

I like getting some cheaper plates (decorative) at the thrift store or at yard sales.  I fill those with cookies and candies.  I put a little note on the bottom - that the plate should be kept or re-gifted to another - spread the love.  Nicer than paper plates.

Last year I got a great niece and her family a funnel cake kit and the mix - later on her son (7) said that was one of the neatest gifts they got.  They made them together had a ball - and he loved them!  How fun is that to hear from a little one?  This year - 'part' of family gift is an Ugly Sweater cookie kit!  Cost 4.99 at Aldi.  It is just neat to get things that the littles can help make and the family can all enjoy.
A couple cookbooks for baskets of nieces (2.99 at Ollie) specific to each gal, nephew LOVES pistachios (these were on clearance!), sis's asparagus, ugly sweater cookie kit, filled hard candy that brother and SIL like (old fashioned).  Just a few of the things I am accumulating for gift baskets.

I also made my own version of 'puppy chow' or 'reindeer feed' (whatever you call it) last year.  Teen guys got a big bag of it and a gas card.  They all loved the goodies and said they were hiding it, so no one else could eat.  It had Chex cereal, M & M's, nuts, dried fruit, little pretzels and whatever else I could find - drizzled with white and brown chocolate - then sprinkled with powdered sugar!  It was a hit!!!!!!
Mainly made with things I had on hand!

When working - tea lovers got a nice teacup (thrifted) and several bags of flavored tea bags and a little bottle of honey - was great for cold days and them taking their breaks.  Others got a mug and hot chocolate mix.

I often make chocolate stirrers.  Plastic spoons - dipped in melted chocolate - let it dry and bundle several in baggie.  Great for stirring coffee or hot chocolate.  You can also partially dip smaller peppermint sticks - they are fun to use as well. These were fun at the office as well.  Each year was something different.

LISTEN and pay attention to peoples likes.  Sure, you can do food items that are more expensive.  I have received those boxed steaks before (wonderful), you can buy a ham or turkey for someone.  Last year I received several pounds of home ground sausage !  Oh YUM!
We all have to eat!!!!!!!!

Do you have any foodie ideas that are hits?  
I tell you, I know it isn't for everyone (some people are just not grateful) - but give me food, and I am one happy camper!!!!!!!!
Share your food and goodie ideas.


TOMORROW - non-food homemade and from the heart!!!!!

39 comments:

  1. The best gift is one that is unexpected, that the giver had listened to your desires and found just what you wanted. You have a knack for gift giving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to listen to us all year - and I find myself doing the same thing. Makes it kind of fun when they say "how did you know?".

      Delete
  2. •Make a fruit basket.
    •Melt wax from “used up” candles that don’t light anymore and make a “new” candle in a thrifted teacup.
    •(put burned down jar candle in freezer for a bit and when you take it out, wax will come out cleanly, no problem)
    •make mixes….hot chocolate, mulled cider, cookies, soups
    •mix up some homemade cleaners in spray bottles
    •if you use essential oils, mix up some in roller bottles for scent, relaxing, sleep, pain, etc.
    •if you are into herbs, make up some loose tea or bagged tea to gift. If loose tea, include a loose tea straw or tea ball, if you bag it, a tea bag rest. Sachets for drawers or pillows.
    •there are super easy dog treats you can make. Cat treat recipes are out there too! I have NEVER had a dog turn down a homemade treat, and as a veterinarian I had plenty of taste-testers!!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. There is truly no end to the ideas for a great and loving homemade gift. A little imagination is all it takes. Holidays can be fun, giving, and thrifty!!!!
      I do lots of mixes for the baskets I make. Soups, cookies, brownies, and rice mixes mainly.
      Love including the pets!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I have friends I bake for each year. He enjoys shortbread and she likes Dundee cake. I make up a tin and they bring it back empty or as J calls it - defective.
    My brother's family usually comes by one afternoon and I always make sure there is homemade baking to share, and a plate to send home. I love the idea of picking up a holiday plate at the thrift store that they can keep or pass on.
    Grocery cards are the gift for the young adults (niece and nephew).
    I have a small family, just my kids, my grandson and I, so I tend to splurge a bit more on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please can I be your friend? I don't have a particularly sweet tooth, I much prefer savoury foods but Dundee cake is the only kind of cake I would really rave about and shortbread? Oh my! You have very lucky friends.

      Delete
    2. It is always so nice to have baked goods that they really like. I try to keep some cookies and candies around just in case someone comes by. I often make up little bags and then I can send them home with some. It 'appears' I was ready for them to come by!!!!! Love that you get to splurge on your family. I am sure they love it too!

      Delete
    3. Have to ask - what is Dundee cake? Never heard of it. Must be good!!!!!!!

      Delete
    4. A rich, dark fruit cake topped with almonds.

      Delete
  4. Yum! It all makes me look lazy as I don't bake much for the holidays.
    The gift cards to the grocery store would probably be appreciated. Thanks for that idea. Tried to post yesterday and blogger said, failed to publish. Try again later.
    I tried again later, same message. I guess blogger was cranky yesterday.
    Ellie
    Central Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie - I think you are right - blogger does get cranky. It is aggravating at times.
      Grocery gift cards is something anyone can use. I like to think it allows someone to get themselves a splurge that they may never get otherwise!

      Delete
    2. I'd be happy to bake for you, Ellie. ;-)

      Delete
  5. To me, one of the best gifts to the young men and women would be an afternoon in your kitchen. Teach them how to cook the basic foods. Make biscuits, make bread, show them how to make good, basic gravy and sauces that make food special at home.

    It is becoming a lost art! Wonderful, home cooked meals are becoming forgotten because young people are not been taught how to cook. They need to learn the basic things, keep a well stocked pantry and freezer with everything needed to make a good well balanced meal. If they learn early, they can keep the house full of great food, at rock bottom prices.

    That extra money can be saved for the down payment on a home, to pay cash for the next car, to be set aside when they start a family, to start a college fund for their kids, I count that as my biggest accomplishment, sending my son to a great college and no student loans. All of his friends started adult life with being in debt with student loans,

    You are the greatest gift!! Teach them, show them, make sure they have a good sucessfull life through planning and saving!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!! Yes time spent - doing whatever - is a gift that will never be forgotten. Someday these young people will look back and think about 'the good old days'. We do!
      I love the idea of spending time teaching them to cook, and doing all the basics. It will be something that will change a life forever.
      Thanks - just love this.

      Delete
  6. LOVE your ideas, Cheryl. I always do sweet treat gift bags for delivery drivers and the postal worker(s) at the holidays and tuck in a $5 or $10 bill, depending on that year's budget. All treats are homemade goodies. Often cookies. When Hubs was still working, I did up jarred nut assortments and other assorted treats for his co-workers each year.

    My in-laws love homemade gifts. Hub's grandma always made homemade fudge and divinity for all her kids, grands and great-grands. My own family? Nope. Most of the friends I've had over the years love gifts of food! Hits have been homemade artisan breads, crock pot cranberry-orange sauce, nut mixes, snack mixes, and baked sweets like pumpkin bread, banana bread, cookies and such.

    Crock pot cranberry-orange sauce is simple. Use 2 bags of cranberries (I do a quick pulse in a food processor, but you don't have to), 1 medium jar of orange marmalade, and 1 thawed container of frozen orange juice concentrate. Put all of that in your crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Can the sauce traditionally in jars, or spoon it into clean, plastic containers for the fridge or freezer. It makes quite a lot. No added sugar needed.

    There are many recipes for nut mixes on the internet. My favorite uses 1 lb. each of various raw nuts, 1 stick of melted butter, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4-1/3 brown sugar (or Splenda brown sugar blend). Toss it all together until the nuts are coated well, spread on lined cookie sheets, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so. Cool and put into jars.

    If you bake yeast breads, add dried blueberries before the last rise and sprinkle with a little granola before baking. Yeast-free breads are good, too. Try using hard apple cider instead of beer for a fabulous cider bread. Just plain yeast bread is also (usually) appreciated, and I know many of you make jams and jelly during the year. What a great, paired gift that would be.

    Can't wait to see other ideas! At the risk of sounding dumb, what is a Dundee cake? --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Didn't mean to write a novel, but wanted to include the "how-to" info.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm the chief novel writer around here lol!!!

      I'm loving the sound of your cranberry sauce. How big a jar of marmalade? Do you think it would work for pancakes? Cranberries are on sale at Aldi for 99¢ lb. BTW! I'm getting a couple of extras just to try this!

      I make fudge and caramel corn for gifts. Probably since college. My family loved all things homemade. It's just my brother and I left. My in laws don't. My brother is homeless in CA right now so I don't know if I can send him his fudge and gifts. Sad situation. My friend was talking about her mom always making Chex Mix and it sounded so good! Chex was on sale for $2.49 box last week so I got my supplies! I also think I'm going to attempt my first cheese ball!

      I love receiving food gifts. Especially when they're something we wouldn't buy ourselves. My aunt would send dried apricots half dipped in dark chocolate and then diced pistachios. Delicious! Another friend sent Oreo pops. Double stuff Oreo with a popsicle stick dipped in white chocolate and covered in jimmies. My husband went bananas for them. I also love sugared nuts.

      Now I'm getting hungry!!

      Delete
    3. The standard 18 oz. size jar of marmalade is what I use, Debby, and it means no added pectin or sugar are necessary. It makes a really GOOD cranberry sauce that (yes) if re-heated can be spooned over pancakes or waffles with a spritz of whipped cream. ;-)

      I forgot all about cheese balls! Thanks! And Hubs is the best chocolate dipper ever. He likes to dip pretzel sticks--the thick ones--and roll them in sprinkles, but has also done dried apricots, fresh strawberries (when in season), cookies and more. --Elise [Chex Mix Addict]

      Delete
    4. Elis - all those ideas sound so good. The cranberry sauce sounds great and I am not a cranberry fan. Cheese balls- yes. That is always a holiday thing. I am a huge fan of sugared nuts. They are so easy and fun to make and they are so stinking good. Chocolate pretzels - Mmmmmm. My goodness, you gals make some great stuff. Love the recipes.

      Delete
    5. Debby - I am salivating. Oh my gosh all the things you mentioned sound good. So many tasty and yet easy ideas. Dipped fruit, caramel corn, good golly. Love Chex mix - can't stop eating when I start.
      You guys are really giving me some great ideas for new things this year.

      Delete
  7. I regularly gift loaves of homemade quick breads. I traditionally make my grandmother's raisin nut bread, a long-gone family friend's recipe for zucchini nut bread, and also cranberry orange or banana bread (great grandmother's recipe). I bake them in mini loaves and gift one of each. Also, when I make jam in the summer, I'll always make some 4 oz. jars and may gift a "stack" of assorted ones. I also do some 4 oz. jars of savory spreads and jams for mixing with cream cheese and serving with crackers, and will include some in a gift basket with gourmet-type crackers and a couple of spreaders. I've often heard that it was a favorite gift and one from the heart, knowing that it was hand made especially for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that idea, Lori, and can see why they're a hit! --Elise

      Delete
    2. More fantastic ideas. You gals are all creative. The mini loaves of bread are easy to make ahead. Love the idea of all the jams and crackers. What a nice basket to receive. Your family and friends are very lucky. Gosh, I want to be on everyone's 'nice' list!!!!!!
      Maybe it is a good thing we don't all live close to each other - we would all gain weight for sure!!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. These are great ideas. I don't have many people to get gifts for but they and I are all at that stage of life where we don't need any more "stuff". Something like a basket or bag of favorite foods or a gift card is perfect. I'm also filling stockings for my parents. I did this last year and I think this was my mother's favorite gift. I filled them with small gifts like candies, cookies, snacks, puzzle books and in my mother's case small sizes of beauty items that she likes but doesn't necessarily want to buy for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES - as we get older we really need no stuff. We all eat and drink - so great gifts. Oh what a fun gift for your parents to get. It doesn't take big things to make us smile. I love the stocking idea!!!!!

      Delete
  9. I love homemade goodies but will only be cooking at Sissies. I will take care of Hub's mom when we are down there for Thanksgiving. I will fill her stocking and send it out to my sister in law ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe you can all pick a new place and enjoy some delicacies and a special meal together. Maybe even a dessert day out. That would be fun for all.

      Delete
  10. The boys love my gifts that I make them. The quilts and knitted blankets are always a hit. I am hoping that the draught dodgers, Christmas ornaments and woven coasters are a big hit this year as well.

    I bake extra at Christmas just so I can send treats home with them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like such nice gifts. I need to make a couple draft dodgers this year for me! Your gifts sound lovely.

      Delete
  11. My favorite - homemade food gifts! I have a group of friends that exchange food items at Christmas - nalesniki (Polish crepes), sugar cookies, caramel popcorn for my antipasto, sugar cookie Christmas tree. I've also gifted a jarred coffee topping, homemade vanilla, coffee liqueur, peanut brittle; special cookies like limoncello cookies, eatmore bars, cornmeal orange/cranberry cookies, oatmeal cookies with white chocolate chips & cranberries. This year I'm planning to gift caramel popcorn twists to the health care workers who care for my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great group of friends you have!!!!!! My mouth is watering. It all sounds so yummy!

      Delete
  12. Love Dundee cake ☺ yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I know what it is. My sis told me the other day how she loves it, only she called it by a different name.

      Delete
  13. Homemade beef jerky is always a hit here. I love food gifts and enjoy receiving them too. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUM! I used to make jerky for Glen - he loved jerky of all types. I like it too, haven't made any in ages.
      I love food gifts as well.

      Delete
  14. (Little Penpen) these ideas all sound so great. One year I baked homemade cinnamon rolls for several families. They were cheap and easy and everyone seemed to like them. My friend, who died in Sept, was the baker. She kept us all supplied with goodies, year round. I’ll miss her and those treats this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Food is always a great gift. I gave our young neighbor a pie, cinnamon rolls and several loaves of bread this past year and he gave us a discount on the chickens he raised and butchered.
    We have a farmground landlady who is in her 80s. We gifted her a loaf of bread and home-canned jars of peaches, peach jam, canned meats, relish and pickled beets. She was so tickled.
    For our Christmas the boys gave us gift cards as we love to go out to eat on Friday nights.
    The local son and family got treats in their stockings. DS likes hot sauce and "weird" things. Pickled asparagus was that this year. Ddil asked for specific candy and tea. The grandkids got animal crackers and candy.
    In past years, I had given my co-workers a pie for their birthday. And Chex Mix in recycled tins for Christmas.
    Consumable gifts are great and there is nothing to store later.

    ReplyDelete