Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Using What I Have and Making Do

I think we are all trying to use what we have and we all try to figure out how to repair things, and make something out of nothing!
I hate to throw things away - I try my hardest to figure out a use for them.

I don't know if you have ever tried Bragg's Liquid Aminos.  It is basically a natural soy sauce.  Same flavor, same salty taste - no added salt at all.  It is full of minerals and is actually good for you.  We started using years ago in place of regular soy sauce (Glen was on a lower salt diet then).
Before Glen passed we bought a gallon jug of it to refill our smaller bottle with.  The large bottle is just kept in a cool place but is not refrigerated.
I think we paid about $25 for the gallon - now it runs about $35/gallon.  I refill my smaller bottle from it.  I checked my 16 oz. bottle and it had a 4.99 price tag (it is an older bottle).  That would be close to $40 if you bought a gallons worth. 

You might want to look for this and give it a try.  We all like natural products.  It is really good!

I made Panko crumbs last week.  What did I use?  Well, I had a package of sourdough crackers that I had purchased on clearance at Big Lots a long while back.  It cost me .25!!!  As crackers - yuck.  Dry and pretty flavorless.
I put them in the Ninja and broke them down to Panko size - and I mixed in a partial container of Panko.  I will add seasoning when I use.  Waste nothing!!!!

My neighbor gave me a 20 oz. bottle of no sugar Gatorade last week.  I hadn't had any in years.  It was tasty.  I think he said 8 bottles cost him around $6.  I found packets you mix with a 20 oz. water for 2.99 for a 10 pack.  So much cheaper and less waste and trash.
Even better - I got my recipe out - to make my own.
I got the packets to give my neighbor for being nice.

1 pack of unsweetened Kool-Aid (any flavor)
1/2 C sugar or sweetener
1/2 tsp, salt
1/2 C orange juice (you can use lemon juice or lime - whatever you have)
Mix and chill. 
That sure is a lot cheaper than buying bottles at the store!  You know what is in it as well.

I fixed my flip flops last week.  They are a solid formed flip-flop.  They are sturdy made and very comfortable.  The strap finally broke through (after maybe 3 or 4 yrs.).  I am not ready to throw them out, so I repaired!!
They aren't sold very many places here - (Menard's is where I always find them) and I haven't been to the places that sell them in ages.

The white area is super glue that has dried.  The bond is super tough!  It worked and I have my shoes for a while longer.  I have been wearing daily and doing yard work in them for a good week now!!  Color me happy!

I have decided since we are back to state wide mandatory face masks AGAIN - I need to make a few.  I am going to use some vintage looking hankies I have here.  I have nice material for lining.  I will show you once I get them done.  Why not make them pretty and use something I have on hand right here. 

So there you have my weekly list of making do and using what I have on hand.
Have you done anything to 'use it up or make it do' lately???

We all are looking for all the ideas we can get any more!
Give us what you got!

28 comments:

  1. I can't remember if I posted my latest useitup thing or not. Sloppy Joes. My husband traveled a lot for his last job and ate out a lot. There were regular routes and stops he got comfy with. So our condiments box overflowed. I used the glut to make sloppy Joe mix! It was delicious although a real hot and spicy sauce!! We needed milk.

    I'm finishing up a bunch of masks I started last week, including some for Christmas gifts. While at the machine I'll be doing several clothing repairs. My challenge I'd to take 2 pairs of identical sweatpants and turn them into one! They are damaged in different places and I think I can do seam ripping and reassembly. They need not be perfect- as if possible!!!- but they'll be fine for winter cleaning and without holes!! The leftovers will naturally be put to use somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea on a way to use all the condiments. Sloppy Joe is so good - may need to make that soon.
      I like the idea on making 2 pair into one pair. Good thinking. As long as they cover you - that works. I have repairs that need done as well.
      Great ideas!

      Delete
    2. I've found fleece makes good swiffer floor rags and dust cloths.

      Delete
    3. You, Debby and I are on the same wavelength. I cut off and hemmed a pair of old, worn-out jeans to become a pair of old, worn-out shorts. I was kicking myself the whole time–they are basically rags–but there is a lot of stuff during the summer where a pair of old, worn-out shorts are just the ticket.
      --Maxine

      Delete
    4. Frances, I will try the fake Swiffer fluffs from the scraps. I've always made them from flannel. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
    5. I don't know how well sweatpants fleece would work for the dusting fluffs, but they should be good (fuzzy side out) for the floor dust mops. Fuzzy on both sides, blanket fleece would make good swiffer dust wand fluffs. I made some flannel ones but didn't get good results after washing them.

      Delete
    6. You gals are just full of good ideas. I love it.
      I am enjoying them all

      Delete
  2. I am making masks, too. Just a couple so far but want to make several for the kids.
    I am trying to use up all the odds and ends we have in the pantry. It makes for some unusual (but tasty) meals....usually....lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you on the masks.
      Heck, unusual and interesting meals can be fun. Just don't let the pantry get empty!

      Delete
  3. My children like sushi, but sushi rice is really expensive here, so I use pudding rice.
    By the way, crispbreads are one of our favourites! Butter them and they wonderful with chunky soup (or split pea soup!) They surely are not crackers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know there was such a thing as sushi rice. I don't eat it - but learned something today.
      That is an idea to try next time - I find that crisp bread often for CHEAP.
      Thanks

      Delete
    2. I believe it is sometimes sold as "sticky rice" - that's what it is sold as here.

      Delete
    3. I am learning a lot today!
      Thanks

      Delete
  4. The plug on my laptop is loose at the computer and the plug in, so I took some electric tape and fixed it. LOL No more driving me crazy.

    Do you think pineapple juice would work in place of the orange juice in the homemade gator aid? I do have that on hand. For me, It's easier to buy online and have delivered than orange juice.

    We've used Bragg before, it's good stuff. I also use the Bragg apple cider vinegar with the mother.

    Good fix on your flip flops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think pineapple juice would be fine - it is the fact that you are adding real fruit juice for the vitamins.

      Good fix on the computer. My barely over year old computer has a crack in the case - where you open and close laptop. Well I got the tape with fiber out and 'mended' it. Works! I love homemade fixes.

      I like the apple cider as well. Good stuff. It is a very good product.

      Delete
  5. I’ve been wanting to make my own Gatorade as it’s expensive. I like to have it on days I now the yard. It takes over 3 hours to mow everything & it’s so hot & humid. I assume you add water to your recipe, sorry if I overlooked it. So how much does it make? Vicky in Ky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - well I guess I didn't say anything about water - did I?
      You use 2 quarts of water just like making 1 pack of Kool-Aid.

      It really is a good idea to have it on hand - sure helps the body.
      Thanks for pointing out about the water - I can't believe I forgot to add that!

      Delete
  6. Bragg's makes good products. What would we do without our Ninja? I use mine almost every morning to make a smoothie. Also make panko crumbs with any crusts of bread. The Urban Farmer uses it to chop tomatoes for chili or any soup using a tomato base. Let me know how your mask making comes along. I need to see what kind of scraps I have in the closet. On Pinterest I saw that people had made masks from the disposable shop towels. (Did I tell you that before?) Going out to weed before it gets hot (again). But you know we will all complain when it is winter...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bragg's products are great.
      I do use my Ninja every single day. It works great for cutting up veggies for relish or salsa and makes chopping cabbage a cinch. I got mine as a gift - and what a lovely gift it has been.
      Yep, getting ready to go out myself. Sounds as if it may cool a bit this week!
      Hey, we are never happy - got to have something to complain about!

      Delete
  7. DH had the sole separate from his fav weightlifting shoes..so, got out the "Shoe Goo" and we fixed it! We've been using that stuff since our boys were young...(and now the oldest is 50!)

    Love to repair things to make them last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job. I haven't heard of that stuff.
      I love making things last.

      Delete
  8. We waste very little fabric at Project Linus. I take the offcuts from the fleece blankets and cut them down into squares for scrappy blanket kits. Strips narrower than 8-1/2 in. I use for swiffer dust mop covers and dust rags. Scraps too small for that are donated to another charity that use them to stuff dog beds for animal shelters. Cotton offcuts are cut down to 5-1/2 in squares for scrappy quilt kits. Some of our older volunteers like them because they cannot cut fabric themselves. I cut down anything smaller than 5-1/2 in. to 2-1/4 in. strips for scrappy binding.

    I have two pairs of ancient jeans on my work table waiting to be made into one pair of "franken-jeans" for yard work.

    Flattened cardboard boxes are laid down to cover my garden paths and keep the weeds down. I use newspaper on my counter to catch the vegetable waste when I make salad. Unfortunately, we can't compost due to wild animals. We use junk mail and the back of old page-a-day calendars as note paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. Good job on using up the fabric - so many options.
      I have those franken-jeans as well. Hey they cover my bum and protect my legs when doing yard work - that is all that matters! I have so many patches on some of mine that they are more patch than original!!!!!

      Great ideas on the cardboard. I use newspaper for drainage of grease. I re-use junk mail and envelopes as well. Envelopes make good coupons holders and grocery lists.
      Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
  9. I once sewed the strap of my daughter's Crocs back together. It worked great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Wouldn't have thought of that.
      Thanks

      Delete
  10. Funny thing with Gatorade...I don't like it. I can drink it, but don't like. UNLESS I have been outside working and am hot and thirsty, and then it is wonderful. But just to get one out of the fridge, not my thing.

    Yeah for fixing your flip flops. I told Roger my favorite pair has a flat. Where my big toe fits on both flip flops are so flat. But I wore them last summer, and I always get out of bed and put them on. I wear them in the house in winter. The bad thing is I cannot find a pair that I like to replace them. The ones Walmart had this summer had a harder bottom...more a plastic feel than rubber. I wish I had looked early on at the Dollar store...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had Gatorade in years and this one was pretty good. I never liked it before.

      I hear you on the flip-flops. I can't find what I want- I guess I might be able to order a pair. I know what I like and that is what I want. LOL

      Delete