Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Homemade Wednesday

 I promised to list a few recipes from scratch vs. prepared.  These are just things I have tried and liked - not always my original creation - but tried and tested by me.

Maybe it will help someone.  I will try to do some version of homemade 'something' for the next few Wednesdays.

                                           OK - nobody asked - BUT tis the season!!!!!!!

RICE A RONI
Click on recipe to enlarge!!!!
I love this stuff and I give it as gifts as well.  This was from the original Tightwad Gazette.  I have used with chicken bouillon, beef, onion soup mix in place of bouillon, you can use tomato/chicken bouillon
 - whatever you like.
This makes about 3 cups f mix - 1 cup is equivalent to a box of Rice A Roni.
Now the way it is listed, it is not prepared JUST like the boxed.  If you want it like the box says - you can keep your seasoning separate (mixed) and prepare your rice/pasta in the butter first. That browns the pasta a tiny bit.  Then add water and appropriate amount of seasoning (1/3).


CIDER VINEGAR
Click on recipe to enlarge!!!!
Again, not asked for - but it sure is handy to know.

BISCUITS
Click on recipe to enlarge!
These are very tasty and easy biscuits/scones.  This recipe makes about 30 and they do freeze nicely.  BUT the recipe is such that you could easily halve it with no problem!


HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH
1 pkg. of active dry yeast
1 C hot water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. veggie oil (or what you use)
2 1//2 C All Purpose flour
Dissolve your yeast in the hot/warm water.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Beat about 20-25 good strokes, till all mixed.  Let it rest for 5 minutes.  Divide into 2 balls - roll each ball out on a lightly floured surface.  Place on a lightly greased pan - and add toppings.  Bake at 425* for about 20 minutes.  I often make the 2 - and bake the 2nd crust for about 10 minutes - cool - then freeze for next time.  Baking will not take quite as long on the 2nd pizza (unless you like it crispy).
Very easy and forgiving recipe.  


MAC N CHEESE
I love baked mac n cheese.  That is just the old fashioned and yummy way to make it in my opinion.  I don't always bake it - I sometimes make just a small amount on the stove.
STOVE TOP - Cook macaroni al dente - add whatever cheese you like (can mix) - some milk and seasoning.  I cook until cheese is melted and most of the milk is soaked up by mac.  It is just creamy this way.  Nothing special.
BAKED
I cook the macaroni again, al dente - add equal amounts of cheese (or more) to macaroni.  So, 1 pound of mac = 1 lb. of cheese. YEP - at least.  If I am in the mood, I will add even extra cheese.  Seasonings you like.  (I like using at least 1/2 of cheese as a sharp cheddar for flavor)
I make a rue of milk and flour and pour over the cheese and mac mixture in a buttered baking dish.  You just have to use your judgement on whether it is wet enough for you.
I then bake at 350* until it is bubbly, and the top has browned a little.
Soooooo good!
**This is one of those things that I just fix as I go - no real written recipe.

So, there you have some homemade from scratch items from my kitchen.
Hope this answers a few questions.  Again, each week (for a while) I will list some good old homemade recipes.
ENJOY



12 comments:

  1. Yummy recipes! I will have to pin and print out the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipes, Cheryl. I always have preferred homemade mac n' cheese!

    Browsing online recently, I was astonished to see a set of four soup mixes selling for $39!! Now, I know food prices have gone up, up, up, but that's almost $10 per package of soup mix that, when prepared, makes about 6 servings. Years ago I gave a few gift baskets of soup mix, crackers, etc. and am guessing homemade soup mixes could be done for less? --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. My in-laws have always been big on homemade gifts. Each year for many years, my mil made something for each of her (grown) children. Usually a holiday decoration of some kind. One year, though, she made something truly special that we've all cherished... a collection of her favorite, traditional recipes. Just a thought. Of course, I was a food writer and cookbook author, so it's right up my alley. --Elise

      Delete
    2. Someone is gouging with those prices. Even the Bear Creek brand around here is only like $3something. That is a good brand. No way would I ever pay that much for soup mixes, when I could make a butt load of soup from scratch for less.
      I have done the recipes before as well. Many of the girls wanted 'grandma's' (my mom) recipes. I did that for them - they loved it.
      It is always so nice to get gifts with a loving special care to them.

      Delete
  3. And you know the fun of this post? I have all of these ingredients!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhhhh I still have the Tightwad Gazette book/compilation (purchased at a thrift shop almost 30 years ago!). I still like to page through it. Dining on a Dime cookbook is another good resource. (Mother/daughter Jill Cooper and Tawra Kellam)
    What useful recipes you’ve posted - thank you! I’m with you on the homemade pizza crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I still read through Tightwad every year. Just a good reminder.
      I also have the Dining on a Dime cookbook - lots of goodies in there. I use many of them.
      I just love homemade food!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Homemade mixes are great! All the convenience of boxed food, but no preservatives, no extra trash, and much cheaper!
    I noticed awhile ago that the dollar store had Velveeta soft cheese sauce for $1. Coupled with the pasta sales I used to find, that's $1.33 for the fancy boxed Mac and cheese. However, the convenience of them being packed together was $2.29 and on sale for $1.79. I used to send my brother care packages every month and this was one of his favorites. I started sending them separately. Not only were they cheaper, but more fit into the box!

    I usually take some time about now to make up a bunch of mixes. I have a book, but I've gotten most off blogs and Pinterest. A new one this year will be cornbread mix. Does anyone know if it's actually cheaper than Jiffy lol?! That stuff is pretty cheap! My mom used to buy us all those little boxes when we were starting to bake. I moved on to her cookbook by 4th grade!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy those little squeeze packets of Velveeta. It is very tasty and easy to use. Yes, it is always so much cheaper to make your own (in most cases). I still keep a couple of those Jiffy cornbread mixes around - for corn pudding.
      Not sure if the mix would be cheaper - but at least you know it is just plain old ingredients!

      Delete
    2. Oh, corn bread mixes for a gift is a good idea! I just paid 25 cents for 5 lbs of corn meal! Woo hoo! Super great bargains like that are getting harder to come by. My mix will definitely be cheaper than Jiffy! LOL...I just picked up one of those little paper cookbooks they sell for a few dollars using Jiffy mixes only I got mine for free!.I think I'll copy some recipes to go with the cornbread mixes.
      ~margaret

      Delete