Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Mid week Tip or Two

 Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions for future posts.  I wrote them all down and have a few things to research - but I am glad to.  I think it will be fun and I love everyone chimed in!  Thanks.


USING COFFEE FILTERS
I have a ton of coffee filters left from when I used to make coffee for Glen.  I would get them at the dollar stores or at Kroger for next to nothing.  Well I figured I needed to come up with some uses.
The extras I keep back in the pantry - but the open ones I put in a berry basket.  I mean, square items seem to fit spaces better!  I keep that little container in the kitchen cabinet.

I use them to thaw a piece or 2 of meat (I place the meat on it, so juices are absorbed)
They are great to use for soaking grease from fried foods
I often use them for a little snack or treat instead of dirtying a dish.  They are great for popcorn!
I use them as splatter guards in the microwave.
I have even used them to strain liquids and grease to get particulates out.  
They are biodegradable and compost well.  I get done and just scrunch it up in a little ball and throw in with my compostable items.
I have seen people use them as stabilizers when doing embroidery or hand quilting.  Dampen them and they will pull right off when done!!!
They sure are cheaper than paper towels, they compost, and it uses up something I no longer had use for.


Call my an idgit, call me crazy, call me slow - but I learned something the other day about the way I have done something my entire life!!!!!
I love sliced tomatoes - FRESH sliced tomatoes.  They are so juicy and tasty and MESSY.  I saw a story about how I was cutting them 'wrong'!  I bet others do it the same way.
I have always cut the stem (core piece) out and then sliced horizontally (nice rounds).  Well, you guessed it - they said you should slice vertically!!!!!  WHAT???  I tried it and I will be dog dang nabbed if it didn't make less mess.
If you slice them vertically - you do not open as many membranes inside - therefore you don't lose as much juice or seeds.  Much less mess - still the same wonderful tasting tomato!!
I am learning every day!!!!!


Remember the other week I got all those hoagie buns for FREE?  I used one to make a subway like sammie and I used one for a smoked sausage dog.
They are kind of dry and very dense.  Kind of meh!!!!  Well, I wasn't going to throw them out - so I needed to come up with other ideas.  I did freeze most for later.
They are solid (not cut) - so I will slice in half lengthwise and make pizza from them!  I love French bread pizza and one of these will be perfect.
I can cut in half and toast - add butter and PBJ for a snack or melted cheese or a little garlic powder for garlic bread.
I can cut in half lengthwise - then cut each half into thirds or halves and butter and add garlic and bake for bread sticks.
I cut rounds and make French toast.
Come the holidays I will most likely use some for dressing.  I love bread that has a crust for dressing/stuffing.  If you have never tried it - do!  It just gives a hearty taste to the dressing and it doesn't get all smooshy.  I won't be making a lot of dressing since it is just me - but when I do - I will put all leftovers in a muffin tins and freeze in individual servings for later.
Love me some homemade dressing!

There you go - my tips for today.  Hope these give someone some new ideas.
Have a great  Wednesday!!!  Talk to you tomorrow.


21 comments:

  1. I put used coffee filters in the bottom of smaller plant pots, they stop the soil falling out and keeps the water in a bit longer, without the pkant getting waterlogged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that as well. I forgot about that!!!!! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  2. Good ideas, Cheryl. Thank you. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great tips for using coffee filters. I have a huge box of them and only use one a day. I also love the idea of using buns for dressing. I often get free bread and buns at the food bank where I volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had an elderly neighbor years ago who volunteered at the Food Bank each week (he was in his 90s!!). When his wife had a stroke, he'd bring me a delivery and I'd cook for them and my growing family. Slightly stale bread makes the best dressing! It's also great to bulk up ground beef, pork or turkey in stuffed peppers, which they loved.

      Delete
    2. It does make great dressing. Years ago my FIL asked what I did special to my dressing and that was it. He loved it.
      It is a great way to use free bread. EM is right, it would be a great ground meat extender as well.

      Delete
  4. We made wipes with coffee filters when we couldn’t get Lysol or Clorox wipes last year.

    I think the sub rolls would make great garlic bread too. I like the idea of little pizzas too.

    Thank you for the tip on the tomatoes. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would make for some sturdy wipes - great thinking!

      Delete
  5. I've found that sherbet containers are the perfect size for coffee filters. Great if you need to transport when camping and the container seals, keeping them fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - that would be a great way to transport them. Good thinking.

      Delete
  6. I am definitely trying the tomato tip. I get tired of tomato dripping out of my sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making dressing from the bread sounds wonderful! I also recently discovered that hamburger and hoagie buns make great French toast, the staler the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what great things one can do with something stale!!! That is fantastic

      Delete
  8. When I have a big lot of buns that are so-so I make a big old pan of bread pudding. Walla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum - I haven't had bread pudding in ages. My niece used to make one for get togethers that was so ooey gooey and had pecans! It was wonderful!
      Thanks for the reminder of bread pudding!

      Delete
  9. Excellent tips! Good uses for coffee filters. Some put one in the bottom of a pot when planting, just like Poppypatchwork does. Cutting tomatoes the other direction is genius. We are so used to doing it the old way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have used in flower pots too and it sure does work!
      Crazy - huh? All these years and never knew that!

      Delete
  10. I am with you on the homemade stuffing, I love the stuff! I don't even care about the turkey, just give me a plate of stuffing and I'm good. I do that with hoagie rolls too, cut in half and make individual homemade pizzas or garlic bread. Gotta try that tomato trick. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like home made dressing. I used to not eat it when I was younger - but now I love it.
      Thanks

      Delete