Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Success in a Day

 Yay, yesterday was finally successful on many fronts.
I got the garden tilled up and I worked on a bunch of large pots for container gardening.  Several had split and broken - so I whittled out the bad ones and repurposed all the dirt to other pots.  
I was totally whipped when I got all done - and filthy!!!!  It was the hottest day so far this year and a tad bit humid.  That is OK as the weather is about to cool some!
          The garden and a couple of long planters I will use for onions or something else shallow.

Yep, I tilled in flip-flops (I usually do it barefoot) - but have NO flip-flops on in the pic!  That is DIRT stuck to my feet from sweat and muck.  My nails looked like a farmer.  Welp, a little (lot) of scrubbin' and I am back to new again!  LOL
The reasoning for barefoot and flip-slops is - when I was little, one of my fondest summer memories was following Daddy as he plowed the garden.  I always walked in the dirt behind him and was always barefoot.  There is something about it that takes me back to childhood and Daddy.  I love the feel of the dirt between my toes!  Not smart - I realize, but it is how I have done things for years.
It is kind of like the smell of fresh mown grass - that reminds me of grade school.  Sitting in class with the windows open and the gardener would be mowing and that smell just wafted right through the windows!  I still think of that when I smell that smell.

The Blazer is done and the gas intake thing is fixed!!  It will be a joy to pump gas now and it won't take me forever to do it.  I am so excited. (It sure doesn't take anything fancy to please me!!)
It cost about $35 in parts and he fixed the expensive thingy himself - blew and washed it out.  Had he replaced it - just the part would have cost almost $200 (quoted from parts place).  Had I had it done at the shop - I would have been looking at $500 plus.
One more thing off the to do list.
                                               The 'shade tree mechanic' at work.

Flowers are popping.  You who have peonies, know what happens when they bloom and we get a storm.  They all fall over.  Mine are so laden with blooms at the moment that they are doing that on their own.  I have never had such blooms.  Maybe this is a good sign for growing things this year!
Those green spots are where the flowers have just fallen over from weight.  My garden is just to the right of these and it sure smelled good while tilling!!!!
I have a couple very old climbing roses that have gone back wild - but I love them.  They just seem simple and old fashioned.  Full of buds too.
                           First bloom on the clematis vine for the year.  Lots of buds.
                                      Blackie trying to stay cool on a hot summer day.

Momma and Fluff sitting on their rugs on the greenhouse deck catching the breeze.  It has to be hot with all that fir.  Later in the day Fluff went out and was laying in the shade  under the peony plants!  Smart kitty.

So the day ended nicely.  I laid across the bed after a shower and eating a bite and BOOM I was out like a light.  Only slept about a half hour - but I went out fast.

Today is another new day - and hoping to get some more things done.  I have such a list and so much to do - at least I am making some headway!
It has started raining - so my work will be inside today.  Temps are supposed to cool a bit after the rain.

It seems I have let so much go the past 2 years - just didn't have the gumption to do much.  Well, it is time to get things fixed and back in order.  It HAS to be done.
Off and at it again.

Have a wonderful, blessed and productive day.


24 comments:

  1. Our peony blooms are just getting ready to open - still having nights in the 30's. We started putting tomato cages around our peonies a few years ago to keep the heavy flowers from falling over. We have two plants about 4 feet apart so it works great. I love peonies and only wish they were longer lasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I have such a big row - need to figure something to do like that.
      I love them too. My favorite old time flower and scent.

      Delete
  2. Seeing the picture of your peonies takes me back, too. When I had the house in Chicago, I had peonies along our fence. The bulbs were from my great grandfather's plants. Sadly, they were left behind when I moved to the townhouse. Thank you for stirring the good memory of my great grandfather. Monday and Tuesday were spent sanding and staining my deck furniture. Yesterday, in my rush to finish before the rain started, I laid my forearm up against a still-wet table leg. A nice swath of Minwax two-in-one, cherry stain with polyurethane, covered much of my arm. Wet wipes and hand sanitizer finally got it off. Enjoy one more day of this hot stuff. Thursday and Friday we'll be wearing our winter jackets again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you got a moment of memories. Isn't it funny what takes us back and stirs our memories?
      I bet that took a while to clean off your skin! I bet the furniture will be lovely when done.
      It has cooled some today with rain - looks like a couple nights in 50's and maybe upper 40's! We sure do roller coaster.

      Delete
  3. I almost always garden in flip-flops. My theory is I can rinse them off with the garden hose before I go inside and dry them off while I sit and appreciate the hard work I put in. And I don't want to get my sneakers and good sandals that dirty.

    I had a jackmanii clematis similar to yours at the old house. I wish I'd brought a piece of it with me here. The peonies and roses are just beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I am in good company. I don't like shoes - period. I only wear them when I have to - so it is either barefoot or flip-flops for me.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love the feet and hands picture. I always come in super filthy from outside and I love every minute of it. Hub's some time asks me is I had to roll in the dirt? Why yes I did and it was great. You are inspiring me to get things done, although there is way to much to do here. But one day at a time my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I roll in it sometimes! I think we just connect to the earth when barefoot.
      Always too much to do. One bite at a time!

      Delete
  5. You are so blessed. Kitties, clematis, peonies, old-fashioned roses!! and your Blazer fixed by a friend. I know we don't always feel blessed, but we sure are. Looking forward to hearing about your plants as they grow and produce. God bless those dear kitties! and you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I am glad you said that! We all need to hear it more often and realize it. Yes indeed, I am blessed.
      Thank you so much.

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome, Cheryl; you encourage your readers all the time. Glad I could do you a golden ;)
      Hugs!

      Delete
  6. I know people always say that playing in the dirt is healing and it really is. Look up 'grounding' when you get a chance. I have a suspicion that it is why children are so healthy. I am enjoying your Spring posts. I love old roses. Their scent is intoxicating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe in grounding. I truly believe there is something to it.
      Thank you. I agree the older roses smell so wonderful.

      Delete
  7. The best part of your post was the implication that you are ready to move ahead with your life. You have grieved for your husband (and a part of you always will), but there comes a time to cherish the memories and to move forward. I have admired the way you have handled your loss. You seem to be moving past it, if you aren't already there. It's wonderful that you have family, friends and good neighbors to help you on your journey.
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE to move ahead - no other choice really. If God chooses to give me another day - I need to use it wisely.
      I will never get past the loss - but I do have to keep going forward. I can't let my home fall apart and I need to keep plugging away.
      I am taking baby steps - but steps none the less!
      Thanks

      Delete
  8. You have had a splendid day! Car is repaired, the tiller is running, you got some gardening done, all in all, an excellent day! I used to use wire supports when I had a lot of peonies. They still drooped some with heavy rain but not as bad.

    None of know how we will handle losing a loved one. You have a strong faith and positive attitude. Your statement "if God gives e another day, I need to use it wisely" is golden. It would be an affront to God and to Glen if you wallowed in your sorrow and didn't take care of yourself and your home. I grieved for my mother for many years but treasure the memories and things I learned from her. You and I are blessed...we have sweet memories of our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a splendid day.
      Exactly, I have to honor God, but my sweet Glen as well. He would be disappointed if I just let everything go and didn't get up and get with it.
      There is no right or wrong way to grieve - just your way. We all do what we have to do.
      Blessed indeed.

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, I'm disappointed in you. With all the tips you give on your blog I'm surprised you didn't know to dig your nails into a bar of soap to prevent dirt from getting in there. I'm kidding of course but it would've made cleaning your nails a lot easier. Glad your blazer is fixer. Your neighbor is a gem. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know that tip - and I just can't do it. Something about that soap under my nails that drives me crazy. Just too solid I guess.
      I do have a gem of a neighbor. Thanks

      Delete
  10. Yeah garden is in and I bet your tired. Your blazer is even fixed!
    Your Peonies are even blooming..so jealous. Have a great day and rest well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the garden is tilled - NOT in yet. Working on that for the next few days. Taking my time doing that part!
      Thanks.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete