Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Learning by Doing

 Howdy and happy Tuesday to all.  It is a somewhat warm morning here - with rain coming soon.  Yesterday was absolutely perfect.  It looks like we may be cooling off again after today - but nothing bad.  I looked out back this morning and I have ONE daffodil blooming!!!  Many more to come this week.  I love it.

Let's talk about our learning process on our journey to frugality.  There are many just starting this process, and it most definitely is a process or a journey.   There are many ups and downs.
I noticed an article on the computer the other day I just had to read. It said more and more young people are getting into "duping" to save money at the grocery.  Well, call me curious, as I had never heard that term before.
It is buying and using off brands and stores brands instead of name brands.  Huh, who knew it had a name??  I have been doing this for years - and just called it smart shopping!  Whatever you want to call it, it is a good idea to at least try off brands.  You may like them, you may not - but it doesn't hurt to try.  It CAN save money.
I give these young people kudos, as they are trying to figure out money saving ways themselves.
You have to start somewhere.   Learn by trying things.  You may have a positive outcome or you may not.  Trust me we have all had successes and failures.
Read, listen, and try and hopefully learn.  
Do NOT let the disappointments and trials break you!!!!  Let it MAKE you!!!  Aid someone, somewhere in life with some wisdom that helps them in a positive way.  Kind of like a little legacy that we will be leaving here!

Learn basic skills - that is so very important.  Cooking from scratch, basic yard work, growing something that can go into your families' bellies (anything), basic home repairs, car maintenance, etc.
Now I am not saying you need to be able to change out a motor or chop down a tree.  Nor re-wire the house or grow an acre of food.  IF you know how - heck - good for you!!!!!
Basic skills = saving money.
I love a do-it-yourself attitude, and I have learned how to do many things that are not considered things a "woman" might do - but you know you do what you have to at points in life.  Sure, I will pay for advanced skills and things just above my skillset - but I do what I can.  We all can.

No one person is perfect and no one person teaches in a perfect way.  It takes a 'village' of reasonably caring people who have been there and done that!  I just hope we can all impart some positive ideas to others. We all do our best.
You will find many people (many) who tell you that what you are doing is crazy.  They will think you should always do things their way.  Most of us here, have been called nuts a few times - trust me.  
They just don't seem to get that you are trying to have a better life, save a little, get out of debt, and provide for your family in a way that is just being a steward of all you have.  

They figure if debt gets too big - file bankruptcy.  If you want something - get it and worry about paying later (or not).  They seem to invoke the idea of just 'flying' through life without a care.
Well, DON'T!!  You will never get ahead.

It does take diligence, hard work, learning, doing, reading, listening, trying and most of all it takes determination!!!
If you are in search of a better life - you can have it.  Just work for it.
It isn't going to just fall in your lap - but never ever give up.

We are here as a community to help.  There are lots of great blogs and vlogs out there, that can help.  Most of us in this type of community have been through and tried all kinds of things.  
The cool thing is - WE are STILL learning too!!!
You are never too old to learn new ways and ideas.  

For most everyone the journey is continual and never ending.  It does become a habit (a good habit), and it really is FUN to see the successes!
Go for it and have a good life for you and your family.

Have a great day all.  
 

28 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if people even *want* to "get ahead". Maybe they don't care? Big Brother will take care of them? Must admit I no longer grade myself by the neighbors or "the Joneses". But falling into debt for ordinary daily expenses would be (for me) quite shameful.

    I enjoy reading frugality blogs and often pick up wonderful ideas that are worth at least trying out to see if they work in my life. :) Cheryl, your food pictures are inspiring and make me happy. I'm not alone in being able to make a full meal out of bits and bobs of leftovers.

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder sometimes too Mary. I see so many who just live life with no concerns whatsoever and shake my head.
      I guess it was instilled in us to want more and get ahead.
      I think we can all still learn new things. There is always that post where I say "why didn't I think of that?"
      Thanks - I love using it all up too - it is fun and just plain tasty!

      Delete
    2. I totally agree. I was brought up to be responsible and not depend on others or handouts. I find it frustrating that many others feel no responsibility and yet get hand outs and seem to make out. I feel like a fool that I saved, planned and did without. Now government paying off student loans ( I based my education on what I could afford and paid loans off)… now encouraging credit card debt by decreasing late charges…..what happened to…don’t buy if you can’t afford. Not liking this world we live in anymore and so many entitled people…..and this sector is growing with each generation

      Delete
    3. I have to agree on many of those things. I was married, worked and went to college and paid it all myself. I had BIG debt at one time and managed to pay it all off. Swore never again.
      I do not like the entitled attitudes of today either.
      Times have sure changed a lot. I just hope some reading here, understand and learn how to do better.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely hate that DUPE word! Why in the world does everything have to be the same as the best anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I had never heard it until I read the story, at least not in their meaning. Not all is the same on this earth at all. I use whatever I like and what may be cheaper too.
      I always called it smart shopping!

      Delete
  3. The biggest thing I like about the internet is the knowledge that is at our fingertips to find out how to do something we want/need to do. I think it's good to learn these things for yourself. Builds character my Dad used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure has opened up the world, hasn't it? There isn't anything that you can't find out there. It is a blessing and sometimes a time stealing curse!! LOL

      Delete
  4. I think learning new skills is so important when it comes to saving money and living within your means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! I hope we can reach one or two (or more) that are just starting out or that are just learning. My daddy used to always ask "did you learn anything new today?". I still think of that anytime I learn something new!

      Delete
  5. Cheryl, I had to giggle at this "new" thing about trying off brands :) Who knew it had a name? hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right????? LOL - I laughed after I read it. Hey whatever works I guess.

      Delete
  6. I love trying new things, I rarely master any, but I love having a go.
    Last week my daughter and I went to a local fundraiser where you purchased a paint by numbers canvas and spent the evening painting, drinking wine, eating yummy finger food and listening to some lovely live music. It was a great night for a great cause, and I learnt that I am a lousy artist.
    Seriously though, you are right in the value of basic skills. It is a pity basic real life skills aren’t taught in school anymore. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too - probably master of none - but give it a go.
      Sounds like a lovely evening. I would enjoy that as well. LOL- well, you gave it a shot. It couldn't have been that bad - with paint by numbers!!
      I wish all those basics were taught too. It sure is needed more than ever.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes the satisfaction of learning something new or a job well done is a goal on itself, even if no money is involved at all.Gives me pleasure to recycle and push my brain to try new things .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It is fun isn't it? It sounds so cliche' but it is indeed fun to learn new things.

      Delete
  8. I love learning a new skill, especially if it leads to more enjoyment of life.

    Everything that is old comes around once again as something new. Our youngest son is lucky enough to have "yellow stickered reduced items", and has been purchasing them to stretch his menus. He is also planting and processing lots of his food.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for your son! Sounds like you did a good job teaching as well. Sometimes our examples are all that is needed.
      I think that is great.
      Learning is just fun!

      Delete
  9. Good stuff in today's post! It's never too late to learn something. YouTube is full of all kinds of tutorials. My 89 year old sister-in-law learned something new from her pastor regarding her spiritual life and she was excited. If anyone shops at Costco, that company pays the manufacturers to produce a product for them and make it even better with the Kirkland name on it. For the most part I have been pleased with "duping." I still say that no student should graduate from high school with passing a basic life proficiency test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No, it is never too late to learn. Your SIL shows that! That is wonderful. I think I learn something new most days - maybe not something I can use - but info.
      I have always used store brands without a problem. I never knew there was a name for it though! Leave it to the youngsters to make it a fancy name!
      Yes certain skills should be taught in schools - that would be so useful in life.

      Delete
  10. There is one thing I'd like to tell the young people who I hope, are reading this blog. Those of us here, who are frugal, and are mostly senior citizens, don't have to choose whether we'll eat our next meal or buy our medications, and that it priceless at any age. Cindy/WV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Because of the decisions we made earlier and the choices we have made in life - we are all in pretty decent shape. Very important point! Thanks.
      Priceless it is.

      Delete
  11. When I learn something new, I feel a little zing! My father or mother taught us something new every day. They did things and we watched since we did not have TV to entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is important to learn something, even at our ages. It keeps us sharp and new things may just make a difference.

      Delete
  12. My motto has always been "stay green and growing". It has taken me to places and things I couldn't even have begun to imagine, whether it was being frugal, fixing things, crafting and sewing, knitting. So many things to enjoy instead of being apathetic about our circumstance. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! If we are learning we are growing. Just gaining knowledge of any sort - helps us stay 'alive' and 'aware'. In this day and age - knowledge is at our fingertips - why not take advantage? Hoping we can all grow each day!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad to hear about this new "trent" with younger people. I heard about it on one of the national news networks, too. So, it IS gaining traction. If only it would resonate in some of those communitites where it is needed most ... don't get me started. I am thankful that I was raised in a family where we worked for what we needed and bought what we could, while staying in budget. My mom used to tell a story about a challenge she and my dad had one year, involving back-to-school shopping. He gave her $100 and bet her she could not outfit 3 children for back-to-school clothes. Not only did she do it, but we had enough leftover to stop for ice cream cones on our way home. And she had the receipts to prove it. And with store-brand food, it can help the budget trememdously if it's something that you like. We have a family corn casserole receip that actually tastes BETTER with store-brand creamed corn vs. name brand. And, really, if you're making a pot of chili, does it really matter if you have uniform kidney beans??? But, I have to admit, there are a few things on my grocery list where brand name counts. We gotta do what we gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to see younger people finally getting it a little too. At least the have started making a few better choices. Something a lot of people need to do!
      I understand your meaning - I get it.
      It is amazing what can be accomplished with true determination and grit. My mom was pretty amazing too.
      I use a lot of store brand goods. Some things just do not matter. I agree - there are a couple things I do like brand on - but not many at all.
      Yep, gotta do what works for us!

      Delete