It has gotten warmer again, but not too bad. Humidity has been down this week, so it has been rather pleasant. Evenings and mornings have been so delightful and the AC goes off during those times. I have just needed the AC during the heat of the day.
It won't be long until we have that cool crisp air of fall.
I have enjoyed just sitting outdoors a bit and watching and listening. Yes, I can hear traffic - but I have gotten good at ignoring it and just hearing the birds, cicadas, and the squirrels. I can zone in on the birds and hear so many different songs. It is so lovely. The squirrels are a hoot, the just play and play. Another groundhog has shown up. I think this is a younger one - as the neighbors' dog (2 doors down) caught and killed what I think was it's momma. So sad. It is hard to get mad at a young-in trying to survive, but it ticks me off when I see it in the tomato patch!!!!!
I have 6 blue jays all of a sudden. I have always had one or two - but they have brought their friends! Oh my they do love peanuts in the shell. I put them out for the squirrels and the jays try to get them first! Their call is so distinctive.
Sleep has been very elusive this week. I just feel so tired. I try to keep busy during the day to tire myself. I have taken a nap here and there. I have taken herbs to help me sleep and NOTHING! I hate when this happens. I had gotten back to sleeping 4 - 5 hours straight and then boom. Hopefully this next week will be better. It's funny I can fall asleep watching TV, then turn it off and WIDE AWAKE I AM! I have even tried to leave it on, but that doesn't seem to help. Once I wake - my mind goes into action. UGH! (maybe I need to start reading again at bedtime)
- I have been working on the pantry and going through things to see what I have.
- Using up some older items. I pulled shelf stable milk out and trying to use some up. Found older purchased mixes to use.
- Made Jello with canned fruit - used the fruit juice as part of the water
- I have been 'doggy sitting' the neighbors dog. They went camping and today is day 5 of watching their baby. He is next door and I go let him out and play with him about 4-5 times a day. They will be home tonight - I am sure he will be happy! (I will be)
- Using rain water on my plants
- Washed down the front & side porches. Cleaned siding, windows, doors and furniture.
- Made a big batch of hummingbird nectar and refrigerated to have on hand. They are drinking a lot more lately.
- Ran to the feed store this week and stopped at the orchard on the way home. Got a few peaches and apples to eat for snacks.
- Have started washing down walls and baseboards and doors
- Picked 3-4 larger tomatoes and lots of smaller ones (have to pick before done so 'Chuck' doesn't get them).
- Picked some wild flowers that are growing in the alley a couple times this week. They look like baby black eyed Susan's.
- My friends from CO came for a visit on Monday. Spent a nice afternoon with them. My goodness they brought me a box of Russel Stover candy and a pretty yard flag and stand. What a surprise. It was good getting to see them - it's been way too long.
- Got to talk to my friend in OR this week as well. It is always so nice to catch up. This has been long distance week!
My meals this past week:
Leftovers and salad
Cheeseburger & salad
Loaded baked potato
Stovetop quiche and sausage patties (both from freezer) & toast
Ground beef stroganoff & sliced tomatoes
Stroganoff & sliced cukes
Grilled ham/cheese/tomato sandwich & chips and salsa (my that sandwich was yummy)
This was the stroganoff mix I found in the pantry and used. It is a bit spicy for sure. I used the shelf stable milk in making this and then to kill a bit of the spice I topped with some sour cream. Tasty and pretty darn cheap and different!
See the pretty little yellow flowers in the background? Those are the pretties from the alley.
I had every intention on cutting my hair this week - but didn't. That is for sure on today's agenda. I also got some faux crab out of the freezer last night to use for todays dinner. I think I will make crab salad today!
I have so many things that need to be used - trying to be better about using up what I have and making some different items.
How has your week been? Any good deals or yummy garden produce?
Are you working on those projects? We will check in on those next Thursday - so we can all feel accountable to someone!!!!!
I pray you all stay safe and healthy this week. May we use the resources we have and be mindful of not wasting and be thankful for each thing we have. We are truly so blessed in so many ways.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours!