Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Let's MIX It Up!

 Just a few simple mixes for your pantry or for gifts.  Simple things today.  I will do more posts with other mixes - at least once a week.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

ONION SOUP MIX
3/4 C instant minced onion
4 tsp. onion powder
1/3 C beef bouillon (dry)
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. sugar
Mix together and store in an airtight container.  
2 TBSP. = one packet of store bought onion soup mix

ESSENCE OF EMERIL (ORIGINAL)
Emeril is a TV chef and he used to always call this "BAM"
2 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp.  salt
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. thyme.
Mix together and keep in an airtight container.  Use to taste.
Love this stuff!!!!!

PEPPERMINT COFFEE
1/3 C sugar (or equivalent of sweetener)
1/4 C powdered non-dairy creamer
1/4 C instant coffee granules
2 Tbsp. cocoa
2 Tbsp. crushed peppermint candies
Mix and place in a jar.  INSTRUCTIONS:  Mix 2 full Tbsp. to 1/2 C boiling water
This would be cute in a nice jar which is given with a fun mug

PUMPKIN DIP
MIX 
2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. cinnamon
Place in a baggie
Give with a 15 oz. can pf pumpkin and 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
Mix softened cream cheese with sugar/spices and then add pumpkin and mix.
Serve with gingersnaps or graham crackers
**I have given without the cream cheese (added an instruction label that says mix with your own)
And then I gift the ginger snaps or graham crackers
I am not a pumpkin person - but this is really good.

CREAM OF SOUP
2 C dry milk
2 1/2 C flour
1/4 C chicken bouillon powder   (or your fav)
2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp, thyme
1 tsp. basil
Mix together and store in an airtight jar.
For casseroles mix 1/2 C to 1 1/4 C cups of water to 1/2 C mix
FOR SOUP - 1 C to 2 C water to 1/2 C mix
Equivalent to 10 cans of soup
**Think of the options - you could add any diced veggie or mushrooms to add extra flavor when cooking

CRAZY SALT - "Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up"
3Tbsp. onion flakes
2 Tbsp. garlic flakes (minced)
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. basil
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. marjoram
Mix together and store in air tight jar.
Great on salads and veggies OR anything!!!!



This is a huge hit - no matter who gets it!  No it isn't low in calories and yes it is rich - but man it is YUMMY!!!
This is so good on toast and especially hot biscuits!
I used to get this at the Amish grocery and I spent a small fortune to get it.  Now I can make anytime and it is a hit as a gift.


WHY?  You may ask why make these things when they are so easy to buy already done.  WHY - when you need many ingredients to make? 
Well, you know what is in your seasonings and goodies - there is no added extras - anti-clumping - no preservatives, etc..
You can double or triple any of these to have plenty on hand or making it easier to gift.

Have fun and enjoy some homemade goodies.  Think about YUMS for yourself and others.
More recipes later!!!!!!


20 comments:

  1. Fun original recipes, no packaging involved! I add honey to my peanut butter. The onion soup mix would come in handy in so many recipes.

    Hope your Abi is doing nicely. I was reading this morning in 2Kings 18:2 that Abi was the mother of Zachariah. (Avi in Hebrew). An ancient name for a sweet little girl!

    Boy it cooled down. We are recanning spaghetti sauce this morning. Bought a giant can at Gordon Food Service and will recan into pint jars.

    Lindy posted on Instagram that half of one of her lungs was removed. She has been through the wringer. Told her I was still praying for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade recipes - all natural and no additives. The onion soup mix I use just like store bought.
      It is down right chilly!!!!! I put socks on - that says everything! LOL

      It is Adi not Abi . Her name is short for Adilynne. But that is a sweet thought. She is still doing pretty good.
      I say that about Lindy - she sure is a trooper. Poor gal.

      Delete
    2. Just call me dyslexic! ha!

      Delete
    3. Hey, no problem. I think someone else called her that as well. Your heart was thinking of her!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl! Much appreciated. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cheryl
    You often speak of your simple life and your sweet, cozy little home. You have spent your life making this paradise for you and G. He may not be there in body but his soul stays there with you. All the things that you give to us speak of your love for life and your willingness to make other people improve theirs. Your gift to other widows, your daily joy, proving to us all that you don't have to have everything to be happy in everything. I am also happy to just have my home, food in the pantry and my pets for company. Our young people some how got the notion that material things will make them happy. I am happy to read your pages that give me info that help me live a simple life, that help me make food that not only takes away hunger but is delicious and easy to create. You may think you live alone but if you go in your guest room you will find it is full of people riding along and sharing in the blessings you offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely sentiment. Just lovely. Thank you so much.
      I am just doing what I think we are supposed to. And truthfully I don't know where I would be if I didn't have this group of ladies with me. My life would be very different without all of you. This truly keeps me going.

      I don't need a lot to have a nice life. Never have needed a lot. Love, happiness, health, a warm bed, food, my pets and enough!!!!! Enough is plenty.
      Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart - those words mean so much.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what great Ideas! I love the cream of soup mix, as you use that in so many recipes.I was always looking for a way to duplicate those cans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Cheaper than a bunch of cans and so much better for you.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for sharing! Keep them coming as they are welcome and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound so good. I will have to try most of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl,
    It's me back again today. I have been sorting thru my pantry, getting things organized. I have been stocking up on canned goods, pasta, cereals. Already had plenty of rice, beans, flour, sugar and yeast. I am thankful that fall is coming and we are cooling off. I am in the Dallas area and we are expecting rain for a couple of days. I enjoy it other than the dogs do not want to go out and take care of business. If they will not, I just pick them up (except the 80# one) and carry them out. Anyway, got some good deals on meat an have the freezer stocked. I made a batch of spicy vegetable beef soup and am working on chicken tortilla this after noon. I make a a lot and let cool and then bag up to freeze. I am reaching out to you and your readers for simple tasty soups to add to my choices that I can make and freeze. I also have a beef taco soup that is easy. Any suggestions you can give. I find soups to be perfect in winter with cornbread, rolls or other homemade breads. I make and freeze those as well. Look forward to you advice. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing great. Love that you are getting organized and stocking.
      It was much cooler here today - we have rain chances (& storms) for the next few days. UGH.
      I do like sleeping in cooler temps at night! Makes yard work easier too.

      Soup - I love soup. I had some cheesy broccoli soup from the freezer today. Your veggie and chicken tortilla both sound good. How about chili or lasagna soup - pot of soup beans and ham - maybe served with rice or potato soup. Those are my easy go to ones.
      I have a HUGE soup cookbook, I will come up with some easy soup recipes and post them. Keep watching!

      Delete
  8. I made pumpkin pie spice awhile ago, and have it stored in a glass jar, I also made some Mexican spice mix since my city does not carry things like that.

    Must try the coffee mix recipe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixes sure can be fun. We can come up with whatever we want.
      It is a good drink - I have some others I will post later as well.
      Take care

      Delete
  9. I love the sound of these. I use the onion soup mix all the time but I will definitely try your recipe the next time. As for peppermint coffee...yum, yum! That will be my weekend treat.

    ReplyDelete