Thursday, April 13, 2023

FREE garden from Scraps

 Happy Thursday all.  Today we talk about the chance of having a small garden for basically free.  Using scraps from the kitchen.

I have done many of these ideas and had success.  Some better than others.  But heck, if you are planning on throwing something away - why not try and plant it and get a little more use from it!!?

Greens Onions - many people eat only the green leafy tops and re-grow the white bulb (onion) part.  I have never truly understood that, except maybe in the winter.  I have always eaten the entire green onion!  I was blown away the first time I realized people didn't.  Anyway, I buy onion sets and plant them for my green onions.  I buy plenty and keep them in a paper bag in the frig and I can replace and replenish all summer long.
I find I can buy a bunch of these much cheaper than buying onions at the store.  YES, you can buy bunches of green onions at the store, Eat the green and plant the bulb or set in water to grow.  I sometimes let my onion sets stay in the ground until fall (not pulling) and then I get tennis ball size onions.

Romaine Lettuce - or even buttercrunch or any leafy lettuces - I buy romaine at the store and I cut the end off - the part that was by the ground.  I then use that and set in water until it roots and then plant.  I do get additional leaves of lettuce.  I have done this many times.
Just cut your lettuce - don't pull it out.  You will continue to get new leaves until it gets to hot and bolts. 

Sweet Potato - you can actually start those on water.  Place part in a glass of water (glass or toothpicks holding it off the bottom).  Let it start to sprout and leaf out - then you can plant.  They can actually be planted in the garden.  I have used regular eating sweet potatoes to start lovely plants and then planted.  I actually got several sweet potatoes by fall.

Cabbage - when harvesting, do not pull the plant out of the ground.  Cut the cabbage off the plant - smaller new heads will form.  I have always gotten at least 4 small heads on each plant after the main harvest.  They are small - but still good!
Same with broccoli.

Carrots, beets, turnips, and root crops - NO it will not grow new root vegetable, but the greens will keep growing and producing and they are very good for you as well.  They can be eaten or used in smoothies and drinks.  I love radish and beets greens cooked up!  Turnip greens as well.

Herbs - most herbs can be cut and rooted in water for additional plants.  Great way to have starts that you can have in the house all winter.

Potatoes - many people buy seed potatoes which have been treated for planting outdoors.  I have used my 'eating' potatoes that have sprouted.  I cut them into sections, making sure there is a sprout and a good piece of potato on each section - then place them on paper and allow to 'dry' for 2-3 days.  Plant sprout upward.  Follow all the rules of planting potatoes - covering as they grow green shoots for a while.  I did this a couple years ago for the first time and got several nice potatoes.


Celery - I do the same thing as with Romaine lettuce.  Cut off the base end - and start in water so that new roots begin.  I do something that I have not seem recommended - I scrape the bottom end of the celery base - it gives it a better porous bottom to absorb water.  NO you probably won't get a bunch of celery - but you will get lots of shoots and leaves that you can use.

Garlic - Separate the garlic bulb into all the cloves - plant those point side up.  Many people plant in the fall and let it over winter in the ground - and by spring there are many new bulbs of garlic.

Tomatoes - we have all seen the pictures where they show planting slices of tomato (usually Roma) in a pot!  I have known people who have done that and gotten many plants!!!!  I wouldn't have necessarily believed it, except I knew them.
I do have volunteer tomatoes come up each year.  They appear from tomatoes that may have fallen off in the fall.  I often let them grow and I do get some type of tomato.  Many tomatoes are not heirloom - so you may get something different from the year before - but it is still a tomato!

I have saved seeds from exceptional tasting melons - I don't have the room to grow them - but my brother does.  He has planted those seeds and grown us great melons.
You can try to save seeds from peppers, zucchini, or any other squash and plant.  You may get a surprise - but you will get some veggie!!!!

I have even heard that you can cut the stems from purchased mushrooms and plant then in fluffy light soil - keep moist and in a warm place and you get new mushrooms.  I have not tried this one - I may give it a try next time.  That would be cool.

So there you go.  I am sure some of my explanations are as clear as mud!!!!!  LOL
I hope most are understandable.  
Have you regrown anything?  Have you had success?

Again, the old adage - waste not - want not!!!!!  Another alternative to the compost pile!
Daddy used to have the biggest pumpkins come from the compost pile!!!!!!!



30 comments:

  1. Good morning, I have tried growing celery but I guess I didn't have the patience.
    Can you tell me why you let the cut potatoes dry off before you planted them? Also we planted potatoes last year and got quite a good crop but they ended up spoiling before I used them all. Are you suppose to "cure" them for them to last longer?
    I'm going to try doing lettuces again this year. Just need to find a spot that isn't too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask, do you get squash bugs on your zucchini? And if you do how do you get rid of them?

      Delete
    2. The reasoning behind drying off of potatoes - not sure - it has just always been done that way in my family! I see many farmers that do the same. I used my potatoes before I lost any - you must have had a good crop. Dad always left his potatoes on paper for q while (in a cool spot) before storing them. I know my brother does as well - guess that is kind of curing.
      Oh yes, I usually get bugs in the zucchini. It seems inevitable. I sprinkle a little baking soda to help for a while. I think it just messes them up - I have also heard people using baby powder or talc - I guess it is better than Seven dust!
      Lettuce can be tricky - heat really messes with it. Maybe in a sunny spot on a sun porch (in pots) or something if you get too hot.

      Delete
    3. On the potatoes - you also get more starts by cutting - and I kind of assume that by drying, they are maybe less likely to get bugs. It heals the cut and maybe that is a deterrent. Just my thoughts.

      Delete
    4. Potatoes definitely need a cool, dark place to keep. We had a cellar on the farm where I grew up. In newer homes there usually isn't a spot. If your garage doesn't freeze, you could keep them out there longer than in the house.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the suggestions! I do basement here - but not everyone has one.

      Delete
  2. The pumpkin seeds loved all that lovely compost! We keep green onions going during summer and fall. The ones you buy in the store are pitiful for the most part. One thing we don't grow are winter squashes and probably should. Delicata is one of my favorite squashes. Digging through what had been a potato bed last summer, we discovered more potatoes that had over wintered. It seems we have volunteer tomatoes pop all over the backyard. I'm sure the birds have helped that along. I follow a blogger who lives on a mountain in New York state and she always raises celery. I'll have to ask her if she regrows her celery.

    Beautiful weather! I'm headed out to do some pruning and cleaning out some flower beds. At least that's the plan. We basically have lunch ready. Leftover salmon patties, mashed potatoes for potato cakes, leftover kidney bean salad, hard cooked eggs ready to be deviled, kale, and corn on the cob that we found at Fresh Thyme (Erin used to call it corn on the hay...apparently the dried silks reminded her of hay). Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh things love growing in the compost!!! I don't raise winter squash either - I eat it so seldom, I can just get one locally if I need it.
      Tomatoes are great for volunteering!!!
      Lunch sounds like dinner to me!!!! It is so pretty - the house is opened up and airing. Going out to prune some myself!

      Delete
  3. Good morning! My luck with the tips has been hit or miss, depending mostly on weather, but one thing I've always done is save seeds. Whether squash, fruit (like melons, etc.), bolted greens (let gone to seed), or various flowers in the garden, it's a habit I picked up while gardening in Ohio. It can save a bunch of money. For some I let them go to seed naturally, shake them out on newspaper (when I had a garage) and let them dry. For squash, melons, apples, etc. that you seed before eating (and even with tomato seeds), I'll clean them off in a bowl of tepid water with no more than a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice and put them in a clean pie dish or on a wax paper lined cookie sheet to dry. That smidge of acid prevents any mold.

    One thing many have to keep in mind--thinking of Debby and those of us in the west--is water usage needed for your "grow"ceries. In many areas now, water usage is restricted; if you go over the set amount, you can wind up with a large overage fee. But also just the increased water bill, if you aren't restricted, can add up. CA has horrifically high water bills. In which case starting plants from seed will produce more for the $$ than reviving/planting most kitchen scraps. The exception being potatoes. Just thoughts.

    Hope all have a sunny end of the week! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have always cleaned and laid out seeds to dry well. Then I pack for the next season in envelopes. Not plastic - just paper packs. Keep dry.
      As far as watering - you are right there are restrictions in some places. That is when keeping a bucket in the tub when showering pays off - or collecting tub water or even dish water (if no harsh chemicals). That water can be recycled and poured on each plant individually. It has already been used once - why not twice? There are definitely ways to get around some things.
      Great tips!

      Delete
  4. All great tips... i haven’t had much luck regrowing lettuce, it just never seems to take or is really bitter because it takes too long to grow.
    I save seeds every year from my sunflowers that I have grown for well over 15 years. I originally started with a $2 packet, they have been the ultimate gift that keeps on giving. Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? How neat. I quit planting sunflowers as the squirrels always got to them and ate them! Now I let them plant their own and even corn - they plant - they get to eat it! Free feed.
      I have always done the regrowing of lettuce inside (during the winter) and on my shaded porch - so it doesn't get direct sun or too much heat. Just an idea.

      Delete
    2. I have tried growing it in all different spots, I think even one year we had to do it as a school science experiment and ended up with a black goopy mess. That was embarrassing.
      I have chickens who eat most of our scraps so I’m happy that not much gets wasted.
      Yes the sunflowers have provided meals for wildlife over the years but that’s okay too. Louise

      Delete
    3. I know lettuce is hard to grow in some areas and it is not all alike when it comes to growing. I guess there are just some things it is wiser per region to buy! I am ok with that.
      I will buy winter squash, sweet potatoes, and any more green beans. They became a problem for me.

      Delete
    4. Oh green beans can be very hot or miss for me. One year I had a bumper crop, the next year had a grasshopper plague, so got none, the following season was a great one too.
      I’ve never really had great success with chick peas but every year still plant them in the hope I get more than a couple of meals from them. It would definitely be more cost effective to simply buy fresh chick peas from the local market but the joy of eating a meal from what you have grown is unbeatable in my books. Gardening is one area where my trying to live as frugally as I can really takes a hit. Louise

      Delete
  5. Hi, Cheryl
    Great tips. I save seeds and regrow scraps -- especially when I'm itching to garden and the weather doesn't want to cooperate. I have never used onion sets before but I think I will try them. Thank you.
    Last year I experimented with the bottoms of large purple onions and some yellow onions. I cut off the end with the dried roots about 1/2 inch thick and put them in water. After a while a green shoot shot up and the roots grew. They got planted, fertilized etc. in a couple of containers. I left them in until fall and got onions about half the size of a tennis ball, but still onions. I always grow my own sweet potato slips. Just like you said put the sweet potato in water, but when they sprout let the sprouts grow for a couple of inches. Then snap them off as close to the potato as possible. Put those slips in water in a sunny place and let them root. Once rooted plant. At the end of 100 days you will have sweet potatoes. I usually plant them in containers. Last year was a bumper crop of 30 pounds. Once baked they freeze really well, so nothing goes bad. I just bake them whole and vacuum seal them. Spent most of the day today making seed tape. Beets, carrots, radishes and arugula. This sure saves wear and tear on the back. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The onion sets work great. You can find them all over the place here.
      Neat on the onions- hey, you get onions in the fall = that is all that matters!
      Sounds like you have sweet potatoes down pat.
      I love the idea of making seed tapes. I did that a couple of times - seed tapes are expensive.

      Delete
  6. I haven't ever grown onions, and I think your idea of the sets is a good one. I'll have to look into finding a package to try.
    This year I've started marigolds and tomatoes from seed saved from last fall.I'm having more luck with the tomatoes than the marigolds but that's okay. My petunia experiment did not come to fruition. I probably got only the shell and not the seeds.
    I'll do potatoes again this year, and I've got seeds for my lettuce. I'm chuckling beause I'll definitely be growing more veg than flowers this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The onions are so easy and quick with the onion sets. Here we find them at hardware stores, lumber marts, feed stores, even some groceries sell them.
      Good job on saving seed and planting. Flowers are beautiful but so is food!!!!! The plants are still pretty, as is all the lovely veggies.

      Delete
  7. I put the bulbs of some green onions that the tops had gotten yuk in a pot on my deck four years ago and we ate the tops regularly for all that time. The 7 degree temps at Christmas finally did them in but I planted another round leftover from holiday meals and we are harvesting tops most weeks for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. That is a great way to do it. Sounds like you have had great luck!

      Delete
  8. I have celery in a dish of water in the window right now. I just used leaves from the last one I had and threw it away. I will grow sweet potato sprouts to plant in hanging baskets or in the outer area around flowers. I only want the foliage, but will eat any sweet potatoes that grow. My friend took home a sprout growing on one of my white potatoes, stuck it in the edge of a flower pot in her house that got lots of sun. She grew a potato.
    My friend from NY said he called his father to find out how to grow tomatoes. His father told him in the fall to throw tomatoes at the side of the garage. In the spring plenty of tomato plants would come up. I have not tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. That is great. I always have volunteer tomatoes grow up from where one hit the ground in the fall. You don't know the type of tomato you may end up with - but you get tomatoes.
      Sweet potato and reg. potato vines are pretty.

      Delete
  9. I have always just cut my lettuce and not pulled. I get lettuce all year that way. We also seem to get lots of tomato plants growing wild when spring arrives. I guess I just don't get them all picked and they fall off into the garden.

    I have had luck saving seeds from store bought peppers, pumpkins, lemons and years ago oranges, I need to start doing this once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been the same way = I just cut/pick lettuce - not the plant. It continues to regrow here - until it gets too hot.
      Those freebie tomato plants are always great! I have done peppers as well. A couple years ago I also saved seeds from the best cantaloupe I had ever had (bought at farm market). Brother gets to grow those!

      Delete
  10. I have my lettuce piece in water! So I'll see what happens. I have some sweet potatoes- they were finally cheap here- so going to try that. I did plant grocery store potatoes in my garden last summer. As I was getting close to planting I kept the sprouting potatoes that were on my counter to put in my garden. I planted the whole potato instead of cutting it up. I saw that idea on a video. Last time I cut up my seed potatoes many of them turned rotten. I guess they weren't completely dry when I planted. Anyway, the potatoes were smallish but I had way more than I planted. I'll probably use the grocery ones again. Potatoes have been cheap here and so I've been buying a lot but a few along the way sprout before I get to them so I'm saving those for the garden.
    I have avocado seeds in water. My brother has great success. I haven't yet. But I'm trying again. Free plants!
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go. Glad you are giving things a try. There are just so many things we can do with things that might otherwise get trashed and make new 'grow'ceries. I love this. Good luck on all counts!!

      Delete
  11. Good gardening tips Cheryl. We usually grow some potatoes from last year's crop that have sprouted. I have about 10 tomato plants growing on my kitchen window sill grown from seed. We have an allotment with a poly tunnel and every year random tomato plants grow from dropped fruit. It's a bit like lucky dip when we keep and transplant them, they could be one of 4 different kinds. I have tried growing celery from the root but not been very successful. We have compost bins and having thrown away squash plants/seeds often have some kind of mutated squash plants that grow, quite edible, just different.
    I would love to try and grow sweet potatoes, will have to give them a try. It is no good trying to plant sweet corn, there is a badger set at the allotment grounds and they eat them before everyone else has a chance to. Father in law always saves some green bean seeds which saves money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on using last years potatoes. It is neat that people can have a plot for garden without having it at home. Nice there are places that do that.
      Beans from seed are super easy. The only problems I ever have with beans is groundhog eating them! I understand your frustration on buggers eating stuff.

      Delete
  12. I have 3 romaine bottoms in water now. 2 are sending up new leaves. Free salad! I will have to try your onion set idea. We try for big onions using the sets and I've since read they won't grow large, as it is a 2nd year plant wanting to go to seed. I do have walking onions for spring onions also. Will pull some and dehydrate.
    I, too, always have volunteer potatoes and tomatoes. And I did spy some new life coming out on last year's swiss chard stalks. Free is always good.

    ReplyDelete