I even did a bit of research on them, just to see what was available in information.
In 1917 Piggly Wiggly was the first to allow customer to actually take items from the grocery shelves themselves and put them in hand held baskets. It was embraced by people.
In the 80's a couple place started an idea of self check-out. It was an expensive endeavor for the retailer to set up and it was not well accepted. In 2001, K-mart placed some self check-outs in their stores and they removed them in 2003.
It appears more people DISLIKE them than like them.
So why do stores continue to have them? One word - GREED!!!!!! It has nothing to do with efficiency for you and aiding you in any way - it is all about the bottom line and their profit. The less people they employ the more money they make, or so they think.
People have been known to scan bar codes on sticky labels (at home) and then put them on more expensive products at the store. Cheaters will always find a way to cheat!
I go to certain stores for various reasons. Aldi - I don't mind bagging my own groceries, as I get cheaper prices there. If I go to Kroger or Wal-Mart or Meijer I expect service. The prices do not reflect lesser service and my involvement.
Perhaps if you were given a discount for using the self check-out, I might consider it (doubtful).
My reasons for not liking them are as follows:
- I don't work there!!!!!! If I wanted a job, I would have one. Odds are it wouldn't be at the grocery, because anyone who knows me, knows that would not be a good idea for me!!! LOL! I would not make any $ - I'd spend it.
- Self check-outs are replacing jobs. I don't want to participate in someone not having a job because I am impatient
- I pay more at most stores - because I am paying for SERVICE!
- Self check-out machines can be intimidating. You mess up something and you still NEED A PERSON to fix it (and I have seen the looks people get)
- I will not be admonished by a MACHINE for placing something on the conveyor at the wrong time or in the wrong place
- I am not that impatient, that I can't wait a couple minutes. I am no better than anyone else.
I can't tell you how many times I have been in line with others who only have a couple items, when a cashier says "self check is open", and we all just say NO thank you.
What say you? Self check or full service?