Here we are at the close of another month (in a few days). We are now LESS than 4 months till Christmas! YIKES. I vividly remember April and that was 4 months ago - it seems like yesterday.
The holidays will be upon us in a flash.
On that note, we have had lovely weather for a few days. Cooler temps and lower humidity. We had some storms and heavy rain yesterday - but all is good. Temps will definitely be warming from today forward in this week. The humidity levels are going very high over the next few days - so it may feel just downright miserable. UGH - summer is not over in the U.S. I love, spring, summer, and fall - but I am not a fan of winter.
It is not the temps that bother me - just the nastiness of the season - snow and ice.
I am not sure if I will be getting many more grapes - they are ripening a few here and a few there. No bunches are getting ripe at the same time. If I pick by bunch - a lot will be green and wasted. Near impossible to pick by grape!!!
The hummingbirds are still very active and visiting all the time. I just love watching and listening to them. Butterflies are every where and so are spiders and their webs! You can't walk outside without running into a web! Surely fall isn't THAT far away.
My frugal week:
- I did finally add some color to my hair (just to cover the old! LOL)
- Cut more herbs - thyme, rosemary and basil to dry
- Cleaned out and dead-headed a bunch of spent flowers out front
- Line dried laundry
- Had 3 days of no A/C - windows open and aired the house
- NO GROCERY RUN this week
- Picked, picked and picked tomatoes. Also picked broccoli, another cabbage, okra, peppers, and a pound of rhubarb. Total this week about 54 pounds! (We are on the down side of tomatoes now & squash is done)
- Canned 4 quarts of kraut, 7 pints of salsa (we use it for so many things), 5 quarts and 2 pints of crushed seasoned tomatoes.
- All the usual stuff. Meals from home, making tea, filtering water, laundry in cold, etc.
pretty salsa - so many uses in our home
Meals this past week:
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli
Open face meatloaf sammies with gravy and salad
Sausage gravy over toast and scrambled eggs
Pork burgers, parmesan pasta and sliced tomatoes
Smoked sausage, fried corn and tomatoes and cucumbers
Homemade ham/cheese, tomato Panini's, salsa and chips
Chicken breast, mac n cheese and sliced tomatoes
All leftovers eaten for lunches
That pretty much sums up my week! Not very exciting.
What was your week like? Did you get any deals? Are you doing any canning?
I have the crock pot going already this morning with a small pork roast and potatoes and carrots.
I am going to go in a straighten and clean the frig (wipe the shelves). Need to do a quick "see" so nothing goes to waste.
Think I will take a break from canning today.
Prayers that you all have a blessed and fruitful week. Health and happiness to you all.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.