Sunday, August 11, 2019

Weekly Wrap-Up 8/11

Good morning.  These weeks seem to just fly by so quickly.
It is a beautiful morning here.  We have had some lovely evenings and mornings this week, nice and cool.  No need for the AC in the early part of the day - and getting to air the house a bit.
We finally did get some rain on Thursday - it was much needed.  More storms coming in tomorrow night.  Heat is back in force later today and tomorrow!

My great niece and her little family (minus one who had football practice) got to come and visit this week.  She was in town to take her son to Riley Hospital for some tests.  I haven't seen her in many years (except on FB).  It was so nice to get to get to catch up IN PERSON.
Her middle child didn't want to leave.  He is about 10 or 11.  He said "this house is so comfortable and cozy - it is a nap kind of house".  I love that!!!    We had such a nice visit and look forward to getting together again.

This past week:
  • Worked on cutting back some of the front flower bed
  • Made the fruity cake bars - it was a big hit! (Made peach)
  • Washing kitchen walls and worked on cleaning some knick-knacks
  • Laundry in cold and line dried
  • Cut my hair
  • Picked a few tomatoes and bell peppers
  • Used water from the rain barrels to water plants
  • I ran to WM Family Market one day to maybe add to cat food stock.  Shelves were almost empty.  NOT shortages - they are remodeling.  The whole place was a mess.  I don't go there often, will be less now.  They have remodeled and now have ONLY 2 regular check-outs and everything else is self serve!!!!!!  Not for me! Pure greed in my opinion - less employees and more profit!  Bought nothing.
  • Mowed the yard
  • I decided to get a new garbage disposal.  Mine has been broken for 2 - 3 years and I didn't replace.  Then it got to where I couldn't even use that sink (wouldn't drain).  I planned to have it taken out and just re-pipe -- but it was easier to replace (not cheaper).  My neighbor helped me install and it only took a few minutes.  He went with me to buy it and mentioned he was a Vet and they gave me a discount.   It is so nice to be able to use both sides of the sink!!!!!  Nice to have good neighbors too!
  • Made more hummingbird nectar
  • All my regular things as well - making tea, eating from home, AC off when possible, etc.

Meals this past week:
Made faux crab salad from meat in the freezer. Served over lettuce
Crab roll ups
Cheese burger, tomatoes and cucumbers
Philly beef and cheese skillet dinner
Cup full of leftovers, beef and bean burrito (from freezer) and sliced tomato
Homemade pizza 2X

Philly beef and cheese skillet.  Cooked ground beef, onion and bell peppers together - drain.  Add a good splash of Italian dressing and one of Worcestershire sauce.  Cook pasta in another pot till almost done.  Add pasta to meat and add cheese.  I used Swiss and Mozzarella .  It sure was tasty!
I just kind of played it by ear - adjust to your taste.


How was your week?  Any good deals or specials?  Garden produce?  Give us a shoutout and let us know what you are up to.

I hope you all have a great week ahead.  Prayers that you are healthy and safe and that you can add to your pantries for pennies or free.
Blessings from my humble home to yours.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great visit from your family! What a sweet comment from your nephew. Hope the health tests are ok.
    Thanks for the reminder about being kind. I have been so grumpy lately. I really need an attitude adjustment.
    I have been enjoying fresh tomatoes from the garden. It seems like they are all ripening at once, so I shall enjoy them while I can. I need to bake some french bread today, as I forgot to buy any at the store. I have been wanting to make panzanella salad and brushetta while I have fresh tomatoes.
    Hope you have a great and safe week. We had straight line winds and tornadoes touch down near us on Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't heard on the tests - praying it is all something easy to take care of.
      Love tomatoes - yes, enjoy them while you can!
      Funny your mention of bread - that is an upcoming post I planned this week! Hopefully you add suggestions on it.

      I pray no real nasty weather. Thursday cam with super high winds and torrential rain for about 30 minutes. That was enough bad. Glad you are alright.

      I think we all need an attitude adjustment at times!!!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  2. How nice to get a visit from a family member you haven't seen for some time. I hope there was nothing serious requiring the testing.

    It's been a less than busy week here, our weather has been up and down, and I've been feeling a bit down. I need to look more at the positives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it isn't serious as well - haven't heard yet.
      I keep trying to find positives - it is so easy to get down.
      I hope you have a lovely week. Be happy!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm happy for you that you were able to spend time with your niece and her family. How sweet what her son said. That's a big compliment for you and the home you've created, Cheryl.

    I agree with the self pay checkouts at Walmart. I went yesterday and used a cashier. It's all about greed and less about helping your fellow man with employment to support a family with these huge companies.

    So glad you were able to fix your sink and use both sides now. And nice of your neighbor to help and get you a discount. Win-Win!

    Me and my BIL canned peppers from his garden yesterday and now I'm reading all my favorite blogs. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a sweet thing to say - especially for a kid!
      I loathe self-checkouts if you haven't figured that out!!! LOL

      Cool on the peppers. I think I may spend today catching up on some blogs and videos too. Good way to spend an afternoon!
      ENJOY

      Delete
  4. I saw my first hummingbird this morning..I don't feed them so it was kind of a surprise. You did really well this week. Glad you had such a nice visit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first? I just love the humming birds. They are so sweet to watch. They sure are thirsty little babes.
      Thanks. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy seeing your thrifty ways even though we have been stuck in a hotel for several weeks. We save by eating at the breakfast counter included with the price of the room, even if we just have yogurt from their refrigerator and orange juice from the dispenser...otherwise we skip breakfast and eat lunch early around 11. The good part is by eating less and avoiding carbs, I've lost 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate you are still in a hotel. Sounds like you are making the best of it.

      I sure hope you find your forever home soon!
      Take care.

      Delete
  6. So happy you had company and what a sweet neighbor to help you like that. You are a great person and deserve all the lovely gifts you receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor is also a friend, and he always helps if he can. I sure did enjoy the visit.
      Aaahhhhh you are so sweet.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  7. When my son was about 10 years old, he told me he wish our house was more like my friend, Betty's. I asked him why and he said "it was so cute and homey." :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids come up with the darndest things! Too cute.

      Delete
  8. Hi Cheryl , I would love to see some pictures of your cozy "feels like nap" house. Isnt it sweet how children love coziness!! Even mine grown son once made a remark about why the candles weren't burning that particular evening. He said it is always so cozy when I come in. And that coming from a tough teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a few pictures one day. It is a small house, so maybe that is what makes it feel cozy - not sure. I kind of like it too!
      How neat is that. We think teenagers don't pay attention.

      Delete