Sunday, March 21, 2021

Weekly Wrap-Up 3/21

 Happy Sunday and Spring to everyone.  (or Fall in the southern hemisphere).  It is a beautiful spring day here today - the sun is shining brightly.  Not the same could be said about the past week!!!!  I guess winter wanted to hang on and it sure gave us it's last hoorah!  
We are having March Madness here in our state (basketball tourney) - but I think March madness happened all over the country this week.  The weather has been crazy every where.

We started the week with rain, sleet and freezing rain on Monday.  Ice covered the trees and all the power lines.  Then it got a little better and boom Thursday we had 28 hours of rain and winds like crazy.  There was a lake in the back yard.
By Saturday things had really calmed down and all is getting back to normal.  We did have 3 nights that I had to cover my budding daffodils - due to below/or right at freezing.
This next week is supposed to be more spring like with temps in the 60's and showers. 
Things are starting to bud, perennials are popping up, the grass is greening and weeds are growing!!
I just turned and looked out the window and there sits 6 robins on the fence!   I can hear the birdies all singing their special songs - what a chorus.  Aaahhhh - spring!  

It has really been quiet here this week.  I was in a mood for some reason this week.  Just didn't have a lot of get up and go!!!  I am guessing it was because of the weather.  Hoping this week will be better.

                                                       Never forget this.
My week:
  • Found a pound of turkey burger in freezer and made it into tasty burgers - fried.  Most were put in freezer for future meals
  • Fried up a can of Spam - packaged/froze most for future quick meals
  • Drank lots of sparkling water from soda stream (w/fruit juice)
  • Ran out and got taxes done this week.  I went to a small business that has been in the neighborhood for years.  I just wanted to make sure I missed nothing - so much changed with G's passing.  20 minutes in and out - and I get a Fed. refund - owe state a little.  I think I will be comfortable doing them again  myself come next year
  • Ran to the library - right across from tax office.  They moved everything!!!!!  It will take some time to get used to.
  • NO grocery store this week
  • I have read a lot this week
  • Been working on more spring cleaning
  • Did lots of laundry
  • Cooking from scratch and using what I have in pantry/freezer, doing all the normal stuff we all do
  • Saturday I got to porch sit for a while and talk with neighbors - that was nice
  • I got to have a nice long telephone conversation with my friend on the other side of the country - it was so nice to just chat

Meals this past week:
Bacon, swiss turkey burger, slaw (home canned)
Potato soup (from freezer) and a grilled cheese sandwich
Green beans, potatoes and smoked sausage - sauteed (so tasty)
Fried cabbage with smoked sausage and potato cakes (from freezer)
Pancakes (freezer) and Spam
Beef and refried bean tostadas
Chicken quesadilla 

How was your week?  I hope no one endured extreme weather this week and that you are all safe.
Did you get any spring cleaning done?  Any great deals this week?
I hope you all have a great week.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.


Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, and be kind to one another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:31-32

26 comments:

  1. It was dark, gloomy and rainy most of the week. Yesterday the sun came out and it warmed up almost to the 60's. I was able to sit outside in the sun and read for awhile. It was so nice. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine makes all the difference in the world. I have been outside most of today doing odds and ends - sun is shining!
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. We had a lot of rain last week, too, but yesterday was beautiful. I took a walk, and we sat outside for a while. The next few days are supposed to be very nice.
    Most of our migratory birds are back. I have a pair of robins who are eating out of my tray feeder. They like black oil sunflower seeds and dried fruit. Guess no one ever told them that that robins don't eat at bird feeders!
    I'm going to PT twice a week, and it is going well. I have exercises to do 3 times a day for about 40 minutes each time. The therapist recommended heat, and I couldn't find our heating pad (which is at least 30 years old anyway), so I made a microwavable rice-filled heating pad. I had pre-cut pieces of cotton fabric on hand from my quilt making, so had to buy only a 3-lb bag of white rice ($1.89 at Aldi). Much better than spending $40 for a new heating pad that wouldn't conform to my hand and arm as well as this one does. I was so delighted to be able to use the sewing machine again!
    Read a lot this week. I'm reading a Canadian author, Pierre Berton, who wrote a number of books about Canadian history. Right now I'm reading about the War of 1812 from the Canadian point of view. I'm a history nerd.
    Meals this week include BBQ macaroni with meatballs (simmering in the crockpot), fish portions and chicken patties. Still trying to keep it simple. I managed to bake a pan of brownies yesterday, and Husband frosted them.
    Frugalities include the bargain heating pad, and using less water to wash the dishes since I'm still doing it one-handed. We also received our stimulus money, which is going toward medical bills and expenses.
    In preparedness, I replaced the broken toilet flush lever with one I had on hand. I always keep on hand at least one of every part I need to fix the toilet. Next time I'm at HD, I'll pick up a couple more flush levers. Also had to change a lightbulb above the washer. I keep a few bulbs of every kind we use on hand, too.
    Hope everyone has a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - sometimes the birds just haven't been told!!! LOL
      I think we probably have lots of worms available now!
      Great idea on the homemade heat pad! Very inventive!! Necessity is the mother of invention!
      Glad you are doing so well.
      You sound like me - I have extra everything for my toilet. I think I have 3 wax rings. I have enough light bulbs to last me the rest of my life.
      I guess we are just always ready. Preppers!!!!!
      Have a great one and continue to heal!

      Delete
  3. We had a week of beautiful weather, especially for March here in Saskatchewan. Friday was spectacular with 19C (66F)! It sure took care of a lot of the snow we had. Today, it's blustery and much cooler but for the sun is shining though the forecast says it will be cloudy later in the day. I'll take it - it's so much better than snow!

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it - any day with better temps and sun is better than snow!!! It is glorious here today. I have been outside most of the day.
      Glad you are getting better weather.
      Have a good one!

      Delete
  4. We had a good week here too. Did a lot of reading, cleaning, and all the other stuff we all normally do. I am so loving this weather though. I love that spring is here.

    I hope you have another good week, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is pretty out today!!!! Windows open.
      Thanks - I hope you have a great week as well.

      Delete
  5. Crazy weather started out at 14 degrees on Monday morning. Then by the next day in the 60's. Up and down here in Nevada. Lots of wind blowing most of the week and yesterday - Saturday a bit of snow falling but not sticking. Seems like the weather can't make up it's mind here. Pollen must have blown around with the wind because everyone is having allergies this week. Looking forward to staying in and working on house stuff a good part of the coming week. My husband has a DMV appt. to get his license renewed and I have a Dr. appt. that same morning so tried to get it all together so in the same part of town. Take care and have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I think Mother Nature has been fickle every where this week. Ups and downs - hopefully 'she' got it out of her system!
      Allergies have already started here as well. Seems early - not a good sign. Oh well - there is always something we seem to have to gripe about! LOL
      Glad you got your appointments on the same day. Take care and have a good week.

      Delete
  6. Our weather seems like it will pretty stable this week, hoping the pond under the clothes line goes away so I can start hanging out laundry! You said you were in a mood, but you seem to have gotten a lot in this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your pond goes away as well. Nothing like the smell of clothes that have hung outside!!!!
      I didn't feel like I did much - just was in a funk of sorts. I have to believe it was the weather!

      Delete
  7. Boy, we did have a range of weather last week! Hope that is the last of the nasty stuff. Today was beautiful. Our youngest daughter turned 46 today so we took her out to eat at On the Border. She's not a big eater so she took home enough for a couple of meals. We went back to Rural King so the Urban Farmer could buy another variety of blueberries. He put soil in the galvanized ring he bought and prepared the soil with an acidifier for the berry plants. He is going to plant potatoes tomorrow. I will either start cleaning out flower beds or working inside. May keep the inside work for the rainy days that are coming.

    We have some new little birds visiting our yard. They are the size of the house wrens and at first glance, that's what I thought they were. However they have a reddish brown head and neck. Mr. and Mrs. Eastern Bluebird are happy feathering their nest, so to speak.

    We all have times when things niggle at us. I agree with JGTE; you got a lot done this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed it was a weather week. Sunday was gorgeous. Looks like Monday will be as well.
      Glad things are working out with having the RK so close now!! I see you shopping there a lot!!!! LOL
      It is neat how all the birds and critters know when it is time to mate and nest.
      Thanks

      Delete
  8. Except for one day we have had beautiful sunny weather. That weather enabled Harvey to fix the gate.

    Even though your get up and go was not at it's usual, you still got lots done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you got the gate fixed. It is nice to get little projects done.
      I don't feel like a lot was done - but I did accomplish a couple things on my list.
      Blessings

      Delete
  9. We have some sun and wind, and then rain. IT is not consistently warm or yucky. Looking forward to all warm and sunny:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather just staying somewhat normal is great. It sure won't be long. Of course we will all be complaining about the HOT before you know it.

      Delete
  10. Can't say the same about the grocery store, we actually made two grocery store runs this weekend. Now we are all stocked up for awhile. We are very dry where we live and they are promising us some rains this week. I sure hope they're right. We need it. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks stock up is important. You do what you need and get the deals that are offered. Good for you.
      I hope you get some rain as well. Amazing how wet some places are and then how dry on others. Would be nice to have a happy medium!
      Take care

      Delete
  11. I think your "blue funk" was because of weather. I didn't feel up to doing much of anything this past week. Should have spent the gloomy cloudy weather starting my spring deep clean. Frittered the week away instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there and done that!!!!!! 100 times!
      It really is easy to do. Hopefully we both have a better week!

      Delete
  12. Hi Cheryl, Mother Nature can't make up her mind. ;) Here were had a high of 68 one day and snow the next. Today we have had snow, rain, grapple, sunshine and dark clouds. This weather really affects my health and I ended up sleeping for 10 hours straight once I finally got to sleep in the early morning hours. Last week we did some shopping and errand running, this week I plan to just be at home for the most part. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been a pip this year for sure.
      I am sorry it affects you so badly - but at least you are getting some rest. It doesn't matter what time of the day you get rest as long as you get it.
      Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  13. I would love to hear about the books you are reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Self Sufficiency on a Shoestring - by Alan & Gill Bridgewater
    Homemade - 707 Products to make yourself - Reader's Digest
    Grocery Story, The Promise of Food Co-ops in the Age of Grocery Giants - Jon Steinman

    Plus I am re-reading many of my self help books I have - Tightwad Gazette & Pinching Pennies

    I love books of ideas. No novels at this time!

    ReplyDelete