Sunday, June 19, 2016

Frugal Happenings 6/19

Good morning my friends.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads out there.

We sure have had a mixed bag of weather this week.  Started out with fairly nice temps, then we had torrential downpours mid week, now the heat and humidity are back for a few days.
It's not quite even summer (officially) yet, and we have all felt the heat!  Here's hoping for a mild summer season!!!!!

Other than running to the rehab, much of my week was spent at home.  I only stopped by Kroger once to look at clearance.  I just haven't felt like going much this week.  This has been a blah week for me for some reason.  I guess we all have them.

My week in a nutshell;
  • Line dried laundry.  Oh how I love doing that! (It doesn't take much to excite me)
  • Now have 110 gallons of rain water in my barrels after the big rain
  • Did a bunch of  yard work.  Worked in the flower beds to pull weeds while the ground was wet.  That is a never ending job!
  • Tried a new recipe (I'll post this next week - it was yummy)
  • Dried more mint from the yard
  • Used up the last of the older 'fresh' potatoes in 2 different meals
  • Gave myself a pedi
  • My only grocery buy - was 8 cartons of whole shelf stable milk (Hershey brand) on clearance for .59 each.  Dated march, 2017
  • Made a library run
  • Picked and ate more lettuce
  • Used rain water to water plants when needed
  • All meals and drinks from home.
  • Shopped the pantry for items needed this week - no groceries bought
  • Made a no-bake cheesecake from items I had on hand
CHEESECAKE
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 - 8 oz. Cool Whip (thawed)
1/2 C sugar
Blend all together.
I didn't even make a crust - I simply crushed up some graham crackers and then added the filling over it and spread to even.  Added a can of cherry pie filling on top.  So easy and yummy!  G said "I'm not sure if it was good - I think I need another piece to see".  LOL (he didn't get it!!!!)

Bird planted and squirrel approved sunflower!  It's about waist tall now.  See the leaves on the ground?  That's the state of my back yard till fall.  Our tulip poplar tree starts losing leaves 2nd week of June every year.

I got bee stung this week in the palm of my hand!  I was breaking up some branches that had fallen out of the tree during the storm, and there was a darned old bee IN one of the limbs.  My home made remedies worked for keeping it from hurting and swelling - but a couple days later now, it sure does itch!   That's one of those pesky places you really don't want an itch!!

My garbage disposal officially died this week.  I do believe the bearings went out.  This one has been in since 2011, and has just recently started giving me problems.  The one before that, lasted 20+ years.  Guess things aren't made as well any more.  I am trying to decide if I want to replace it (I do love it!).  For now, I am keeping a small holed strainer in the sink to catch bits and pieces. 
So that saga continues!
**************************************************************

Meals this week;  broiled chicken and dressing, nacho grande casserole (2X), pork chops with homemade cheesy potatoes and salad, tuna patties with mac n cheese and salad, dirty rice with pork and salad, toast and sausage gravy and fried potatoes.

Snacks - strawberries and pineapple mixed, ice cream floats, mixed nuts, cheesecake.
*************************************************************

As you can see, nothing much exciting happening in my neck of the woods.  My big exciting moments have been watching the squirrels play (the young ones are so darned cute) and watching my hummingbirds.  They absolutely amaze me.
What's happening around your home place?

I hope you and yours all have a blessed week.  Wishing peace, health and happiness to all.
Take care my friends!




5 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl, can you tell me what you use all the dried mint for? Tea perhaps? I have so much of it growing and am always looking for more ways to use it.

    I'm so sorry you got stung. I'm allergic to bees and wasps. The wasps have been horrible this year already do I had my handy hubby hang up traps for them. The bees don't seem to bother with me but those wasps are just mean!

    Your cheesecake recipes sounds really good and easy. I have everything on hand that I need to make it. Cool Whip was on sale and I had a coupon, so I picked up 2 cartons on my last shopping trip. :)

    Be blessed and I hope your weather evens out. They are predicting a very hot and dry summer for us and are already preparing for a horrible and destructive fire season again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, yes, I dry the mint to use in tea. I put it in ice tea sometimes when brewing, but especially hot tea in the winter.

    They are predicting hot and dry for here as well - I just hope they are wrong.
    I find it horrible for areas that have those big fires. That's one thing we don't have to worry about - then there are tornados! I guess there is always something.

    I generally have everything on hand for cheesecake. I always try to keep cool-whip on hand. It was so yummy. Not too sweet, and really light and refreshing..

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to hear you use the garbage disposal and wondered, do you compost your kitchen trimmings? I even put the glunk in the sink strainer into our countertop compost bucket and dump it with everything else in the pile outside (ours is a passive compost pile about 5 x 10 feet under the willow tree where nothing else will grow for the roots that come from the willow and sap all the moisture out of the ground)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised to hear you use the garbage disposal and wondered, do you compost your kitchen trimmings? I even put the glunk in the sink strainer into our countertop compost bucket and dump it with everything else in the pile outside (ours is a passive compost pile about 5 x 10 feet under the willow tree where nothing else will grow for the roots that come from the willow and sap all the moisture out of the ground)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly used it for scraps that were left stuck on cat food dishes. Fruit, veg., and egg shells, etc. get composted. So NO I didn't use that much at all. I am getting quite used to not using, thus saving myself $90 and some work!!!!

      Delete