Many of us are experiencing winter. It is cold, snowy, wet, damp, gloomy, and just plan old blah! Many are stuck in the house. Outdoor activities are limited. Winter can be the most depressing season of the year.
There are lots of little things we can all do to add a little PUNCH of cheer to our homes and our days.
- Open your blinds and curtains - even if the sun is not shining bright, natural daylight is a mood enhancer. It is so much better than artificial light!
- Re-arrange furniture or pretties if at all possible. Give yourself a different perspective and view of your home
- Turn on FUN music and DANCE! Super good exercise and such a mood enhancer.
- Start that spring cleaning - yes de-clutter and super clean your home. A clean and decluttered home is just more enjoyable and less stressful.
- Add some color - put out some bright pillows, change out a bedspread or linens, add a colorful afghan or quilt. Move pictures around - add some nature pictures (use something you have photographed).
- Paint - paint isn't totally cheap, but it isn't crazy expensive either. Changing the color of a wall or walls can change the mood totally
Color changes so much and just brightens a room. (Not my picture)
- Use boxes, baskets, frames, pots, etc. for storage for pretty, for accents. Not only are there many pretty and interesting options out there - but the can be ever so useful.
- Use things in new ways - get creative
- If you have ANY opportunity to let in some fresh air to the house - take it!!!!!! Air out the musty old winter! Germs thrive in closed up warm houses.
- Go outside as often as you can. No matter how cold - get outside. I am outside at least 7-8 times EVERY day - 365 days a year. Fresh air is healing and refreshing. Feeling tired and sluggish? Go out and walk around the yard or the block - it will wake you up!
- Given the opportunity - grill something outside. Nothing says you can only grill in the summer.
- Get exotic!!!!! Buy a fruit or veggie that you normally wouldn't buy and fix it. A little splurge now and then can sure lift spirits.
- Start planning your garden and your flowers NOW - read the seed catalogs and look at magazines for ideas
- TURN OFF the news and social media!!!!!!!!!! Surround yourself with happy and positive vibes
- Read fun books and watch fun and informative (learning) videos
- Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers from the grocery every now and then! They don't cost much and they will sure brighten a day/home
- Get off you butt and DO SOMETHING! ANYTHING! We all tend to sit and veg out during the winter. Make a plan and get busy and creative - do something different.
- Nature watch - that can be so entertaining - it sure beats TV
You don't have to give into the doom and gloom of winter days. YOU have the option to change things. DO SOMETHING - to change things up a bit. Have a little fun (yes you still can - it isn't outlawed!!!!). You can be safe and still have fun and joy and beauty and enlightenment in your life.
BUST THE GLOOM!!!!!