Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Streeeeetch It!!!

 Happy Tuesday to all.  Yesterday was the last full day of winter - and we had the coldest temps in 30 days and snow flurries!  Geesh.  Today is supposed to get a little warmer but be windy.  Our nights are pretty darn cold for a few days. 
So, today (at some point) it will be officially Spring!!!!! Happy spring to all.  I know everyone is not feeling it yet, still lots of cold and snow to be had in some areas.  IT IS COMING!!!!!

Today I want to talk a little bit about stretching out our shopping visits.  Many of us here, don't shop every week or even every other week at times.  Some go all month without shopping.  But you gals (or guys) that are new to this - need to try a few things to stretch the shop times out and try new ways of using it up - and you can shop less often as well!  Seriously!  A bonus is that it saves money too.

I talk a lot about using all your leftovers.  You can use them as lunch the day after (instead of going out), you can even use little bits of food as a snack.  Re-invent the food into new things.  Leftover veggies and meat can go in soup or stir fry or fried rice, etc.  Getting creative really helps the budget.
Remember the old saying - Waste not, want not!!!!   VERY TRUE

Now here is another idea.
I know some people go to the store every day - STOP THAT!  If you do that, you have to stop - you are so very much overspending.  Buy enough for a week - use it all, before you go back.

Many shop every week.  For the sake of keeping things easy - let's say every 7 days.  If this is how you shop - you go to the store basically 52 times a year.  Now here is the challenge.  Stretch that to every 10 days!  Doesn't sound like much - but that is only 36 1/2 trips a year!  Saving you 16 visits!!!!!
For the sake of ease again, let us say you spend $100 each visit - that is $1,600 saved.

Now once you get the hang of that - stretch it to every 14 days.  That is only 26 visits.  That is saving $2,600 a year.
You see where this is going?  Learning ways to shop less often and to use every bit of food cooked and being creative - can save you not only time - but money!

This money can be used to pay off other debt - pay ahead - save.  You could also use some of this to add to your stockpile of food, which allows you to stay out of stores even more.  Add an extra $10 or $20 a week for the extra to stockpile.  Buy the clearance, the sales, the digital coupons, all the DEALS and BARGAINS you can find.  This is food SECURITY!  That is a huge thing as inflation continues and life in general can change at a moment's notice.

Learn to freeze things or dehydrate or can if necessary.  If your fresh goods are coming close to time they need to be used - find an alternate way to keep them.  Ask - people here can help and you can Google these things and learn.  Watch videos and learn from blogs that have been around for a long time.  Ask your older family, neighbors and friends.
REMEMBER - Buy what you like/use and use what you buy.

If you make something and overdo an ingredient and it doesn't taste right - there are ways to fix it!  Don't throw it away and waste good ingredients.  This chart really does help and they are ways to SAVE a recipe!
Keep it in your mind - waste is NOT an option!

Cook from home, shop less, use everything you have, use it ALL up!  These are huge for all of us, especially beginners of the frugal journey.
Read, watch and learn.  There is always something new to learn - always!
Get creative and learn new recipes or try new things.  You may make the best meal you ever had - by just getting a little creative.

I hope this helps someone shop a little less, use up a little more, and save a little money.
We are here to help.  You have a question - just ask!

Have a wonderful first day of SPRING!


23 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with this, Cheryl, 100%. I have a grocery store 1 mile away, and if I'm running low or am out of an ingredient, I'll find a substitute, rather than run to the store. Not only do I walk out with more than I went in for, but I've used up gas in the car, as well as my time and energy. I consider that equally as valuable. When I do go out, I'll make sure I have my list in my handbag and will do my grocery shopping on my way home from wherever I was, often shopping during off-hours, so I can get in and out quickly.

    And for those who may be new to your site, I'd also like to add a note about the importance of having a meal plan written out and visible (on the counter, hanging on the refrigerator, sitting on the table), where it will serve as a daily reminder. With a weekly menu plan, you can check your pantry, refrig, and freezer for what ingredients you already have on hand, and create a shopping list to help keep your grocery budget in check. For me, I find that it' best to plan 3 meals a day for the entire week, so I can work leftovers into my meal plan. And when something changes in my menu plan, that un-cooked meal often gets rolled over into the next week, since I aleady have the ingredients on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips. Yes, not only are we using money on groceries, but all those other things - and YES our time is worth value too!
      I love the idea of 'shopping' from home first. If I think I want to run to the store for stuff - I just go through what I have here, and generally I am good to go. I mean that is why it is here.
      I really like the idea of meal planning - although I am not the greatest at this. I do know that what I have will be used in some way - just not good at meal planning in advance. I admire those that do!
      Love the tips and advice. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Happy Spring to you! I'm sure the bitty kitties love looking out the windows at the birds and animals.

    Unless a special meal is planned, use what you have in the pantry, refrigerator or freezer. Kind of like how I consider my wardrobe.
    I wear what I have. We do keep a deep pantry which is a major blessing when it comes to meal prep. Maybe someday the Farmer will get on the meal plan wagon. Miss Lori K is right...consider what other things you purchase when you "run in for one thing" and the gas used to get to the store. Gone are the days when shopping was recreation.

    Beautiful sunshine today! Still kind of chilly but there are plenty of inside jobs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love it - and just chatter and chatter (Bitsy does) at all the birds!
      I agree - unless I am needing something very special - it is all from the pantry/freezer. I have a deep pantry as well - that is my personal grocery store. Gas is so expensive, I stay home most of the time.
      It is gorgeous out - I just came in from mowing. My cheeks are rosy!!! (from the chill)

      Delete
  3. Good advice, Cheryl. I think bargain hunters get into an addiction mode of shopping frequently for mark downs and end up with more food that can even be used. It's important to remember that there will be more opportunities for specials and discounts whenever you shop. Stores are always trying to lure you in.
    As I've mentioned, I shop once a month because I'm a distance from the city and I don't wish to put more carbon into the atmosphere. So my last monthly shop was January 29th as I was due to shop again on February 25th. On February 25th I did not do a month's shop as I had an appointment on March 1st and decided to do my stock up then so as to have fresher eggs, etc. My March appointment was cancelled and there I was with only 2 dozen eggs! crisis! We eat a lot of eggs but we decided to tough it out until the March 25th shopping day. Never have eggs been so delicious and appreciated as in the past month. I have 3 left!!
    I am glad that I have a bread machine as I've been using it to make the dough for pizzas and hamburger buns as well as all the bread. Significant savings. I would recommend though that if anyone decides to make their own bread, do not buy those itty bitty yeast packets. Go to a wholesale or food service store and buy 1 or 2 # packages of yeast. Once opened, store in the fridge, tightly sealed to keep moisture out.
    Get out for a walk, friends; whether in snow or mud or whatever. You'll feel better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is kind of addiction as well. I know in the past - I would go just "to see" what they had - not needing anything. I have stopped that.
      You go gal - that is fantastic that you have gone so long. You need to get extra eggs when you DO go and freeze them for these times! I bet you have treated them like gold, stretching them out!
      Yes, bulk yeast is much cheaper. I always have yeast in the freezer, just in case.
      I got out and mowed today. It is sunny, breezy and very chilly - but it felt great to be outside doing something useful.
      Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  4. We seldom eat out because of my digestive issues, inflammatory Bowel Disease. I use leftovers always as like you say, waste not want not. I like to shop once a week to pick up the specials if I need them and just to get out of the house and I get my errands done then too, like the library, and coffee with friends, and a bible study. We don't live far from town any more like we used too, only 4 miles now, but I need my visits with friends :) Your advice is good though. I could stretch out my grocery visits if I need too as I usually do pick up more than just the specials. I do keep my pantry and freezer stocked so there is always something to eat. Nannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nannie. I understand the need to get out. I do go out from time to time for lunch with friends. I like the library. I always try to do all things in one trip.
      That is me - if I go for JUST specials - it isn't JUST specials that I get. I think that is most people. So those trying to save, should maybe not do that. They need to get in the habit of stretching the visits - then when things get better, they can go more often.
      Having a nice pantry and freezer is sure a gift!!!!

      Delete
    2. I am taking your words to heart though Cheryl :) Makes me think if I could just wait until the next week to go get groceries. This week though it is the Easter ham and candy I am after and on Wednesday it's senior discount day on everything :)

      Delete
  5. Milk and bananas are everyday needs for me, so go more often to store than you suggest. I am capable of only getting what I went in to get...lol. But, do I? We had no carrots to bake with the chicken breasts and potatoes. Well, we did without. I often go without or sub something else. Tommy opened a can of peas for himself. I am only a mile from Publix, and we pass it every time we go anywhere.

    Spring starts at 10 tonight.
    If a dish with tomato sauce has a 'tinny' taste, put a dash of cinnamon in it. Do not shake more than once or you will have cinnamon spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my milk - but it lasts me all week. I eat fruit every day - but don't buy it every day. I get it and use as necessary. I just hate going into stores much anymore. Subbing is always a good thing.
      Good tip on the cinnamon - but yes, be careful!

      Delete
  6. Great advice, Cheryl. Use it all up before you go back to the grocery store. We haven't done weekly grocery shopping in years. I'm lucky to get there once a month. LOL

    It's cold here today too, only 45 right now. But, not for long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I rarely go weekly. I like that so many can stretch the times between shopping.
      It is pretty chilly here today, because of the wind! Dang it is windy. Yep - not for long.

      Delete
  7. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 19, 2024 at 3:42 PM

    Happy Spring!
    We do the city shopping just once a month. That's Sam's, Aldi, and Trader Joe's. Milk and bananas are daily staples here, as well. Hubs eats the same breakfast every day that includes those. Sometimes we can get by with just a dairy stop, but not always. I've always been pretty disciplined at the market since my single days of not being able to go 1 penny over! I tried the every 2 weeks shopping, but I was always running out of something, even with a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debby! Once a month is great. That is disciplined. Fresh items do come up in between, very understandable.
      You are a good example to new readers about having to watch that budget very closely. Thanks for mentioning that. Sometimes every penny does count!

      Delete
  8. I love that you're doing basics right now. I needed the refresher course! xo Cindy/WV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. Sometimes we all do. I forget as I get older, so I appreciate reminders.

      Delete
  9. All very good advice Cheryl. Thank you for sharing. Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. Just little reminders we all need from time to time.

      Delete
  10. Some great tips here! I love this kind of post :) Also, very good math! What a great way to think about saving. I have found that doing grocery pick up helps me save because I'm not going down all the aisles, with things catching my eye. It's amazing how we can save, just by stretching ourselves (and our food) just a few more days.
    Thanks Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. There are just so many ways to save a little here and there or to stretch things a little further. We just have to stop and think about it now and then and we often need reminders.

      Delete
  11. My mother was the queen of using it up. She never threw away a morsel of food. I had taken her grocery shopping the day before she died and afterward I went to her home to retrieve the fresh items. In addition to meat, dairy and veggies, I found small amounts of leftovers in the fridge. Each one was labeled and dated! Although she never wasted food when I was growing up, she wasn't quite as obsessive/compulsive with the leftovers, LOL.

    I like the idea of stretching out shopping trips, but the savings amount saved probably isn't accurate. If you shop less often, you generally spend more each time because you still have as many meals to cook. Fewer shopping trips certainly make life easier and you will save something, probably just not as much as you estimated.
    --Maxine, aka mikemax
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something about your mom's place. Bless her heart - just trying to use it up!
      I guess the premise to buy the same amount of food and just learn to make it stretch a little further. By not wasting and using leftovers - a lot of people could save quite a bit - because many don't do that now. Having a pantry to fall back on helps too. Simpler meals. I think that was what they were trying to stress in the articles that I have read.
      It is much easier not going a lot for me. I can get more creative - which is good!

      Delete