Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Beans - A Wonderful Protein

 I know there are many who can't eat beans due to allergies, and that makes me sad.  Beans - legumes in general - are such a great protein source and they are so very frugal and versatile.
I love beans of all sorts. 
Beans can be eaten as a stand alone dish,  in soups, casseroles and stews, can be eaten with grains, can be turned into replacement items (bean burgers), used in salads and on and on.

Here is a list of various beans - I am sure it is not complete in any way!  These are what we most often see and keep on hand.  I think I have some of most of these!



BLACK BEANS (or turtle beans) - small dark colored.  Can be used in most ways - but popularized by South America.  Can be used to make vegan burgers!

BLACK EYED PEAS (Cowpeas) - Creamy white with a black eye.  Particularly popular in the southern states.  "Hoppin John' is a great dish.

CHICK PEAS (Garbanzo) A nut like flavor makes them a favorite of mid eastern dishes.  Great roasted and eaten as a snack.  Mixed with tomatoes - make it a fun southern dish.  Mashed and turned into a dip (hummus)

FAVA BEANS - looks like a lima bean on steroids!  Kind of nitty flavor - yet kind of meaty.  Excellent flavor

KIDNEY BEANS - Deep red beans used a lot in chili.  Can be used in anything.  Great when mixed with other types.

LENTILS - Unlike other beans these do not need presoaking before cooking.  Great substitute for meat meat in casseroles and soups and even burgers

LIMA BEANS - Flat broad beans in a variety of sizes.  Great by themselves and excellent in casseroles and rich soups.

PINK or PINTO BEANS  is a relative of kidney beans and can be eaten in many ways - good to make refried beans

SPLIT PEAS - available are available in green and yellow.  They have had their skins removed by a mechanical process.  They have a relatively short cooking time and don't need to presoak

WHITE BEANS  - often called great northern beans, navy beans and marrow beans.  Very mild flavor - used in may types of soups and even in baked beans

When purchasing dried beans - they can be kept in the pantry for a long time.  I like to keep in glass jars - but have many tucked away in deep pantry in buckets.  They can be cooked on the stove - which can take a while or they can be cooked in a slow cooker.  I have done that many times.
They older the beans get - it does take longer to cook.  Some say they never get completely softened - but I have used beans that were several years old and just cooked a little longer.  
I also figure - if I am hungry and all I have is beans - I don't think I would care if they weren't perfectly soft!!

Beans, beans the musical fruit.......  LOL!  We have all sang that little diddy!  Yes, they can create gas in many humans.  I always add baking soda to my soaking water - then rinse and add clean water for cooking.  However, I still add a bit of baking soda to the cooking water as well.  I know there are lots of ideas on how to rid the beans of gas.  If you have a special way - let us know!!!!!
Also I like to add about a tablespoon of oil to cooking beans - as it seems to keep them/the water from foaming.


Beans are a perfect food for preppers to keep on hand and for those of us who just want to be prepared for anything.  They are a huge source of protein and can take the place of meat.
I bet many of you don't realize how much protein they contain.  I didn't until I did a bit of research.

They contain way more protein (1 cup cooked) than 1 cup of cooked rice or 1 cup of cooked spaghetti or 1 baked potato.  Actually they contain more of all the basic vitamins and minerals than these other options for all aged groups.  So why not use beans instead??

They contain more protein per pound than so many meat items that we use.  The items that are basically higher are fish (especially tuna and halibut) and Swiss cheese!!  Beans contain more protein per pound than eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, beef, lamb, and even pork.
AND did I mention - they are CHEAP and FRUGAL!!!!!

If you can eat them - it is one item that should be kept in all pantries, especially those deep pantries for emergencies.  I know a common thought is - well, if we have no power - how are we supposed to cook?
There are ways - I have cooked many a pot of beans over a campfire while camping.  Many people can beans - that way you can really just open a jar and eat as is if necessary. 

So think about this frugal and highly nutritious  item to add to your preps.

"Beans, beans the musical fruit... the more you eat the more you TOOT!"  LOL!!!!!
 

20 comments:

  1. Beans are wonderful to keep in the pantry. We have made patties from several different kinds of beans. We are also fond of butter beans, which we have used to make "hamburgers". Any kind of beans are also good tossed on top of a salad. I make kidney bean salad regularly. Your little ditty reminds me of a scene from Blazing Saddles, where the cowboys are sitting around the campfire. ha!

    Since we can't work outside today, we are going to bundle up and go down to Menard's to pick up some wood so the Urban Farmer can attach the latest birdhouse to the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made burgers from different types of beans as well.
      I am a lima bean fan - I know it is a specialized taste!
      G loved red bean salad - I used to make it often.
      Yep - that movie was a funny one.

      It sure is a soggy one!

      Delete
  2. Wow, good tips! I'll be trying your baking soda and oil tip next time I cook some. I love beans! Could eat them everyday, sometimes I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love beans too - all kinds. I try to put them in all kinds of dishes. I add red beans or chili beans to taco meat. I use less meat and the flavor is great.
      Thanks

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of legumes too. I'm also an energy miser so I always cook my beans in a pressure cooker. Then I add the seasonings and let them simmer a bit to develop flavor. 4 cups of beans can be pressure cooked without soaking in 14 minutes at 11 pounds pressure, allowing the pot to cool without opening until pressure drops. If you've soaked the beans ahead of time, 9 or 10 minutes at 11 pounds pressure will cook them. You can also plant the beans that you've bought for cooking for bush green beans (romano works best); so much cheaper than from the seed store. Kidney beans are very rich in iron too. Do you ever make a three bean salad? Very popular at my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW that is quick. I still do not trust myself with a pressure cooker!!!! LOL
      I have heard you can plant them as well. You bet that is cheaper - especially if you buy those little packets of seeds.
      G loved kidney bean salad and three bean salad more than me. I haven't made in a while. I do prefer the 3 bean salad.

      Delete
  4. I keep all sorts of beans and lentils on hand. My favourites are chick peas which also make good humus. I chuck red lentils in most soups. I also bulk out meat dishes with beans to make the meat go further. I do also like tinned baked beans for a quick meal with a jacket potato and cheese it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever roasted the chickpeas? They get hard and crunchy - add a bit of salt and what a tasty and nutritious snack they make.
      Oh, I like tinned baked beans as well. Quick and easy and you can add bits and pieces to them to tang them up. Yum

      Delete
  5. We home can beans and they are the best we have ever eaten. They are so easy and you can even do several kinds in one canner load. We do the method where the beans are washed and then fill the jars one fourth full of beans and add hot water and salt. Into the canner they go and they come out perfectly cooked and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure sounds easy enough! I need to get myself into using the pressure canner and this sounds like a good starting project.
      Thanks

      Delete
  6. Love beans, they are so versatile but I am too lazy to cook the dried one. Tin beans here are quite cheap, often $1 a tin, so I always have a good stack of different ones on hand. I always put them in a casserole or vegetable curry, and often make veggie burgers.
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those beans are not only good but good for you as well. It doesn't matter how you get them - they are just wonderful to have on hand. I love that you add them to things as well.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I do love me some beans. In fact I already have a big pot of pinto and kidney beans along with a pan of cornbread on next week's menu. Yum! Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum!!! That sounds so good. I haven't made just a pot of beans in a long while. Mmmmmm - enjoy!!!!

      Delete
  8. The more you TOOT the better you feel,
    so let’s have beans for every meal!! 😂😂
    I cook pinto beans at least once a week and in
    The crockpot! Pintos, link sausage & cornbread ( from scratch, of course).
    Thanks for your great posts! I’m always scrolling back to read something!
    Pat/Central Texas ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat. I think we all learned the song when we were kids!!
      Good for you - love beans of all sorts and of course cornbread!
      Glad to have you here!!!

      Delete
  9. I grew up eating great northern beans and kielbasa. So much more flavorful than ham! And of course, cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUM. I love smoked sausage with beans. I am getting hungry for beans!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Try it with the kielbasa (polish sausage). It has so much more flavor than the smoked!

    ReplyDelete