Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Cool Things we Should Know

 Today I am going to post some charts for the kitchen.  These are things we all need to know.  It just may save a little time, effort and money.

                                                   Just in case you need to substitute

                                   I have always measured with cups, but I know many use ounces

We Americans do cups and ounces - most other countries are metric.  It is nice to be able to convert recipes.

                                                             Using what you have

                                                   Out of eggs - no worries for baking

                                                        Great replacements


I hope these help someone.
We all run out of things, and often figure that out when in the middle of a recipe!  YIKES.  No need to run out to the store for one ingredient.  Just substitute. 
There are so many things that we can do in a pinch.  
Being a  little creative is good and saves your sanity at times!!!!



16 comments:

  1. Thank you! I always have trouble trying to convert our measures to metric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I see so many recipes from other countries I'd like to try.

      Delete
  2. Love conversion charts like these! I will figure out a way to print them for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I just pinned them to Pinterest on my Kitchen Tips board and can print them from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like American recipes using cups. Ours are all weighed in metric now though my old recipes are pounds and ounces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cups - but many chef's use pounds and ounces and if you follow their recipes you need to weigh. I sometimes see a recipe from other countries I want to try and I have a hard time converting.

      Delete
  5. Always good to have at hand! I use the buttermilk substitution all the time. My grocer carries it regularly in March for those of us who make soda bread, but other times it's sometimes hard to come by. And, I'd not see the sugar-to-honey substitution before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Yes, I do the buttermilk thing a lot. I hadn't seen that sugar/honey chart till the other day. I thought that was pretty neat.

      Delete
  6. I too use the buttermilk substitution. SO many of my recipe's are from Sweden so I earned early how to convert. But this is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad it might come in handy. It is always something to have on hand JUST in case!

      Delete
  7. I was a teenager when Canada went metric so I tend to use cups and teaspoons/tablespoons rather than the metric option. I have used applesauce in place of eggs before but had no idea those other items could be used as well.

    Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be well versed in both options!
      So many things we can do when we have a need.

      Delete
  8. I grew up with the metric system and after almost 20 years in the US, still can't wrap my head around pints, quarts, ounces etc. I only know what a gallon is...lol. I've always known about the self raising flour substitution, because I grew up using SR flour. In fact, we used very little AP flour (or cake flour as we call it) in my country.

    These are very helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is easy - but I grew up with cups and ounces. I think metric is hard. Funny how we get used to things.

      It is amazing how many types of flour there are. We have so many options to choose from.

      Delete