Thursday, July 2, 2020

Some of My Off the Wall Recipes

I know I post some unusual food items sometimes.  I am pretty easy to please and I hate to waste anything.  I like finding new ways to fix food.
I know that come heck or highwater - I will be eating - and eating well.  I have learned to experiment with food and have fun with it.  Waste has never been in my vocabulary.

I will try to give recipes for a few 'odd' things I make (sort of recipes) - as I just usually wing it!
**********

VEGGIE/RICE BURGERS (from last week)
I had leftover dirty rice and leftover refried beans.  Mixed them together - added some finely chopped onion, a bit of beef bouillon, and bread crumbs.  (You could use crushed crackers or even oats).  Got it a consistency that I could form patties.  I then fried on a non-stick griddle.  Browned both sides and topped with cheese as they were about done.  Made for a very tasty sandwich and a side the next day.
If you just have regular red or black beans (or any kind) just smash them up a bit and add to any type of leftover rice.  You an also use lentils as a base for veggie burgers.

Rice mixes available at Aldi.  These are very good and provide enough for a small family.  No need to make a huge pot of something when you can use these mixes.  Very comparable to name brand and less than a $1 a box.  I always have these on hand.


STUFFING PATTIES
I mixed a box of Stovetop cornbread stuffing mix (you can use any type) with an egg and about 3/4 C water.  I added a small can of chunk chicken.  You could add any type of leftover meat.  I have done with chopped turkey and ground sausage.  You can also leave meat out entirely.
Form into patties and fry on griddle until golden brown on each side.  These are very good.  Great as a side instead of meat.  You could also do these in a waffle iron.  I have done that as well.

SALADS
I make pasta salads with fresh veggies - more veggies than pasta.  Any type of veggies work.  Can use Mayo or store bought or homemade dressing of any type.
I add whatever veggies I have.  Above is  brocolli, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion, carrots with a little pasta.  You truly don't have to add pasta - I do, to make it more of a meal.

Ham, tuna, chicken or egg salad are huge summer favorites.  Eat on bread or bun or just plate it up with some veggies and chips and you have a simple, cool and refreshing meal.
I often add frozen peas to my meat salads - my Mom always did and so do I.  It just adds a veggie to the mix and it is colorful!

VEGGIES
Most of us steam or cook our veggies.  Some veggies are better roasted - can do on the grill in the summer.  I like sautéed or fried veggies.  We all think about fried potatoes, fried/breaded okra (YUM), fried green tomatoes or fried zucchini.
I like to add a bit of butter or bacon grease to a pan and sautee up green beans.  They are so good, add a bit of chopped onion or bacon crumbles.  Fried corn (or hominy) with diced onion and peppers is totally yum.  Love fried/sautéed  asparagus.
The list goes on and on.  Get outside the box a bit and try fixing things new ways.  Trust me you may find a new family favorite.  You can fry any type of veggie.

Another easy and fun food is fried apples!!!  Melt a bit of butter - peel and slice apples (got some that need used up?) and then add a bit of brown sugar or sugar and maybe a dash of cinnamon and cook until tender.  OH MY they are so good.  Great as a side with pork or use as a dessert!

TURKEY BURGERS
Turkey, chicken or pork grind makes great burgers.  It tends to be softer in texture, so you  may need to add bread crumbs, oatmeal, or cracker crumbs.  If you want a 'beef burger' taste add beef bouillon to your mix.  Fry up as you would with any burger.  This can be a healthier version of meat and it can be cheaper with the price of beef now.
I found a package of ground turkey in the freezer this week that I got on a clearance and made that into burgers.  Made enough for my meal and to freeze for later - all from a pound of meat.
You can also substitute in chili, tacos, meatballs, sloppy Joe's, etc.
1.19 and I got burgers for several meals - doesn't get much cheaper than that! (empty package - forgot to take picture with turkey in it!)

RICE MIXES
The mixes that I pictured above can be used in so many ways for a non-meat type meal. (Of course you can add meat if desired).
I use as a side dish, mix into burgers or meatloaf, use in enchiladas, burritos, tacos, frittatas, you name it.  I often make soup in the fall/winter with these being my base - just add veggies, tomatoes, broth, meat - whatever you want to add.  Makes for a nice hearty and tangy soup.

PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS
Not just a shroom any more.  They are great to use as a substitute for burgers.  Grill or fry until tender and top with cheese and plop on a bun with all the fixings.
I like to stuff the bella's with a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, a bit of shredded cheddar and jalapenos and bake or grill.  Oh my goodness these are so yummy.
I can make these as a main course.  Mushrooms are a wonderful substitute for meat - so hearty and meaty tasting.
You can stuff mushrooms with about any combo you can come up with and then bake/grill.  They sell stuffed Portabella mushrooms at the grocery and the are very expensive.  Make yourself a delicacy at home for much less $$


Hope this gives you and idea or two of lighter ways to eat this summer or just a lighter way to eat in general.  Get into using things in new and different ways - it really can expand your food adventures and your dollars!
ENJOY

26 comments:

  1. I would never have thought to mix up patties from rice or stuffing. The latter sounds interesting, almost like a hash brown but without the potatoes.

    We really like roast vegetables here. Especially I can get vegetables other than potatoes into my son. Your pasta salad looks like mine, lots of veg, less pasta. With some canned tuna it's a full meal deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuffing patties are really good. Kind of crisp on the outside and softer inside. The rice made for yummy patty as well.
      I like roast veggies too. They are so good.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your ideas. Your pasta veggie salad looks so good. I'm going to make some for this weekend.
    I love fried apples too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I am kind of out there sometimes, so not everything is for everyone!!!
      ENJOY your salad.

      Delete
  3. Loved your fried stuffing patties idea. So unique, but one of those "why didn't I think of that moments!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really tasty. Good for any meal. Hope you give them a try.

      Delete
  4. Your veggie pasta salad looks yummy! I've been known to throw leftover elbow pasta into Caesar salad...and a crushed slice of bacon. It stretches it, it's more filling, cheap and tastes great.

    One of my very favorite lunches is spent simple and healthy. I shred cooked chicken breast into 2 corn tortillas and top them with fresh salsa. 😋 Great in summer heat. I had that and a slice of 🍉 for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my kind of gal! lol
      Simple eating, especially on hot days is the best. I like most anything on a tortilla.
      The salad sounds good - why not stretch a little and add some different flavor - good thinking.

      Delete
  5. I have not been able to comment for ever so long but I finally fixed the snafu. I'm so glad because now I can tell you how thankful I am for your blog. I learn something new every single time you post. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and frugal measures you share. You are one in a million!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy so glad you fixed whatever it was! Look so forward to hearing your ideas and tips.
      Thank you so much - I sure appreciate getting such kind feedback.
      ENJOY

      Delete
  6. These are all great ideas! One thing I like to do is "Bubble & Squeak" or really, just a veggie patty. Leftover veg mixed with leftover mashed potato maybe a bit of flour - dip into an egg and breadcrumbs and fry it up - delicious - especially topped with an egg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMmmmm. You had me until top with an egg LOL. I know most people top things with runny eggs - and I can't do those! ICK!
      I love potato cakes - yours sound wonderful.
      Thanks

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love the stuffing patty idea. thanks for all the suggestions. We tend to get in a rut eating the same foods over & over again. Definitely need a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. We all need new ideas from time to time. I like easy and frugal and even things that replace meat (it is getting so expensive)
      ENJOY

      Delete
  8. I saw a recipe on Southern Living website today for Three Bean Pasta Salad. It was like the three bean recipe, but added pasta. I thought that was neat. The Stovetop and chicken sounds good. I will have to try that soon. I've been wanting to make dirty rice soon and bought the stuff to make it last week. Your recipes are always so good, Cheryl. We still make your Deconstructed Egg Rolls on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I really like bean salad as well - heck you can add pasta to about anything.
      I really enjoy the deconstructed egg roll as well. May be on the menu soon!
      ENJOY

      Delete
  9. LOL on the topping with the runny egg---NEVER for me! Also ick!

    Love your creative ways! I was trying to figure out what to do with a bag of riced cauliflower...ended up making "fried rice" with it...onion,froz mixed vegs that needed to be used, 2 eggs, S+P, and low sodium soy sauce. It was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - no runny eggs for me. Makes me gag to see them!! LOL Guess I am not alone.

      Your fried "rice" sounds good and so very healthy!
      Thanks for that idea.

      Delete
  10. Wondering if you could take the stuffing recipe and add a can of drained sweet corn and make corn fritters. We sometimes had those with syrup for supper as kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. You could add about anything you want I am guessing. Just need to adjust liquid input. That would be tasty - like old fashioned corn cakes. Good for breakfast as well.
      Good idea!

      Delete
  11. ...well, I wonder where THAT went! I also used the last of a can of black olives. Didn't have a lot of pepperoni, either. You are right, you can add ANYTHING to pasta salad. I used balsamic vinagrette for the dressing, but again...lots of choices. It's just what I had in my fridge, and no, nothing was dated or labeled!
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that happen as well - never - never land I guess.
      I just got more black olives this week. They are good in salad and on pizza and Italian food.

      Delete
  12. Well, that was weird. The first message went to Never Never Land, and the second one posted.

    In the first one, I commented on the way my mother put together leftovers and what she had on hand, particularly after my dad died and she didn't have to cook to please someone else. When she died and I cleaned out her fridge, all of her leftovers were neatly labeled with contents and date. (Never at my house!).

    I also gave the basic recipe for pasta salad for a crowd--one pound of rotini (or whatever you have), cooked, and one cup of any flavor oil and vinegar dressing. When I made it today, here's what I added...based on what was in my fridge: chopped onions (Egyptian walking onions from my garden), celery, red bell pepper and a little bit of pepperoni and some chopped black olives. You are right--anything works in pasta salad, but this is what I had. You are also right about eggs, LOL.
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am kind of the same way as your Mom - I am now alone and just fix whatever! Of course I experimented quite a bit when hubs was here as well - and he always ate it and said it was good.
      Your pasta salad sounds good. I am the same way - what I have is what goes in.

      I am sure not disciplined enough to label and date things. She must have been a very neat lady!

      Delete
  13. You and I are on the same page concerning being creative when preparing meals. We have used several different kinds of beans to make veggie patties, a favorite was butter beans. Fortunately the Urban Farmer and I are pretty much the same page when it comes to food. The only difference is that I don't mind leftovers as much as he does. I date and label packages so I know how old it is and use that bit up first. Can't totally rely on my memory (or the Urban Farmer's) these days...ha! Hope you got a good rain like we did. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound wise and frugal! I never thought of using lima beans in a veggie patty. I bet that is good.
      Glad to hear your hubs is on the same page. That is a huge help. Good thing when my dear hubs was here - he actually liked leftovers. He often had them for lunch or breakfast.
      Yes we got a nice downpour. It was appreciated.

      Delete