I have decided to get busy and start using up some of the older jars, so I don't feel so bad about making new. I just can't let things go to waste, and many things get made into jelly easily.
Here is a few non-traditional uses;
- thumb print cookies or molasses cookies (I always put a dab of jelly in center)
- oat bar cookies
- make a flavored vinegrette for salads (they can be expensive to buy)
- I make flavored homemade ice cream with jam (raspberry is a favorite)
- If it doesn't set right - it's called syrup at my house. Jelly can also be melted down for syrup.
- use in making BBQ sauce or chili sauce
- add between the layers of a layer cake for a fun surprise
- add to smoothies
- stir in cottage cheese (the Cottage Doublers are pricey at the store)
- Jelly rolls
- mix with cream cheese to serve with crackers or chips.
- top a cheese cake (melt and cover cheesecake with a thin layer of jelly)
- mix in yogurt (buy cheap plain yogurt and make your own flavors)
- Make little individual pies with leftover pit crust (we loved these as a kid)
- Place a spoonful in the middle of muffins or cupcakes before baking. Fun surprise!
- Sweeten hot tea (yum - flavored tea)
- Dollop some in your hot oatmeal.
- Use as an ingredient in sweet breads (just adjust liquids a bit)
- Give as gifts
- use as a meat glaze - apricot, apple, orange, pear, mint or jalapeno are all good on pork or lamb
- Mix a little in pancake/waffle mix. Makes them flavored.
- And of course on sandwiches, toast, biscuits, etc.
This year I want to make sure nothing goes to waste and I want to get creative.
Let's get creative. Share your ideas!