Wednesday, October 13, 2021

We are the Champions!

 INDEED! We are the champions of our households.  We are working towards having financially stable homes, full pantries and a sustainable future.  That is what we do!
We live as simply as possible, we re-use and re-cycle, we keep neat homes, we plan and prepare.

We all know (or should) that having huge amounts of money is not what makes you happy.  If it were, we wouldn't hear of so many bad relationships and self loathing and destructive behavior in Hollywood.
We know there is so much more to happiness.  Our families, our friends, our Creator, stability, pets, love, home, etc.  There is so much to be said about contentment.  A content person is JUST HAPPY with what they have and thankful for all.


I  am one that planned for this time in life (as well as I/we could).  I am thankful to have only utility bills, insurance and taxes for the most part.  I live on very little money.  I really think people would be amazed at how little I spend.  It isn't really because I have to - I just see no need to spend all willy-nilly.  I have all I need.  It enables me to help others when necessary.
Sure I will spend when I find something that really would fit in my home and needs.  I do allow for wants as well - I just don't want much.
You can't totally deprive yourself or you will hate living a frugal life.  You have to give in once in a while.  Buy that pretty bauble or that new piece of furniture.  You can buy those treats or go out to eat once in a while.  Then you won't feel like you are struggling or just surviving.  Being frugal doesn't mean you can't still ENJOY life!  Quite the contrary - it often times gives you the ability to do fun things.

Treat everything you have as something special.  A blessing.  There are so many in the world - that can't imagine living like you do.  You are rich in their eyes.  You know what?  You are rich!!!  
Those who are blessed with decent health, family, friends, great memories, food, a bed, etc. ARE RICH!  You woke up this morning!  You have been given another day.  Yep, that is pretty special.

I have a very small home - not in the best area - BUT I have a home
I have decent, clean clothes, most bought at yard sales/thrift - BUT I have clothes
I have a pantry and I am quite flexible with food prep.  It doesn't have to be fancy - BUT I have nourishment
I have the love of family, friends and pets - what more do I need
I need nothing fancy.  Cost/spending doesn't mean I have less.  I am good.  You are too.  You are blessed.

Many of us have been preparing for this for years.  Some are new to preparing.  It is all good - because we are all working in the right direction.  Taking care of our families in the event that IT hits the fan.  We will be OK.  We can make do, compromise, be flexible and adjust.  We have a community here that helps us.  We encourage one another and that is wonderful.  We share ideas and we all learn new things.
Don't stress - don't panic - quit being fearful.  We can do this!

I keep thinking how good the governments of the world would be if they just let us frugal divas work on their budgets!!!!!  It sure would be better.  We wouldn't be spending more than we have - we would sell off all the trivial crap to pay off debt, we would work hard at being self sufficient, we'd make a budget and stick to it.
A lot of unnecessary people would lose jobs, the rest would take pay cuts and live on the same insurance and means as they rest of the folks, and they'd be grounded for a long, long time!!!!!!  LOL

So gals, just know if you hit a rough spot or have a failure not all is lost.  There are no real mistakes, just new learning opportunities.  Just get up and start again.  Reset and go forward.  Circumstances in life change and many times we have to restart for various reasons.  We have this.
Dust off that tiara and put it on nice and straight and march forward in all your glory!  You deserve to.  Never lose faith!!
WE are the CHAMPIONS!!!!


********************
Prayer in today's paper:
O God, sometimes we just need to start over.  Help us to begin again.  Help us toward the good future you seek to give us.
Amen

27 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I often think of getting my hands on the government's budgets. They are in such a mess and just keep digging.

    You have mentioned several times about not living "in the best area" and it sort of worries me. Have you thought about selling and moving? Houses are going for a premium right now across most of the U.S. and perhaps you could throw some savings in with your house profit and feel safer somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, as someone getting a new home on property in another state for retirement within months, it's an almost overwhelming undertaking. And you never know what path things will take in the new place.

      When we moved into our current home, the tree lined street was quiet, the neighbors friendly, and the HOA made sure everything stayed nice. In the past several months, things have taken an alarming shift. Several long time neighbors and even the HOA board members sold up and moved out. In just the last 6 weeks 911 had to be called twice for violent vandalism. It's a shocking (and surprisingly sudden) change, and it seems at least in CA, it's happening everywhere. Not sure about other states.

      Delete
    2. Anne I have thought about it - but there are troubles every where. I say it isn't the best - but I guess that is because I see where so many live. It is a lower mid - middle class neighborhood - for sure a working man's neighborhood.
      MOST of my neighbors are friendly and neat. There are many rental homes now - and that is where a lot of problems occur.
      I will be here as long as possible - it is my home. I do love it.
      I can't imagine where I would move - although a niece and nephew would say southern IN to be by them!!! Maybe someday.

      Delete
    3. EM I can not even imagine how over whelming it is. The market is pretty good right now - but I see a bust coming soon. We just can't keep up these prices. They are making it unreachable for young new homeowners (at least around here).

      Neighborhoods DO change. This one has. It was all owners - most of who had watched the homes being built. As they die - the homes turn into rentals. When we moved in we were the 'kids' in the neighborhood. Now I am the 'oldster'. Been here longer than any of the neighbors!

      Delete
    4. I hear you, Cheryl. The "affordable" neighborhoods become beacons for "income property" and the changes can be profound. Having lived in 11 states in almost 60 years, though, moving seems to be a harder undertaking. At least for me. Though we will. And it will be a BIG change to a rustic, rural area on a wooded acre lot with snow in winter. --Elise

      Delete
    5. Wow 11 states? That is a lot of moves. I know lots of people do that - moving just isn't my thing.
      Rustic and rural does sound pretty cool. I am used to snow - but good luck with that!!!!

      Delete
  2. We are champions, Cheryl. We do well with the little we’ve been blessed with and we make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN sister!!!! Sure is something to be proud of too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you SO much, Cheryl. It's easy to worry about the future these days. We're inundated with doom and gloom.

    My sons, ages 34 and 28 seek reassurance that's it's going to be okay... they're going to be okay. I tell them they're smarter and stronger than they think. They have budgeting skills, know how to manage expectations, embrace flexibility, plan for expenses and be grateful for all they have. With that, faith, family and friends who love them, life is GOOD.

    Even us older folks need a reminder once in awhile, though! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Yes doom and gloom seems to be the story that sells and captivates. I have had enough. We have this.
      It sounds like you have raised very capable sons - speaks volumes for you and your hubby. Good job.
      Yes, with family, friends and faith I can face anything.
      We all need a reminder now and then. Sometimes I need to remind me as well!

      Delete
    2. Wish I could take all the credit. LOL! They were each in college during the recession, living at home and working, watching their peers rack up student loan debt. I was just the home economics teacher. --Elise

      Delete
  4. I am so grateful that I have some nieces/nephews who have their heads on straight when it comes to $$$. I can't say that for all of them. They range 24-47yo. The youngest is doing the best because he finished college, studied Dave Ramsey (aren't they all kinda the same), and refuses to incur debt. His Dad actually says he's overboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tons of nieces and nephews and some did great and others not so much. It takes all kinds in a family and that is OK - I love them all. I have a couple that are like my kids though, and they sure do worry about Auntie. Well, several worry - just never mentioned me living close by or with!!!!
      Overboard is OK - sounds like he has his head on straight.

      Delete
  5. Yes, they need to let the frugal divas do the budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiled big time when you suggested the frugal divas of the world manage the world's finances. You preach it, sista! I so agree! It is easy to get overwhelmed now. I keep reminding myself that I am only in control of me but I do have that. I can take care of me and my own. I can be kind and generous to others. I can set a good example. But I can't control others. You give such sound advice! I feel so blessed and one of the many reasons is that I'm part of your community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your statement - "I am only in control of me". That is so true and if more people would realize that - they would be better off. Sure would alleviate a lot of stress and panic.
      All we can do is our best and the rest will be whatever it will be.
      Thank you and we are so glad you are here.

      Delete
  7. I WISH MORE WOMEN FELT THIS WAY. To be the champion of your home. What a great way to look at it. Your attitude is so contagious. Just to be happy with what you have is such a blessing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more did as well. Who else is going do what we do?
      Yep - the old song "don't worry - be happy" is about the size of it. Just makes life easier to manage

      Delete
  8. I live in a fairly quiet city, very few murders, a bit of crime, but the street I live on we watch out for one another.

    Perhaps our highest spends are on insurances for our home, vehicle, and extra health insurance. Once a month we go out or order in (usually using a coupon or sale). Contentment with what we have gives us both happiness.

    We usually give the boys some cash for gifts, and if anything else I try to make something they will both love.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My closet neighbors and I watch out for one another as well. That is nice.
      Good for you. So much to be said for contentment. Just lets you breath and relax a little in life.
      Love this.
      Have a good one

      Delete
  9. Frugal gal here. And I say Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent, excellent post! Yes, we need to polish and straighten our tiaras and be a shining example. I know we would do a much better job spending the taxpayers' money. No more bridges to nowhere, no more foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mam. We need to lead by example. We really do have MUCH to share and teach!
      Amen to that sister!!!!!

      Delete
  11. Cheryl, I just came from reading posts on facebook that blame someone for every stinking little thing that is going wrong in their lives, like the price of steak and gas. Well, BooHoo says I. Time to adjust your budget and your attitude. Your post was a stark contrast and thank you for reminding us that we can be champions. We can accomplish so much if we quit whining and blaming and take responsibility for our own lifestyle. It is important to remember that the best things in life are free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your last sentence!!!! This is why I often try to give small reminders that we ARE OK. We will be OK. We are smart and know how to adapt.
      I see the same stuff and I am so over it. I am not a steak fan - but if I were, I wouldn't be buying it if finances were tight!
      PEOPLE frustrate me!!!!
      Thank you for being here and for being a level headed champion!

      Delete