We had another good week here on our little homestead.
We had a lot of rain at the first of week, then it dried out, and I got to mow.
Today the humidity is down some and it's in the 80's. Supposed to have 80's for highs this week and evening in the 60's. Rain off and on this week. Not too bad for August.
The grass has taken off again in growing. I mowed on Thursday and it needs it again already! I went almost 4 weeks without mowing - now..........
The garden is still producing. I only have one zucchini plant left that is producing. The others have all succumbed to something (probably darn bugs). I have dusted, but between bugs and heat, they gave up the fight.
The tomatoes are going crazy!
I have shared many tomatoes with our friend next door. He is a happy camper.
My frugal week:
- Line dried laundry
- Froze more okra
- Canned 10 pints of coleslaw
- Canned 7 pints of pizza sauce
- Canned 7 pints of pasta and 3 - 1/2 pints (for dishes that need a zip) of pasta sauce
- Picked grapes - only one section had ripe ones. After I de-stemmed them, I had 3 pounds. I put into the freezer till I have time to make jelly
- Mowed and worked on flower beds
- Used the scalding canning water along the edge of porch and in fence row to kill grass and weeds
- Dehydrated tomato skins to make powder
- Cut G's and my hair
- Picked approximately 42 pounds of produce this week!!!!!!!! Okra, peppers, grapes, zucchini, cukes, LOTS of tomatoes and another HUGE cabbage WOOHOO!!!!!
- Used all leftovers for dinners or lunches
- Ran to Kroger on Friday - 1/2 gallon milk, loaf of bread, found bulk chopped hazelnuts in clearance, and got 4 packs of Hillshire Farms smoke ham and turkey for 1.99/pkg. (special) - dated October. I also got a pork loin on special for 1.69/lb. and I will be cutting it into chops today. It cost a total of $7.50. (I'll let you know how many chops I get). I only got one - as they will go even cheaper at some point.
MEALS THIS PAST WEEK:
Home fried fish and salad
Stuffed pepper skillet dinner
Mac n cheese with little smokies, tomatoes and cukes
Salmon patties, dirty rice, and tomatoes
Steak burgers topped with provolone and ravioli and tomatoes and cukes
Homemade zesty chicken bowls (like Taco Bell) and salad
I kept busy, but this coming week will be the same or busier. Canning season is here in full measure.
I love being able to put my harvest up for the winter. I love eating it now as well!!!!! There is just nothing like fresh!
This coming week my plan is for canning more tomato products, more coleslaw, and maybe starting some kraut. I am not sure when jelly will be made - it can wait for a while.
I also need to color my hair - I think that is on agenda for today!
Between taking care of the yard/garden and canning I think I will stay out of trouble!!!! LOL
Are you doing any canning yet? How are the gardens doing? Deals and bargains?
I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
May you and yours be blessed beyond measure in the coming week. Prayers for health and happiness.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.