Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Adding a Little Spice to Life!

 I am one of those people that like things (food) clean and simple during the summer.  I like a bit more heartiness come fall and winter.  I like a lot of different flavors and blends.  I can do a little heated spice - but not a lot.  I just feel like the flavors of fall/winter are comfort - a big hug to the palate and belly!!!

Sure, it easy to go out and buy a jar of this or that type of seasoning - but read the jars some day!!!!  Yikes the stuff they add to them is crazy.
Most often there is added sugar, lots of salt, MSG, sometimes soy and anti-caking agents that you can't even pronounce, just a lot of gunk!
That is why I like making my own blends - often with fresh (dried) herbs or dehydrated ingredients that I have grown or purchased fresh.  Others, sure depending on what it is used for - will have sugar or salt in them - but I can regulate it.

One can buy spices and herbs at dollar stores too, very cheaply - but do you really know if that basil is just basil or if that dehydrated celery is just celery?  Not really!  Could be other things we are not aware of including weeds from fields and such.
I am guilty of buying big containers of dehydrated onions - since I don't want to deal with that here at home.  Most other things I grow or buy fresh.
Now there are also pepper seasoning like cayenne pepper, paprika, etc. that is just easier purchased - just beware of what you are buying and read the labels.

Here are a couple of fun recipes to help out!

Make you own VEGGIE BOUILLON
1 C nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. thyme
1Tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. turmeric
Mix it all together - and store in an airtight jar
USE - 1 Tbsp. - to a cup of water (more or less according to taste)

LEMON PEPPER
2 Tbsp. dried lemon zest
3 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sugar

SEASONED SALT
8 Tbsp. salt
3 Tbsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. paprika
Mix together and store in a sealed container.  Shake and use like any other seasoning salt - to taste

TACO SEASONING
6 tsp. chili powder
4 1/2 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. onion powder
5 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
Use to your taste

MEXICAN CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING
(this is fun and wintery to me)
1 C sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cocoa
Combine and mix thoroughly.  Store in airtight container.
Great for topping puddings, custard, oatmeal, topping sugar cookies - etc.

SWEET SPICE BLEND
1 Tbsp. orange peel powder
1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp. ground cloves
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
Mix thoroughly and store in airtight container.
Great to blend into ice cream, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal or add 2 or 3 Tbsp. to cake mix or quick breads.
I am even thinking a tiny bit in brewed hot tea or cocoa.


Use old spice jars, baby food jars or 1/2 pint jelly jars to store different spice blends.  Make sure to mark with a label or on the lid!


OFF THE WALL BUTTER
A great alternative not many know about!!!
3/4 C powdered milk
1/3 C water
1/4 C oil (olive, coconut, etc.)
A pinch or two of salt
Place the powdered milk in a food processor - then add the other ingredients.
Blend until you start to see it thickening!  Check it every couple of minutes.
NO, it will not be hard butter like consistency - but more like a spreadable blend (more like mayo).
Makes about 3/4 cup
Lasts about a week in frig.  Use on toast, pancakes, veggies, etc.  DON'T use in baking!
Great thing to know in case you run out!!!!!


Not only would these all be great to use in your kitchen - they would also make great gifts for the person who loves to cook.  Maybe a season mix, an apron, some spatulas, etc.  Cute and useful gift.

Hope you all add a little spice to your life!!!!!
Until tomorrow!  Have a wonderful day!

33 comments:

  1. Great recipes! Thanks! I want to try the Mexican Cinnamon Sugar blend on toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I love making my own blends! I make a similar veggie bouillon but sometimes I leave out the nutritional yeast.

    I agree that buying quality spices is safer.

    Years ago a popular snack was implicated in cases of illnesses affecting especially children. I don't remember what it was but it caused severe diarrhea. Turns out the snack had an ingredient not listed on the label because the amount apparently was under the amount that had to be reported. The ingredient in question was sourced from China. Since that time I read the labels for country of origin. If it doesn't say then I don't buy. I've found a lot of cheaper spices don't say so I don't buy those.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, there's a story currently trending online about a teen boy that died after eating some snack that's super spicy. I don't know the details, but I suspect he had an allergy to something in it. It's good to know what you're eating! I understand your care with labels. I do the same, including for my doggy.

      Delete
    2. I saw that story too. I figured it might have caused an asthma attack or something - haven't read it yet. Such a shame - as it was one of those stupid challenges kids do now as well.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recipes! I'm working on doing more of this, since I hate, absolutely hate, having items I can't even pronounce in my food. And, I agree with Margaret (above) re: country of origin. I'm especially attentive to that for my pup's treats. There reportedly have been issues with some of those produced in China, Malaysia, and Viet Nam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make as much as possible too. Yep, I always have read if grandma wouldn't know what it is or she couldn't have pronounced it - don't eat it! Sounds like good advice to me.

      Delete
  4. Great post Cheryl. For herbs and spices that I don't grow myself, I use Mountain Rose Herbs. They list exactly where the item is grown and I don't have to worry about quality. I love putting together all of my own spice mixes. Store mixes are filled with items I don't want to eat. I did a post on some spice mixes I make here...https://culinaryadventureswithlori.blogspot.com/2021/07/spice-blends.html
    Happy Wednesday Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to use the area health food store and sometimes the farm markets for things I don't grow. I like mixing up all kinds of blends. Thanks for the link to your post!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I usually buy spices in bulk from my local healthfood store. Don't use many mixes at all, but it's great to have that butter substitute recipe! Thanks so much. :)
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - for things I don't grow myself. Even some at the local farm market. I just like playing with combos! You never know when you may need the substitute!!!!

      Delete
  6. We're getting that awful smoke smell outta Canada today. It was cool this morning so I opened windows, but it may be time to shut them cuz of my asthma. I know how bad fires are firsthand so my sympathies are strong with those in the North. I'll bet air purifiers are hard to find, along with filters. I had another odd thought. When I was in South Cali, I think it was October 1st that we got the Canadian Supersoakers for fire cseason . Those things were awesome lol. I got a good shower in my yard once 😂. I can't imagine Canada is gonna be giving them up any time soon. We always thought it was insane that Cali didn't invest in their own fleet. The helicopter drops were like tinkling on some of those fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the smells. We haven't had it here for a couple weeks now. We had a huge rain front come through last evening (short one) - but it poured a lot of water, quickly.
      I had never heard of the supersoakers - makes sense to have something like that in fire areas.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl, I bet you could find a YouTube snap of one of those beauties in action!! I don't think their official name was 'supersoaker', I think that was the affectionate Angelino nickname for them. I remember both a red and white one- it looked like a regular jet to me. And I remember one that was screaming yellow. They scooped water from Castaic Lake, just north of L.A, and opened some sort of big door underneath. It was a LOT of water. I remember one of my neighbors joking that if they'd scoop some fish, we could have a trout fry. Had to joke some during those stressful events. When I got wet, no fish were included, in case you were wondering lol.

      Delete
  7. Oooooo Thank you Cheryl! I will so value that veggie broth seasoning recipe as well as taco seasoning. I just did a taco seasoning but yours sounds better! It all sounds good and I'm curious to try the butter too! Very neat!

    Thank you so much for sharing Cheryl. Have a great day! I'm making red bean/collard soup for supper from the freezer but will add a little brown rice and onion gravy to it to jazz it up a bit. I've got more brown rice soaking I may saute with ghee and onion before cooking. We sha'll see how I'm feeling.

    Hugs! ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you may like that one! There are so many things to use nutritional yeast in. It is really healthy as well. I really like it. I always keep a couple bottles of it around.
      Your soup sounds really yummy and comforting!

      Delete
  8. P.S. I've spent too much on veggie broth cubes...and I always end up adding nutritional yeast for flavoring to so many things, so this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta have seasoning! Some good ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spice of life!!!!!! Makes everything taste better!

      Delete
  10. I wouldn’t say we like our food too spicy but we do like it flavourful, so these recipes will definitely get a try. The lemon pepper one sounds great, I’m already thinking of ways to use it.
    Years ago I used to make a dried citrus peel ppt pourri type thing that I would leave in a bowl of water on the wood heater and it would make the whole house smell lovely. I must try that again.
    Thanks for reminding Cheryl !!!!!!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - not really spicey - just lots of flavor.
      I love citrus peels or apples with cinnamon in water - for lovely smelling air!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the recipes, Cheryl. I like to make my own blends as much as possible so, just as you said, I know what's in them. Well, the heat is gone, and today they say our high temp will be 72° but it's now 4:18 pm and cloudy with a temp of 67°, so I don't think it'll get that high. I'm so glad it's cooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cool air comes tomorrow and stay the rest of the week. 70's and I look forward to it! ENJOY!
      It is just a good idea to know what is in our foods.

      Delete
  12. That butter substitute is something I will try; will add some salt though as that is what butter tastes like to me.
    Regarding unlisted ingredients in food and Chinese food masking as top name Western brands, I just watched a video today that you may enjoy. Pricey Italian tomato products made from Chinese tomato paste that has an undisclosed 20% additive. Slave labor. I would hate to support this deception. Was also unhappy to learn that Warren Buffet closed 6 regional tomato processing plants that made Heinz products. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx_cPrC-K28
    It is rumbling and raining here; feeling a bit like fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. It is just so amazing how much stuff we get from such illicit and nasty places - they have such bad practices. Don't understand why we can't keep it HOME - except for greed!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. All part of international trade deals started in the 1990s. There was a BIG push then to encourage trade with China globally. Those who live in VA know Smithfield (hams, meats) was bought by China awhile ago. Most meat packing plants in the U.S. are Chinese owned now. Ditto a lot of the food companies here. I'll have to look into spice companies.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the recipes, Cheryl! Most will get a try out in my kitchen. Does anyone know of a homemade Ranch dressing recipe that tastes like bottled Ranch dressing? --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good recipe - I will have to find it though!

      They China stuff is really getting kind of scary - I keep seeing so many stories about how their economy is going down the toilet! What does that do to foreign business and companies? Hopefully it sends them back home - but prices will surely increase.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cheryl. I've tried so many recipes for Ranch dressing that just don't taste quite right.

      In my dreams, of course, there'd be an expansion of what some ranchers in the upper midwest did: during covid they created their own cooperative meat packing plant. Yes, it cost a bit more, but by cutting out the middle man, not as much as one might expect. And buyers know where the meat came from... right down to the ranch. Some fisherman in CA did the same for their catches years ago. You could buy it right on the waterfront. We often did. Not sure how that would work with a country as big as the U.S., but it's sure worth a try! --Elise

      Delete
    3. We need to do something to take back our business. I am all for paying more to get local. Maybe we can start a movement!!!!!!

      Delete
    4. You hit the nail on the head. If you can't grow it or make it, seek out local growers. You can't trust the big guys to do the right thing.

      Delete
    5. Aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete