It was quite a hot week here this past week. We did get an occasional spotty shower which helped. Then yesterday happened! Had a nasty storm come through late afternoon. Torrential rain and HAIL the size of dimes for about 15 minutes. The wind was crazy as well. Stormed over night as well.
The leaves from the trees just shredded and they cover everything. My flowers got the stuffing beat out of them and well the garden looks like crap!!!!!! What a mess. I sure hope my zucchini survive - they have been really messed up.
The tomato plants will be fine (I think) - just really beat up, as are the cucumbers. It is an absolute mess outside.
The neighbor has a really nice patio tent that he sits under (out of sun) all the time and it is full of holes.
It sounded like a war out there - it sounded as if the windows were going crash any minute and the noise was just thunderous. Quite scary for a few minutes.
But thankfully my kitties are fine as is the house (I think) and greenhouse.
Yesterday as well, saw the first groundhog of the year! It is young for sure (pretty small). He is cute, but really don't want it here. I set a live trap early in the day, but sprang it when the storm was brewing. Also saw the racoon family (5) again last night.
Geesh it is a flipping zoo around here!
- Early in the week my neighbor mowed my front yard and outback area with his rider - as it was so hot. That was nice
- I killed weeds growing in the drive cracks with vinegar and salt (didn't take long in the heat)
- Received a small unexpected check in the mail
- Refilled all the pantry/spice jars
- Trimmed the back bushes, deadheaded flowers and staked up several tall flowers
- Picked 11 zucchini this week
- Made Kool-Aid for flavor drink
- I realized that last week when I paid bills - I sent a nice payment to the wrong charge card! I generally pay for most stuff with CC to get points. Well, since I had already sent it and it was out of the checkbook it was spent in my opinion. So instead of requesting a refund - I decided to stock some with that card. I got more food for nature - then I got non-edibles. More TP and pack of paper towels (which will last for over a year), organic flea spray for greenhouse kitties, cat food, parchment paper and plastic wrap, antiseptic wipes, freezer bags, several notebooks (.25 ea.) and trash bags. Just a bunch of general stuff.
- I mowed the entire yard - front to back - on Friday after it cooled a bit
- Doing all the normal stuff
This past weeks menu:
Mex. zucchini hash (leftover taco meat, zucchini and potatoes)
Sausage, zucchini, mushroom and rice mix-up
Fish and mac n cheese and slaw
Fried zucchini and leftover mac n cheese
Ham and cheese stuffed zucchini boats (soooo good)
Zucchini, mushroom, ground sausage and rice mix-up. Pretty tasty.
How was your week? Did you get any storms or rain this week? Hope your gardens are doing well and that you are staying frugal.
I have tons of blooms on my cucumbers this year - my golly if they all become cucumbers I will be in trouble!! LOL. There are tons of bees of all sorts and butterflies every where this year. I just love seeing that. I saw a goldfinch like no other I have ever seen, this week. I have yellow ones - but this almost seemed to glow! It was sitting on a sunflower eating young seeds and made the flower almost look dull. My goodness that was gorgeous.
It is those little things that make my day!
I hope you are all safe and healthy. Have a wonderful and frugal week.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.