Sunday, February 24, 2019

Frugal Happenings 2/24

Good morning.  We are now approaching the end of February.  Truthfully, I am glad.
We have had the wettest and ickiest February in years and years.  Hopefully March will be better.  It seems every weekend has brought a pretty extensive weather event this month!
Today is no exception.  Oh my, the wind is just ridiculous!  We mare having 35 - 45 mph sustained winds and gusts of 60 mph.  Most of the rain missed our area last night, but this wind...….UGH!

Momma and Fluffy are hiding under the back porch - the greenhouse is rattling too much for them.  Poor babies.

It has truly been a super quiet week.  Just haven't had a lot of oomph!
My frugal week:
  • Did a lot of reading and research
  • Been working on my deep spring clean more
  • I did go out one 'nicer' day and picked up a crazy number of sticks in the yard.  I only got the bigger ones, there are a ton of little ones.  So anxious to do spring clean-up!
  • Scoured all the bird baths and watering holes outside on a 'warmer' day
  • I found the leather punch and added holes to a belt that was too big - thus giving me a new one to wear.  I have a couple others I may do as well (thinking of cutting one down that was G's).
  • Doing all the regular stuff - laundry in cold, hanging much laundry in basement to dry (adds humidity), making tea, cooking from home, etc.
  • I did go out one day this week.  Ran to Kroger to get fresh asparagus - .99/lb.  We love this time of year, as there is always affordable fresh asparagus to be had.
  • I got a few mark downs as well.  Not a lot to choose from.  I got 4 bags of Heath toffee/choc.chips for .99 each, and can of Maxwell House coffee for 3.79 and 2 packs of blueberry bagels for .79 ea.  I got what they had.  Kroger clearance hasn't been that great recently at our closest store.  (I might need to check out other locations)
Sorry the picture isn't the clearest!!!!!  But you get the idea!

Meals this past week:
Stew (leftover)
Grilled corned beef/Swiss sammies and cup of soup
Eggs, bacon, hash browns & toast
Cheesy chili mac and hot dogs and sliced veggies with dip
Leftover cheesy chili mac and a nice salad
Beef and cheese nachos
Fried chicken breast and steamed asparagus
******************************************


This is so much of how I have been feeling lately.  I am thankful everyday - but so much is happening in the world that is unsettling.  It just reminds me of how totally fortunate we are.  We take so much for granted when we should be thankful for everything.  We live like Kings to many!

How was your week?  Did you get any good deals?  What is on your frugal agenda?
I love hearing from everyone - we have had so many new ladies commenting lately.  I LOVE IT!  I think maybe we are growing, learning and teaching - all of us together!!!!!


May your week be blessed beyond measure.  I pray for health and safety for each of you. 
I hope we all learn something each day, share something each day, and live a generous life.
Blessings from our humble home to yours!

14 comments:

  1. That wind is coming at us now Cheryl. I can just imagine the noise the greenhouse is making! Quite a wind storm for sure. You got quite a few markdowns. It seems like I always miss them. I probably need to go earliere.
    Like you I love to learn and I have been watching Wendy Dewitt on youtube lately. Someone said something about her in a comment in another video and off I was. She talks about stocking up and I love her ideas. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is noisy for sure. Poor babies.
      Stay safe that wind is nuts.

      My Daddy always told me I should learn something new everyday. I try.

      Delete
  2. Agreed, feel so fortunate that it takes so little to be content these days and understand that spring will be even sweeter this year after this endless winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mam. I am ready. I love seeing everything come back to life.
      Isn't it a wonderful gift we are given as we get older, that we realize the little things are the great wonders of life.

      Delete
  3. We're trying to dry up after a week of rain. I feel your pain. I hope you have a great week, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine. Your area has had so much stinking rain. Crazy. I know you have to be ready to dry out, sit back and watch flowers bloom!
      Have a lovely one

      Delete
  4. We had strong wind today too. I hope it helps to dry the ground some! We do have so much to be thankful for!! This world has gone crazy and those of us who have learned to enjoy the little things, I think, are a step or two ahead of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do. And you are so right, the people of the world seem to have totally lost all common sense and morals. I am glad the simple things make us happy too.
      So much that we will all be able to handle that others won't.
      Stay safe and dry!

      Delete
  5. We had the crazy strong winds on Friday. Hail yesterday. Today was cool, but beautiful. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same, but 55! I'm hoping to throw open the windows and air out the house.

    You find such good clearance at Kroger. Ours is never that good. It seems like its mostly stuff I don't need like party favors, ear buds, make up, etc. And the prices are still too high in my opinion. I occasionally find good rye bread for 1.49 and I'm thrilled lol.

    I didn't feel very accomplished all last week. I think the bitter cold just froze my bones. I didn't even want to do fun stuff. I'm hoping for a better week cuz now I'm BEHIND!!

    I did manage to make dinner all the nights we needed it! We had:
    Pork roast and onion potatoes
    Tacos
    Tuna Melts and chips
    Pizza and salad
    Spaghetti chili
    White enchiladas
    I had leftover frozen soup one night DH ate at church

    I'm gonna need to start writing the menus down!! I'm having a tough time remembering every week! Since I cook most nights, the weeks all run together! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, about not feeling accomplished. Some weeks I feel I do good just getting the basics done. I just don't have the oomph I used to have, at least in the winter.


      Your menu sounds really good. It is nice to see what others are having, it gives us all new ideas.
      I have to write down everything in a notebook, or I would remember nothing!

      Enjoy the better temperatures! Still cold here.

      Delete
  6. Well we will probably get the wind next, I can imagine the outdoor animals hate. I wish we had a Kroger here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sure the wind is coming your way. Stay safe.
      Those poor kitties are sure sleeping today. They had to be stressed and tired.
      Kroger is pretty cool!

      Delete
  7. I love the little sign. It is so true. We need to be grateful for what we have everyday because lots of people have so much less. You scored some great deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take so much for granted. we are so wealthy compared to many in the world.

      Delete