Thursday, September 8, 2022

Use Those Trays for More than Ice

 An ice cube tray is not just an ice cube tray!!!!  They have so many uses for freezing things.  I have extras that I keep that I do not use for ice.  So many things can be frozen and even when you have dribs and drabs left - you can freeze them and use.
It isn't crazy - it is about using everything up - ALL THE TIME!

Tomato sauce or paste is great to freeze in cubes.  Freeze and bag - pull out just what you need for a dish.

Coffee - freeze leftover coffee.  Put a cube in a super-hot cup of coffee to cool and not water it down.  Nice to have on hand to thaw and add to chocolate goods when baking.  Coffee really enhances the flavor of chocolate.

Herbs - freeze fresh herbs in water in trays.  Super handy to have on hand when cooking.


Gravy and sauces - keep even small amounts.  Throw those cubes in that soup pot bag or bowl in the freezer.  Great for adding a little extra flavor

Freeze iced tea or juices for using in a glass of tea.  Keeps things cold and no watering it down.

Soup or soup stock.  It adds bits of flavor that is great for any kind of dish.  Think stock to use in pasta, rice, beans, etc.

Great for leftover wine.  Again, use to keep a glass of wine cold or to add a bit of wine to a dish.  Throw in a grape or piece of fruit in the wine cube and add a refreshing addition to your next glass!

I used to always freeze Kool-Aid in cubes for flavoring tea - and Glen used to like to just crunch on them!  I also used to freeze yogurt in ice cube trays for him.  He loved it that was.  A refreshing treat.

I freeze milk that is about to go south.  I use it in my smoothies in the morning.  Great for making shakes and malts - use for biscuits and for gravy.  Never be without milk.

I freeze eggs in muffin tins (they are bigger), but many people freeze eggs in ice cube trays.  I just never find them large enough for each egg - but I guess it depends on the size of your cube trays.

Juice left from a can of fruit or from cooking fruit?  Freeze it - great for frozen drinks or flavoring in muffins and sweet breads.

If you have littles - you can puree up unseasoned veggies or fruit and freeze in trays for baby food.

NOT an ice cube tray - but you can freeze mashed potatoes, dressings and even meat loaf in muffin tins.  Nice size for a single serving.

I keep lots of extra trays around for all those things that are not ice!  
Make sure you mark your baggies or bowls with descriptions.  Waste nothing - use in some way or another!!!!

31 comments:

  1. My friend freezes yogurt for smoothies. She buys the big tub of plain and then puts scoops of it onto a wax paper cookie sheet. Then stores the frozen lumps in a big baggie. I've never tried it, but I will! Yogurt is expensive and those big tubs are usually a better buy.

    Just a weekend observation that shocked me. Name brand soda was $2.99 ea. for 2 liters. The previous week it was $1.99, which I already thought was crazy. But $3 for a stinkin bottle of soda????? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, the soda has really gone up in price this past year. My husband drinks it so we stock up during the holiday sales. It is not something I would pay that much for, but the sale prices are much better.

      Delete
    2. Our son from CA was here over the holiday weekend with a friend, so we were going to buy some 2 liter bottles of soda. Yikes! Even the prices at Dollar General were high. We're (thankfully) not soda drinkers, but even chips have gone sky high. I'll be bummed if coffee goes up in price, but it's essential in our house. --Elise

      Delete
    3. Soda pop is stupid expensive. I used to get it now and then as a treat. Now only for company coming - which isn't often!!!
      Seriously try the yogurt frozen - it is good. Glen used to love it that way. Yes, the bigger container are more cost effective. I have gotten 6 packs of flavored on clearance and I will jump on that. Aldi is pretty good too - although it has gone up a little there as well.

      Delete
    4. Cheryl, my husband loves his soda, as well. I'm an occasional drinker. You've been lucky to see sales on it. Labor Day was first opportunity to buy a couple. They were B1G1 , which made them $1.50 ea. Still pricey for us. Then I had a coupon for 65¢ off of 2. I never thought I'd see the day where it was cheaper to hit the convenience store fountain than to buy bottles! Our local store does 75¢ refills up to 52 oz. So that's a much cheaper route now.
      We won't talk about the unhealthy aspect lol. It falls on deaf ears when the man wants his soda!! It's his only vice so it could be worse!

      Delete
    5. Hey a man wants what a man wants!!!!! Soda fountain drinks are the way to go if you want one. Love the fizz!!!!

      Delete
  2. How timely! I JUST read about freezing heavy cream in ice cube trays this morning, on another forum I follow -- https://www.littlehouseliving.com/cream-cubes.html. My initial thought was what a great way to save on cream for my morning coffee! Growing up, frozen Kool-Aid was a treat, and as an adult, I'd often freeze orange or other juice and use the cubes in iced tea, a trick I learned from my mother-in-law, who always cut the iced tea with orange juice. I'm thinking of freezing cranberry and apple juice to use as cubes in Thanksgiving beverages and maybe in some Sangria????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cream would be perfect that way. (good forum).
      I do juice a lot for tea. Your idea of apple juice/cider or cranberry would be quite festive for the holidays! Great idea!!!! Sangria, Sprite, tea, anything!!!

      Delete
  3. I use ice cube trays when I make a batch of pesto. It's nice to reach in the freezer and pull out a cube or two to make a dish with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of way to save the leftover bits! We are only limited by our imagination. I started the Barbara Kingsolver book last night. Gives you a whole new perspective on farming.

    Beautiful day! We plan to harvest the rest of the potatoes today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to save things. No wasting - no wanting.
      Beautiful day for harvesting. I am going to mow!

      Delete
  5. LOVE all the ideas, Cheryl... and everyone. Thanks!
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are mighty welcome!!! Some great ideas coming in!!

      Delete
  6. I have done this with aus jus as we never use it all and I throw it in gravy! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of using those trays for gravy, stocks and just leftover drippings. I used to use them to freeze cubes of homemade baby food in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can freeze bits and bobs of about anything. No sense to waste it - when it can season something else.

      Delete
  8. That's a great idea, I sometimes splash my leftover coffee in soups or gravies. The ice cube tray sounds perfect! I used to freeze my homemade baby food in ice cube trays too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Others have listed some great ideas here.

      Delete
  9. I was taking lemonade to a garden party and did not want it diluted by ice. I froze trays of lemonade and took to the party and put cubes in the container and poured lemonade in. The lemonade was cold and no one used ice cubes. I did use a heart shaped silicone tray and emptied it many times at home to freeze many cubes. I did take three trays to the party full of heart cubes and a gallon bag of pre-frozen heart cubes. Everyone love it, loved the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I bet that was very festive and well enjoyed!

      Delete
  10. I got some inexpensive silicone ice cube trays on clearance at Joann's once and those are nice for freezing little bits of food. It was after a holiday so my frozen bits are festive shapes!

    I also save the little portion cups that often come with carryout meals. I don't get carryout often but I have a whole bowl of those little containers I keep using over and over. I can freeze the juice of one lemon or enough chopped cilantro or a wedge of avocado for a recipe, etc. They stack nicely in the freezer.

    My daughter has given me a box full of the little Beechnut baby food jars. I tested one and it froze just fine. I'm careful about thawing so I don't crack the jar. It holds about a 1/3 cup of liquid. Which often turns out to be just enough for whatever I'm making. Lol

    I love saving all the little bits! Often it is just enough for what I'm making or to finish off a recipe nicely.
    ~~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those little bits can be just what is needed in a dish.
      I love your ideas. Those containers and the jars - great re-uses. Hey, who doesn't love a festive chunk of stock or veggies??? LOL

      Delete
  11. Love all these tips Cheryl. Ice cube trays are very useful and I loved all the comments telling more ways to use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The readers are the best. You guys always have the best ideas.

      Delete
  12. Never commented before, but I have used the trays from boxes of chocolates as ice cube trays and they last a surprisingly long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Su - glad to have you here!!!!!
      What a clever idea. I would never have thought of that. They are pretty strong. Great way to recycle.!!!!

      Delete
  13. Su! What an idea! Thanks for sharing.
    (Sooo next time I buy a box of chocolates it WILL be for the plastic tray! Honest!)
    ~~ margaret

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am thinking... herbs in butter... ready to pop into cooking. I like Su's comment above too! Great ideas Cheryl.xxx

    ReplyDelete