There are so many little tips and tricks we can use to make life a little easier. We all like easier!!!
Hope you find one or two you can use.
- Hull fresh strawberries with a plastic straw. Push the straw up through the bottom of strawberry to the upper stem area and the stem and hull pop right out.
- Add a pinch of sugar to water when boiling corn on the cob. It tends to enhance the sweetness of the corn
- Add crushed garlic, chopped fresh herbs, lemon juice, horseradish, relish, ketchup, mustard, etc. to mayonnaise to jazz up the flavor, NO need to go buy something else.
- Make a cool low fat smoothie - fruit juice, yogurt, and fruit - blend with 4 or 5 ice cubes. YUM
- A quick appetizer - a block of cream cheese topped with hot pepper jelly OR any jelly and serve with crackers. Yummy and refreshing and EASY. Makes a super easy treat for unexpected guests
- Freeze grape juice, cranberry juice, or any flavor juice in ice cube trays to add to tea or lemonade. Freeze tea or Kool-aid to in trays to use in drinks to keep them from getting watered down. Add fruit, herbs or even fresh flowers to cubes for a festive addition to drinks.
- Fill peppers - large or small - with leftover spaghetti/sauce add cheese and grill until warmed through and melted
- Slice peaches, add some sugar and bit of 'fruit fresh' (or lemon juice) and place in individual size baggies and freeze. To eat - remove from freezer and eat when partially thawed. Such a refreshing treat
- Make a fruit pizza - a large sugar cookie - topped with cream cheese/sugar and top with any fruit you have. These are so good. You can make INDIVIDUAL FRUIT PIZZAS - a sugar cookie - a dollop of yogurt and sliced fruit! What a fun treat
- Make a root beer (or any flavor) float. Super cool and yummy treat
- Pudding shake - 1 1/2 C milk and 1/2 C premade pudding blended together makes for a smooth and creamy drink/dessert
- Before cubing an angel food cake for layering or dipping - freeze it and partially thaw - then cut. You get more cake and fewer crumbs
- Salads - chicken, tuna, ham, egg, veggie of all types, fruit, pasta...... There are so many wonderful salads and combinations to make that makes for a cool and filling meal
- Grill whatever you can! Veggies, meat, Ka-bobs, fruit. There is no limit to what you can grill. Peach halves or fresh pineapple slices are incredible when grilled - top with ice cream! I love veggies grilled and meat/fish just taste better.
Grilled stuffed peppers
Grilled zucchini steaks - Mmmmmmm
- Eat what is in season - saves money, eat healthy - you grow, farm markets, etc.
- Tortillas are your friend. One of my summer favorites are roll-ups!! Use meat, veggies, salad, fruit, etc. and roll it up in a tortilla. Meat and veggies are a great replacement for a plain old sandwich and less calories. These are easy to eat and refreshing.
- Make breakfast roll-ups with pancakes - spread with jelly or peanut butter or yogurt and add sliced fruit - roll and eat on the go.
Cool meals and desserts are always a must in my house. There are so many ideas to eat well and yummy and stay cool. I love any trick that helps me in the kitchen and makes my world a bit easier. Have fun with food and keep summer kitchen life simple.
Remember - a meal CAN be whatever fills you up!!!! It doesn't have to be many courses.
Do you have any special tricks or ideas to share?