Tuesday, May 25, 2021

No Good Deed......

 I do believe this to be true (not for me) this week.  My neighbor is trying to help me with my Blazer doing some of the smaller (LOL) projects that have needed done.  He is a good guy - but I know why he is doing so much.  He feels he is helping out his buddy Glen.  Well truth is he is helping buddy Glen's wife.  He would  have done anything for Glen and vice versa.  They were true buds - through and through.

Well for him - no good deed goes unpunished  Poor guy.  He started working on the flow tube on the gas tank (where the fuel flows to tank).  It hasn't been accepting gas well - it keeps causing the pump to turn off.  Has to do with gas flow and air venting.  Well it wasn't what he thought - then he found out what it probably is - and it is in a weird angle to get to and according to him it has Martian connectors!!!!  Never seen anything like it.
Nothing as easy as first thought.


Well before he started that I went and picked up my little tiller from my brother.  He has used it a ton this spring.  After working on flowers and bark a bit - I decided later in day to till.
The whole dang thing came apart with one tug!!!!!  LOL  Trust me I am not that strong.
Well, bless his heart - the neighbor  stopped and worked on that.  Did several things on it.  (It is old and actually came from the trash many years ago).  It got to running - then I had a problem with vine type weeds wrapping the tines and it stopped.  SIGH!!!!
By then it was just too hot to continue.  Will try again Tuesday.
Do I really want a garden??????  
Yeah - but the above picture may hold true for next year!!!!!!!  LOL

So Tuesday he goes to pick up part for Blazer (they didn't have it Monday), then more work.  He mentioned he would look at tiller again.
It sure was one of those days.  At least he has my car in his back yard under his huge shade tree - my drive is cement and in full sun.  I can't even imagine how hot that would have been.

I pay for parts and I always make sure he is paid for his labor (if he will take anything).  I have given him gift cards for groceries and eating out over time as well.
I don't want to take advantage - but I think he just feels obligated.

So it has been one of those days.  I did get many flower pots planted and more bark down.  It got to almost 90* and it was pretty darn warm!
A cool shower sure felt good.
So hopefully today turns out better!

Cherish your friends!  They really can be a Godsend in so many ways.
I thank God everyday for my family and friends!

Have a great day!!!!!

20 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about your friend. I can hardly accept favors and feel I have to return them before they have drawn breath. Perhaps you could also bake him some goodies. Most men love baked goods.

    I'm laughing at your description of your car under his tree. My husband has always called guys working on their cars at home "shade tree mechanics." I like that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bake for him and his son now and then - they do appreciate that.
      I have not asked him to help (not in my nature), he just volunteers. He said he likes working on things and keeping mind and body active instead sitting and just watching YouTube.

      Good term "shade tree mechanics". Sure beats being out in the scalding sun!

      Delete
  2. It has been hawt! Good thing your neighbor has a big shade tree to work on your Blazer. You are blessed that he was a good friend to your sweet hubby and how a friend to you. Our tiller won't start so I put a query out on NextDoor. Hopefully can find someone to work on it.

    We have green beans up and the peas are blooming like crazy. They don't seem to mind the heat and supposedly this is the last really hot day for a while. I have been picking strawberries and the Urban Farmer made a rhubarb custard cake yesterday. I cut up some strawberries for the top of it. It was excellent but needed more rhubarb. I print out recipes from Pinterest and then we add notes to the recipe for the next time. Love the funny! There are times when we think about cutting back on the gardening, but then what we do with our time?

    Hope today is much better for you, that your Blazer is repaired and the tiller too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mam it is hawt!!! He also has a garage that could have been used. You can't drive a car in mine - but his if better.
      I hope you get your tiller fixed.
      Mine worked wonderfully this morning!!!!!

      Yes, it is supposed to get much nicer next week and over the weekend, that will be lovely.
      Thanks for a reminder - I have rhubarb and he loves rhubarb - so maybe I will bake him something this weekend!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I think we are living the same life as you right now! If it can go wrong it will go wrong and at the worst possible moment! I hope things turn around at your house and for your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today turned out to be a good day all the way around.
      Hope yours improves!

      Delete
  4. It is wonderful you have a good neighbour and friend nearby to help. I'm sure he appreciates the gift cards even if he won't take cash for his work.

    I haven't yet started planting, it's still cool and rainy and possible tonight and tomorrow. Thursday, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is wonderful - he has really helped this old chick a lot.
      I got tilled - nothing planted yet - but it will be by the weekend.
      Hope you get yours in.

      Delete
  5. You are blessed to have a good neighbor. I loved your picture, older and crankier. I can do that. Bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed - such a good friend.
      Yep - I think I get older and crankier everyday!
      Thank you dear.

      Delete
  6. Yep I can relate to older and crankier. As I age I am a weird combination of being less tolerant about some things but letting other things that I might have once thought important just wash over me now.
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. It is amazing how we change as we get older.

      Delete
  7. Older and crankier, LOL! I'm working on not being so cranky, but it's one easy crop to grow! Not much I can do about the "older" part ;). I'm getting a kick out of the turkey waddle my upper arms have acquired.
    I'm glad you'll have cooler temps to plant your garden in. You can't buy friends like yours.
    Take good care~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, an easy crop to grow. I'll take older considering the alternative.
      The neck thing is my aggravation. I hate it!
      Cooler will be nice.

      Delete
  8. Yes, those friends are a God-send. My hubs had a couple of those -- one who has repeatedly told me I'm part of their family now and I won't be able to get rid of him if I try. I truly value my time spent with them and helped them nail the disks to hold their Tyvek barrier up when they were building their house, and I regularly contribute when we have get-togethers. Another one continues to offer up mid-morning beverages at the dock on the weekend, and will walk half the dock to deliver one to me. When I make a trek to the big-box liquor store, I'll replenish his favorite Scotch, vodka, or rum that he uses in his "docktails". And a third is a self-taught chef who loved and misses his best buddy, and he has continued to include me in his menu tastings. He and his wife became part of my Covid "pod" and we traded dinners at each others' houses one day every week or two throughout the pandemic. I'll let him cook for me any day!!! Part of it, I think, is the grieving process that friends go through, and it's a way to honor their memory. We just have to be open to receive their gifts and share in their processes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you may be right about the grieving process. He and Glen were friends from being little boys - so lifelong friends.
      It is nice to have someone who really just wants to help out - just because.
      Sounds like you have been blessed as well.

      Delete
  9. I had a friend who helped me lots. Now, he is giving me lumber. We live far from each other now, so nothing is hands on at my house anymore. He saved my car many times and installed a stove. Well, he had to cut out the counter so it would fit, a standalone stove, where I had a dropin stove top and oven. Big job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have friends like that. I am so glad you have someone that can help you. It is a bit overwhelming being alone - just some things we can't do.
      God send us angels to help!

      Delete
  10. Working on your car is so nice Cheryl. I know he appreciates your gifts. I'm glad you have them. We just ordered the parts this morning for the truck from Amazon. It's so hard to find parts you need so we usually order over the internet.
    So when I get too old to garden I've decided I'm going to invest in what my older neighbor has. It's a raised bed where you don't have to bend at all. It's exactly her size. They built it for her for Mother's Day. It's just perfect no tilling and we still can garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we haven't had a hard time with parts - there are so many parts places around here.
      A nice raised garden like that would be wonderful. Garden and no bending - how nice!

      Delete