Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday Tidbits

 A few tidbits to think about and use.  It doesn't take a lot to jazz up a regular dish or make a new 'favorite' for the family.
Maybe you will find a hint or tip that you can use!

  • Add a couple tablespoons of strong coffee to any chocolate cake or muffin recipe.  Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor.
  • Think about using chocolate milk instead of regular in puddings or mixes.  Add a tablespoon of vanilla to about any baked recipe to elevate flavor!!
  • Add fresh diced tomatoes to coleslaw.  My sister in-law does this and it is so good.  It is a requested dish at all gatherings.  Finely chop the tomatoes - it really adds a new dimension to slaw!
  • Deviled eggs all spruced up!  Instead of using mayo think about sour cream or onion or ranch dip.  I use sour cream a lot and it really adds to the flavor of the eggs.  I have used ranch dip as well and YUM!
                    Great way to use up those cake mixes you got cheaply over the holidays
  • Use brownie, cake, muffin or cookie crumbs on top of ice cream or pudding
  • Reuse those squeezable condiment bottles - wash and use for decorating icing on cakes and cookies
  • Do your nuts or dried fruit always drop the bottom of muffins and quick breads?  Dust them well in the flour mixture before adding to the batter.  It helps them stay 'afloat' in your batter when baking
  • Keep a pair of kitchen shears ALWAYS handy.  They are great for 'chopping' green onions, lettuce or anything that isn't too hard.  I have used to cut bite size pizza pieces and have even used to cut up meat before using for stir fry.  Many uses - wash thoroughly after every use in hot soapy water.
  • Peel your broccoli stems before cooking.  That makes them so tender and you use more of the veggie - no waste.  The stems are actually my favorite part!!!!  You can keep those peelings (cleaned) in that baggie of goodies for making veg stock.
                                                           An oldie but a goody
  • Cut a sandwich into quarters to make the 'fancy'.  Any sandwich looks fancier this way!
  • Keep a small container of instant potatoes on hand - they are great to use as a thickener in soups and stews and it's added an added veggie!
  • Add a spoonful of mayo per every 2 eggs you whip up to scramble.  It keeps them fluffy and it is really tasty!  No more dried out scrambled eggs
  • Always place your flour or sugar canister in the sink (dry) before filling.  No more mess all over the countertop!
  • Have baked beans left over (think Easter).  Smash them and add to meatloaf mix before baking.  Moist meatloaf!  Smash and season with a little taco seasoning and use in tacos or tortillas like refried beans.  Make yourself a bean sandwich - really good - I know some are saying yuk.  Use in open face sandwich (great on buns) with a slice of cheese on top - broil till cheese is melted and bubbly.  Great side.
  • Ground turkey or chicken - if you want to use in a more traditional ground beef way - add stuff!  Add beef bouillon (I always do), shredded cheese, or chopped mushroom and/or onion/peppers.  Stick in some bread crumbs and an egg and some of the above ingredients and make 'meatloaf; burgers.  You can really jazz it up and stay healthy.
Just a few tidbits to stretch a dollar or spruce up your cooking/baking.  I love finding new ideas that enhance flavors and make cooking fun.

Anyone have a great tip they use?  Please share!
Have a wonderful day!!!!!


27 comments:

  1. Lots of great ideas! I remember my Mom always pouring coffee right out of the percolator into anything chocolate that she was baking but especially frosting. Yum. The tomatoes in the coleslaw sounds interesting since I always make for more than one meal. Tomatoes in the last of it would make it a different salad in some respects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - coffee can really make chocolate a lot more flavorful.
      Give it a try - it is really tasty. I didn't think I would like it - but I did.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! Love the idea of adding leftover baked beans to a meatloaf. We watched an episode of Kent Rollins' show where he make three kinds of deviled eggs. One was the way his wife makes them, with deviled ham. I made a meatloaf using ground beef and ground turkey for the Sabbath lunch last week. It was excellent, even if I do say so...ha!

    I covet your prayers for our family. We were notified yesterday that a great-nephew passed away at age thirty-six. Third death in our family since December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved to switch up deviled eggs. Your meatloaf sounds great.

      I am so sorry for your families loss. That is just so terribly sad. So young - but an Angel for the Lord now. Prayers my friend.

      Delete
  3. Donna, I'm so sorry for your loss. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad - we just never know what tomorrow will bring. Hugs those close.

      Delete
  4. Cheryl, I love your blog posts this week! I shared them. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum,, I am going to add tomatoes to my cole slaw next time. And I like the idea of using chocolate milk instead of white in puddings and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it. Such a summery addition.
      Chocolate milk just a boost of flavor.

      Delete
  6. I love instant mash with a little curry powder. My Mum used to add baked beans to curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used curry much - will have to try it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for all the creative and tasty ideas. Can't wait to try several. One I like to do is when I make fruit salad is add a little either vanilla or almond extract. Really adds lots of yummy goodness! Cheryl, you just keep adding the fun to being in the kitchen. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm that sounds good. Extracts really do accent flavors. Thanks.
      Aahh thank you - how sweet. If we have to cook - it might as well be fun!

      Delete
  8. Cinnamon also tastes great with chocolate.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, easy dish for summer. diced tomatoes, cheese in small cubes, drained can of peas. Add a bit of mayo or other dressing. If it mixed last minute, it looks best, but tastes good any time, I am told.

    Since I am allergic to peas and hate mayo, people ask why I make it. Company likes it, it is easy, and one more dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds pretty tasty to me. Maybe you would like a substitute for mayo - perhaps ranch dressing.
      Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  10. I do fill my flour and sugar containers in the sink or else it would be everywhere. I want to try the mayo in the scrambled eggs. Thanks for the tips and hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure - you're welcome.
      Me too - I can't pour those out without a mess - so sink it is.

      Delete
  11. Roger always liked Thousand Island dressing, so sometimes I make his deviled eggs with it and he loves them. (I am not a deviled egg person...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that does sound good to me. I will dry that. YUM
      Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  12. Ooo, love you idea for using Ranch Dressing or sour cream in devil'd eggs. And your "now why didn't I think of that?!" idea for filling flour/sugar canisters IN the sink :). Love reading here, Cheryl, and getting great ideas for everyday life. Now to read the comments for more good ideas :D
    Take good care. It's supposed to get up to 80*F here tomorrow 😲
    Mary in So Cal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you get ideas that are new or that you can use. I hear you on the canisters - it took me years before I figured that out!! LOL
      The readers have such good idea - I love that everyone shares. We all gain!
      We have had 70" a couple times this week -b ut storms coming tonight and temps to drop. We have a couple below freezing nights coming up! So over it!
      Take care Mary.

      Delete