We had a lot of rain over the past week. It was quite warm and humid feeling. This next week is supposed to be in the upper 70's and low 80's. That will be nice. They are calling for a couple days with rain - then sunny and dry.
Yesterday I went out to mow (it was still slightly damp - but warming up fast) and the young man across the street hollered over "well now I have to mow! You always get the ball rolling". I never realized. Within a few hours - 5 others had followed suit! It does look pretty around here though!
The pepper plants and cucumbers are all starting to re-set blossoms and starting to produce again. The other grapes are finally starting to ripen slowly.
The hummingbirds are at the feeders constantly now. They are sure sweet and have been drinking a lot. I sure hope that doesn't mean they are soon to be gone.
My frugal week:
- Have only been going out 1 day a week - sure saves on gas
- Worked on 3 flower beds and mowed this week in between rain
- Our small coffee pot quit (4 cup) and I started using a bigger one. No filters to fit bigger one (till I went out) so I used restaurant napkins as filters (I always keep extras)
- Did more canning this week. - 15 jars salsa, 9 pints coleslaw and 1 - 1/2 pint, 6 - 1/2 pints of seasoned crushed tomatoes. I also did 3 pints of sweet pickled onions slices (used brine I had left from relish)
- Picked 38 more pounds of produce. Picked 3 more zucchini (plants now done), some okra, peppers, cucumbers and lots and lots of tomatoes.
- Used the blanching and canning scalding water to kill grass around the edge of porch
- We were given enough green beans to cook for a dinner and a lunch
- We were given 6 boxes of frozen rice/shrimp (our neighbor/friend)
- I went out one day and got some great meat deals. I wasn't planning on buying meat for the next many months......but!!!! I got another pork loin for 1.49/lb. - I sliced into 22 chops and a small roast (still haven't cut one from last week yet). I got ground beef for 1.59/lb. Bought 10 pounds and re-wrapped for freezer in 1 lb. packages. Got a great deal on bacon!!! 3 lb. packages for 8.99. $3 a pound is super cheap here - always ranges from 4.99 - 7.99 pound. Actually the same bacon in 1 pound packs was 4.99. I got 15 pounds - separated and froze.
- Doing all the basics - making tea, laundry in cold, filtering water, taking care of lots of paperwork, eating from home, etc.
- Made dip
Turkey/cheese sandwiches and chips and dip
Shrimp poppers, fried okra and potatoes
Gravy covered ground beef steaks, mac and cheese and salad
Cheeseburgers and green beans
Tomato & cheese pie (I'll tell you how this week)
Homemade burrito supreme
So there you have it - not real exciting. I pretty much spend my week around here, just taking care of life. There is always something to do, something that needs to be done, and things that just make me moan noooooooo!!!! Such is life.
How was your week? Did you get any great deals? How are the gardens going?
May your week be blessed and happy. Take time to say 'thank You' for your blessings, give a kind word to others, and bless someone with your sunshine! We just never know the difference a small deed can do - be the difference!
Blessings from our humble home to yours.