Good morning my friends. Here in the U.S. we are now on the last calendar weekend of summer! Fall starts on Wednesday. It is just so hard to believe how quickly this summer went. It seems like just yesterday that I was pondering plowing the garden and planting.
Summer is going out with a bang - it hasn't given up it's hold yet. It is still pretty darn warm here - 80's and 90's. As fall comes in - the temps fall and I think high in 60's and 70's are predicted. My kind of weather!!!!!
The stench of dead animal under the deck is finally dissipating some! I kind of think it was a sickly looking opossum I had seen around.
The hummingbirds have sure been active - I well imagine they will be leaving in the next couple weeks. I sure have loved having them.
Butterflies are everywhere. Monarchs are all over. I always look forward to the New England aster blooming in the fall, as it will be covered. Soon! I guess my plan of collecting that pretty top of the plant growing out front (millet) isn't going to happen. The squirrels have decided it is theirs and they have been devouring it!!
I have still been using up many of the older items from the pantry and freezer this week. Just trying to get a little creative. It's all good.
It has really been pretty quiet this week.
- I live trapped another groundhog. I am not sure if this was 8 or 9! Good grief. I saw it one day and got it the next. Didn't want to take the chance of it hibernating here and maybe having young. There sure has been a lot of them around this year.
- Harvest more tomatoes, peppers and onions and herbs
- Have been working on more deep cleaning and de-cluttering. Never ending battle
- I did a huge trim of the yard and mowed everything. I never think it really needs it - then it looks so pretty when I am done!
- Using up older items around here and eating from home.
- All the normal things - laundry in cold, line dry, fresh air when possible, scratch cooking, drinking water and tea.........
- I did go out to Kroger one day. Ads weren't good - but thought I would see if any markdowns. Found a few.
Some how I came home with an Armenian cucumber I did not purchase!
I really need to go and see if there are more freezer bars - silly me should have bought more. I froze a bag of them and tried and they are good!!! No sugar added, organic and 25 natural calories! They weren't clearance - just an instore special w/card.
Meals this past week:
Mex. chicken (leftover) soft tacos
Grilled turkey and cheese sandwich - slaw (home canned) - sliced toms
Spaghetti (from freezer) topped with Mex. chicken
Hoagie bread 'sort of' pizza
Cheeseburger and sliced cukes and tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes and zucchini/onion/red tom saute'
Faux crab salad sandwich and fresh veggies
SNACKS: end of cheesecake - apple cinnamon rolls* - fruit - no calories milkshake*
*will tell about these this week!
What have you been doing? Canning? Crafting? Gardening? Deals? Fall cleaning?
Hope this finds you well and happy.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gets understanding, for the gain from it is better than the gain from silver and it's profit better than gold.
Help us oh Lord, to appreciate the skills, words, and ideas we can learn from one another. Help us to understand how to not be dependent on man - but on You in all ways.